Suite on NCL - Can you please clarify a few things?

sadiwest

Just want to clarify a few things and am only finding bits and pieces of answers as I search. Thank you, in advance, for your input!

-We have a 2 BR family suite for DH, DD (4) and me. Also on the cruise are my mother/stepfather (mini suite) and mother in law/her...um...boyfriend (inside cabin). We are not "high maintenance" people, but have treated ourselves to the suite 1) as a 50th birthday gift for my DH and 2) via the use of timeshare points (meaning, otherwise, we probably couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't splurge on this type of cabin. (DISCLAIMER: I am not suggsting that suite guests are high maintenance, I only say that to convey that we're usually VERY casual and VERY easy to please. IT'S A VACATION, AFTER ALL!) We've been saving, however, for over a year to 'splurge' on whatever we want to spend on pampering, eating, shopping, and of course--for tipping.

ALL of that being said...here are my questions:

--If the 3 of us have breakfast or lunch at Cagney's, will our family members be allowed to join us?

--If we get food (maybe breakfast, or maybe snack-y stuff) in our cabin, is there a charge?

--If we are able to get 'priority' seating at a show (if we take advantage of it, even), will our family members be allowed as well?

--I know a congierge can book spa appointments and/or dinner reservations for you, but isn't it still necessary to book these pretty much as soon as you get on the ship?...I mean...they don't 'set aside' reservation slots for those who might want to book more 'last minute' do they? I'm guessing a suite guest wouldn't get any more priority over anyone else, would they?

I am *SURE* to have more questions, but that's all she wrote for now. :)

TIA,

Sandi

Edited by sadiwest
wanted to add disclaimer.

This topic comes up with a new thread about once a week. (scroll down to find more or search on suite).

Bottom line. People that pay for suite perks get them. Not their friends, parents, relatives, etc.

Just like on a plane. If you book first, you get those perks.

Sorry.

ALL of that being said...here are my questions:

--If the 3 of us have breakfast or lunch at Cagney's, will our family members be allowed to join us? Not as a rule - it is a perk reserved for Suite guests and some VIPs. I wouldn't count on this being able to happen.

--If we get food (maybe breakfast, or maybe snack-y stuff) in our cabin, is there a charge? Breakfast (even from Cagney's) and most snacky stuff is complimentary. The only charges for food in your cabin will be from any per charge specialty restaurants, $5 pizza and for some 'party tray' types things in your suite room service menu. The only difference in room service, is that you contact your butler - do not call regular room service, or you butler will bring it and tell you 'DO NOT CALL ROOM SERVICE _ CALL ME!!" :-)

--If we are able to get 'priority' seating at a show (if we take advantage of it, even), will our family members be allowed as well? I'm not really sure about this, so I won't answer.

--I know a congierge can book spa appointments and/or dinner reservations for you, but isn't it still necessary to book these pretty much as soon as you get on the ship?...I mean...they don't 'set aside' reservation slots for those who might want to book more 'last minute' do they? I'm guessing a suite guest wouldn't get any more priority over anyone else, would they?

The concierge always has 'extra' appointment time slots, even last minute. You may not get the exact time you want, but they do their very best to accommodate your needs / wishes.

I am *SURE* to have more questions, but that's all she wrote for now. :)

TIA,

Sandi

Enjoy the suite life - you'll LOVE it!

Breakfast in Cagney's is only for you 3. IF you choose to have the whole family together for breakfast, you can always have it served in your suite from there. Or just go to O'Sheehans or MDR for breakfast.

Snacks brought in by the butler have no charge, if you order the main course from a specialty restaurant for dinner served in your suite there will be a charge.

Spa appointments can be booked on your own, port days there will be special pricing for some treatments. I would suggest that. I don't think I'd use the concierge for that. As for dinner reservations, they do not book all time slots prior, you can go the day of and still get a table. Don't stress dining unless it is in Teppynaki.

Be sure to take DD to kid's club sign up during the posted times!

This topic comes up with a new thread about once a week. (scroll down to find more or search on suite).

Bottom line. People that pay for suite perks get them. Not their friends, parents, relatives, etc.

Just like on a plane. If you book first, you get those perks.

Sorry.

Yes, thank you. I would say 'no need to apologize', but I'm guessing your "Sorry" was more a "talk to the hand" and less "really sorry to disappoint you". That's OK, because--as I said--I'm "Not high maintenance" (see disclaimer in previous post). As it is pretty tough to tell a person's tone reading a post, I actually do apologize if I misread yours.

I did mention, however, (unless I'm so tired at this hour that I'm mistaken) that I was getting bits and pieces of info from my searches. This is why I thought it was OK to use this public forum to....ask my own question.

The single most important thing to me about this trip is being with my family (well, whenever they're not looking for alone-time, that is. It's their vacation, too, after all). I wouldn't break up the happy group for the purpose of taking advantage of the suite life, unless my mother gives us the night off and babysits :)

We don't eat fancy food, we rarely drink, if we see one show we'll consider ourselves lucky since DD will be our top priority. Just trying to size up what perks we can test and which ones we won't.

Have a great night (sincerely).

Let me address the priority seating at shows. On the Sun the seating for suite guest guest was on the far right balcony. We did ask the concierge if we could have 4 of our new found friends join us. She approved. Only advantage is you can come in near show time and you get a seat and they have a dedicated bar server. Or at least 2 seconds after I took my seat he appeared.

I also ask if these new found friends, which I found on cruise critic, could join us to get off early to catch our private tour.

Eating breakfast and lunch with the suite guest is the best perk. I wouldn't think about wanting to share.

I just got off the phone with my PCC because we needed to add an interior cabin next to our suite. According to the NCL PCC, suite passengers can invite up to two guests to join them for breakfast or lunch at Cagney's.

I wouldn't bank on that. I think it's probably up to the 'boss' at the time. Maybe on a case by case situation, but not as a general rule.

I'm not saying that it will NOT happen. I'm just giving you a friendly bit of advice to not bank on it.

I just got off the phone with my PCC because we needed to add an interior cabin next to our suite. According to the NCL PCC, suite passengers can invite up to two guests to join them for breakfast or lunch at Cagney's.

Hahaha. Completely untrue. Your PCC, like most PCC's, told you a complete fabrication.

Hahaha. Completely untrue. Your PCC, like most PCC's, told you a complete fabrication.

This is a case that I agree with LMB!! I know, surprise!!

You cannot take two (or any number) of guests to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. There will always be someone that comes along and will tell you they did it. Chances are, slim to none. Confusion comes in because some time back, NCL started to allow Haven guests to bring up to two guest to a meal in the Haven by arranging it in advance and paying $25 per person. This was never the case for ships without a Haven.

Family or friends can join you in your suite for meals served by the Butler (if you have seating/space) to do it. The Concierge may or may not allow you to have guests join you in the reserved suite seating for show (on some ships this seating is for Owners Suites and above). The Concierge will usually allow you to bring guests for priority tenders if your cruise has them.

Bottom line...its up to the Concierge... Regardless of what others have done (our non-Haven friends were able to join us in Haven Restaurant and other specialty restaurants at short notice...just not for lunch on embarkation day). But really The Concierge makes the final decision. Just ask...worst he/she can say is no....

This is a case that I agree with LMB!! I know, surprise!!

You cannot take two (or any number) of guests to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. There will always be someone that comes along and will tell you they did it. Chances are, slim to none. Confusion comes in because some time back, NCL started to allow Haven guests to bring up to two guest to a meal in the Haven by arranging it in advance and paying $25 per person. This was never the case for ships without a Haven.

Family or friends can join you in your suite for meals served by the Butler (if you have seating/space) to do it. The Concierge may or may not allow you to have guests join you in the reserved suite seating for show (on some ships this seating is for Owners Suites and above). The Concierge will usually allow you to bring guests for priority tenders if your cruise has them.

I agree with this 100% except that I would change this statement - "This was never the case for ships without a Haven." to " This was never the case for ships without a DEDICATED Haven RESTAURANT". I will add that Priority Theater Seating access changes from ship to ship, and even from concierge/week to concierge/week within the same ship. Noticing that the OP is sailing on the Gem and mentioned a two bedroom family suite (I am guessing not Haven Two bedroom but one on deck 11) - I would estimate the chances of even the suite guest having priority Theater Seating as about 50% (depending on the total occupancy of all the suites on board).

As for bringing guests to the breakfast/lunch suite dining venue, there are different situations where different exceptions are made by the concierge. The most likely to get an exception are those with minor children booked in a connecting cabin, where the suite is filled to capacity and there is no possibility of moving the overflow to another suite (as in no suite situation on that ship that would accommodate seven passengers in one or connecting suites). For example a family with two adults and five minor children - if they are booked in the two bedroom with the overflow of minors in the connecting mini suite - likely yes, not guaranteed of course, but likely, especially on a ship like the Sun which offers NO suite combos to sleep a family of seven in one or connecting suites. Of course, if there is an OS with connecting PH available (able to sleep 8 passengers), and they could book that to be guaranteed access for all, and your chances for an exception in booking cheaper suite/non-suite combo goes down. Once you start adding in overflow adults, and cabins not connected, your chances go down to slim to none. It happens, but rarely. On less crowded sailings, your chances may be slightly better. Often people will recommend you ask the concierge to make an exception, but I personally am not comfortable with that - plus generally the concierge makes it clear upon boarding with an overflow group what his/her rules are, and will often approach you personally to lay out the rules before you even get a chance to ask. The ship itself makes a huge difference - those ships with less suites will get the most exceptions, and ships with a dedicated full-time Haven restaurant and all suites being Haven (Breakaway, etc) generally make NO EXCEPTIONS, but on those ships you can bring two guests (I think) twice per week, at a cost of $25 each, to the Haven restaurant for dinner.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion! :)

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The OP's question were genuine and just enquiring as to how things may work.

I do however find it strange that some posters on here seem to expect that they can have all the extra perks that go with a suite for their friends, when they've not paid extra for it. One poster wrote that they thought that priority boarding was an outdated concept and reminded them of the Titanic. As other would say, it's no different than first or club class in a plane.

We've got our first suite in August. Originally I booked a mini suite and my parents a penthouse. When I found out that they had all these perks like Cagneys I didn't expect to be able to piggy back on their payment, so I upgraded at a cost of over £2,000 (two weeks peak season out of Venice). If I could have kept my mini, saved the money and had the perks I would have, but that wouldn't be fair to all the others in a mini or a suite. Just my pennies worth :)

The OP's question were genuine and just enquiring as to how things may work.

I do however find it strange that some posters on here seem to expect that they can have all the extra perks that go with a suite for their friends, when they've not paid extra for it. One poster wrote that they thought that priority boarding was an outdated concept and reminded them of the Titanic. As other would say, it's no different than first or club class in a plane.

We've got our first suite in August. Originally I booked a mini suite and my parents a penthouse. When I found out that they had all these perks like Cagneys I didn't expect to be able to piggy back on their payment, so I upgraded at a cost of over £2,000 (two weeks peak season out of Venice). If I could have kept my mini, saved the money and had the perks I would have, but that wouldn't be fair to all the others in a mini or a suite. Just my pennies worth :)

See, now there's a calm, cool, non-accusatory tone :)

Thank you for your understanding. I was genuinely (as you said) just asking. I'm not even sure we'd "take advantage" of the 'perks', since being with our family is priority #1. I'm not saying we won't ask for snacks at night, etc., but just having two bathrooms (as large or small as they might be) is a luxury for us. This is the 2nd cruise for our DD, but the first was at age 18 months. I doubt she even knows she was on a ship (well, twice before if you count our Bermuda cruise when I was pregnant - LOL).

I appreciate the input and non-bashing answers. Thank you.

Sandi

Edited by sadiwest
Spelled a word wrong. Silly me.

See, now there's a calm, cool, non-accusatory tone :)

Thank you for your understanding. I was genuinely (as you said) just asking. I'm not even sure we'd "take advantage" of the 'perks', since being with our family is priority #1. I'm not saying we won't ask for snacks at night, etc., but just having two bathrooms (as large or small as they might be) is a luxury for us. This is the 2nd cruise for our DD, but the first was at age 18 months. I doubt she even knows she was on a ship (well, twice before if you count our Bermuda cruise when I was pregnant - LOL).

I appreciate the input and non-bashing answers. Thank you.

Sandi

No problem Sandi, I found out my parents had all these perks and we didn't by posts on here. We all decided to upgrade as my mum and dad were having one of my sons in with them anyway and didn't want to split us up.

On another note I booked a Junior Suite on RC and then found out you don't really get any decent perks as it's not really classed as a suite. Bigger room and priority boarding really. That was a disappointment. That's why I use CC for good info all the time now :)

There was a program where you could invite up to 2 guests, no more than 2 times in a 7 day cruise, at a charge of $25 / guest.

I'm not sure if it's still running.

There was a program where you could invite up to 2 guests, no more than 2 times in a 7 day cruise, at a charge of $25 / guest.

I'm not sure if it's still running.

I'm pretty sure it's still running, but I believe it's only for dinner, and only on the ships with a dedicated Haven restaurant (like the Breakaway). I've never seen it on the Gem, Jewel, etc and never for breakfast or lunch (hence why I've never seen it on a ship without a dedicated Haven restaurant for dinner).

Robin

I have to agree with this. We always fly first class - just refuse to fly coach. Personal preference. I can't imagine what it would be like if they allowed non-first class fliers to board with their family :rolleyes: I can't imagine asking for suite perks for non-suite guests, either. In fact, we nixed the idea of a suite on the Getaway because I knew my parents would not waste the money on a suite on a cruise ship. I just don't understand why the question would even be asked. :confused:

Is the trip you talking about on the Dawn? If so, there aren't any interior cabins next to any suites. There are some across the hall, but not next to in case you were looking for a connecting door.

I have to agree with this. We always fly first class - just refuse to fly coach. Personal preference. I can't imagine what it would be like if they allowed non-first class fliers to board with their family :rolleyes: I can't imagine asking for suite perks for non-suite guests, either. In fact, we nixed the idea of a suite on the Getaway because I knew my parents would not waste the money on a suite on a cruise ship. I just don't understand why the question would even be asked. :confused:

Perhaps she asked because she didn't know the answer??? Everyone doesn't cruise in suites every time (nor fly first class). She didn't assume anything and some people on here have become so snarky if anyone even asks something they don't like. There are always a few who will jump in and act like the OP took time out of their day forcing them to read and reply. What are these boards for anyway? They have sure changed since I spent time here planning my last cruise.

Perhaps she asked because she didn't know the answer??? Everyone doesn't cruise in suites every time (nor fly first class). She didn't assume anything and some people on here have become so snarky if anyone even asks something they don't like. There are always a few who will jump in and act like the OP took time out of their day forcing them to read and reply. What are these boards for anyway? They have sure changed since I spent time here planning my last cruise.

I certainly wasn't trying to slam the OP at all. My comments were not directed at her per se, but rather a generalized statement. I guess it's just common sense, IMO. If you're not paying for it, why would you even think you are entitled to it?

Edited by SissasMomE

Agree with this completely. I have been reading this board the last few months to help plan for my upcoming Getaway Cruise. Not because I am new to NCL (I have been Platinum for many years) but because the ship is new. It amazes me how the same people answer just about every question posted on this board. It is almost as if they monitor this board 24 /7. They are not very polite and I have found are not even accurate in the information they post. But don't dare disagree with them or you will surely be bullied. Even if you call NCL and talk to the pre-concierge or your PCC or e-mail the Hotel Director on the ship, they will post that the NCL Employees are wrong and they are the only one's who know the accurate information. Yes these boards have changed over the years. Sometimes I want to answer their posts with "Get A Life."

Edited by ks

I'm pretty sure it's still running, but I believe it's only for dinner, and only on the ships with a dedicated Haven restaurant (like the Breakaway). I've never seen it on the Gem, Jewel, etc and never for breakfast or lunch (hence why I've never seen it on a ship without a dedicated Haven restaurant for dinner).

Robin

Yes they still have that program on the BA. Last week our friends had dinner with us in The Haven. They paid $25 pp.