How is the "free" coffee on Carnival?

LBeeE

After a career in the Navy I've had worse!:eek: As others have stated...the MDR and Room Service coffee seems better than the Lido (though I don't have a real problem with the Lido coffee). I certainly wouldn't make a decision on a particular cruise line based on coffee though. Every ship I've been on has a specialty coffee place that won't break the bank.

I bring flavored creamer from home as that's how I prefer to drink it-had no issue with the lido coffee last week, but agree that the MDR coffee is better

What a great idea! I'm a flavored creamer junkie! I have add this to my future cruise notes to make sure I bring some with me. Thank You:D

I was on my first CCL cruise in January of this year and did not have a problem with the coffee. The flavor was just OK and did not expect the coffee taste like Starbucks :)

I was pleasantly surprised with the lido deck coffee on the imagination a couple weeks ago. But I do use a lot of half and half and sweetener. I've definitely had way worse and I'm usually wary of vat coffee since it's often more acidic than my stomach can handle. I didn't try it until the sea day when I knew I want going anywhere!

Actually, the coffee on the Lido deck isn't all that bad. I've had better, but I've had worse. Much worse. There isn't anything more horrible than vending machine coffee.:eek: If the coffee on the Lido deck isn't quite to your liking, do as others have suggested and add a little flavored creamer. Word of warning. If you opt to take a small jar of creamer with you, pack it in your checked luggage, NOT your carry on. On a past cruise, my DW packed a jar of (powdered) creamer in her carry on, and when we put our carry ons through the scanner at the airport, it must have triggered something, because the TSA agent searched her bag. Fortunately, the jar was still sealed, and he passed us through. Gave my DW a bit of a scare though.

At home I drink Eight O'Clock coffee, and my favorite coffee to get out comes from QuickTrip (gas stations). Don't care much for McDonalds and can't stand Dunkin Donuts stuff.

So I guess I'm not too picky, and I found the coffee onboard in Lido to be just fine. I couldn't tell a difference between it and the MDR coffee.

It's been a while since I cruised Carnival so things may have changed. Figure that into my comment. I have cruised Carnival, RCCL, HAL, Paul Gaugin, Wind Star, Seabourn, Renaissance (before bankruptcy) and soon Silversea. I never noticed the coffee to be remarkably good on any of them except Seabourn and their specialty coffee was the same beans as their espresso only not as strong. Since that was included in the price I opened the coffee bar each day. If you are someone who drinks coffee as a treat to your day and really enjoy a good cup then the specialty café is probably a good choice. Why go to coffee shops regularly and then shun the same priced coffee on a ship? Why grit your teeth and complain then race to Starbucks after the cruise?

I will be on the Miracle next month and will see if the Lido coffee is to my liking. If not, I'll go bite the bullet and pay extra, but then, I will only order coffee---not latte, frapaccino etc. Why? because I like coffee.

One thing I always try and do is to enjoy my cruise.

Edited by wildcat68

I am not a fancy coffee drinker and do NOT like Starbucks. I usually only get room service coffee and I think it is good. It is pretty strong but doesn't taste burnt like regular Starbucks coffee.

you said it on the Starbux!

In reference to the coffee in Lido - I don't think it's good. Below SBux. MDR coffee is good. I prefer an iced coffee in the morning and will splurge from the coffee bar - which to me ranks much better than Lido and Sbux but not as good as Caribou.

Is included coffee flavor REALLY a deal breaker for you? Wow!

I love coffee but am not a coffee snob. I will try any coffee, starbucks and fancy expensive coffee will do if nothing else around but I generally think it is a waste of money. I do like strong coffee (mmmm cuban coffee) and there is nothing like good fresh diner/truck stop coffee! Having said all that, the Lido deck coffee is pretty unappealing. I drink it in a pinch, but like an earlier poster I will usually switch to Bloody Marys if I forget to drink enough at breakfast. Room service is much more palatable and the main dining room is usually better too.

I agree the coffee isn't bad at all. Some people will complain about anything and everything.

I agree. My hubby and I are big time coffee drinkers, read numerous comments about how the coffee on the ships were undrinkable. I generally drink mine with flavored creamer only, and found that I drank the coffee on the ship black. It was very good.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

I have been bringing a 16 oz mug with lid with me so I can get a big cup of coffee and take it with me where ever I'm headed off to around the ship

Every cruise someone sees me with it and says "what a good idea"

Yes, the have mugs in the shops, but I bring one from the dollar store so I don't mind if it gets left behind at the end.

Just saying....

I have been bringing a 16 oz mug with lid with me so I can get a big cup of coffee and take it with me where ever I'm headed off to around the ship

Every cruise someone sees me with it and says "what a good idea"

I saw someone doing that. My wife bought a Carnival one for water. Next cruise I will definitely be packing heat...in the form of heat storing coffee storage or heat-repulsing cold drink storage. May look odd with my 64oz BubbaKeg :)

Been on 4 Carnival cruises in past 2 years. Coffee has greatly improved and is just fine. I drink it black and dont mind it at all. You will be fine. Have a great time!