Pacific Coastal Port or Starboard

marcyjane

It's true that at sea you probably won't see anything but ocean; but for the best views leaving L.A. and arriving at S.F. I would suggest a cabin on starboard side.

Edited by f-mattox

As others have stated, land will be to starboard, but again highly unlikely you will see it. Not sure what time you would be sailing into SF, probably pretty early, but city skyline will be on starboard side.

Starboard works but I was going to add that it doesn't matter. If you are on the good side arriving, you will be on the wrong side departing. So, one way or the other, you will have a view.:D

I agree starboard is best for an S.F. arrival. You will get a panoramic view of the city itself when you arrive, and a view of Alcatraz and the Marin headlands when you depart.

I believe the OP said it was a coastal from L.A. to San Francisco, in which case starboard would be the best side, both departing L.A. and arriving in San Francisco. You will also have great views departing S.F. but it will be too dark to see much arriving back in L.A.

Edited by f-mattox

I believe the OP said it was a coastal from L.A. to San Francisco, in which case starboard would be the best side, both departing L.A. and arriving in San Francisco. You will also have great views departing S.F. but it will be too dark to see much arriving back in L.A.

Definitely agree ! :)

An added bonus, when leaving L.A., is an eye-popping view of the battleship Iowa, from the starboard side balconies. Wow!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit
E

I may be too late in posting because you've already booked but I've done this cruise 5 times [i love the Pacific Coast] and, I love Princess ships. That said, I've done only Starboard and have now changed it to Port on my upcoming September 20th cruise onboard the Crown.

I've sailed the Sapphire, Star and Crown in a mini suite on Emerald Deck [starboard], my next cruise is on Emerald, Port. Why? Because every time the ship has docked it's been on the Starboard side in San Francisco and we had a view of a very dirty, poorly-maintained, badly bird-pooped cargo dock. The Port side had views of the city, marina and ocean. When the ship left the dock [in San Francisco] then the views were lovely but, unfortunately, the view was there from very early morning to late in the evening.

I'm so glad that I have a Port view on my last Coastal Cruise, which I hope will leave me with better memories of the ships docking in San Francisco.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

...I've sailed the Sapphire, Star and Crown in a mini suite on Emerald Deck [starboard], my next cruise is on Emerald, Port. Why? Because every time the ship has docked it's been on the Starboard side in San Francisco and we had a view of a very dirty, poorly-maintained, badly bird-pooped cargo dock. The Port side had views of the city, marina and ocean. When the ship left the dock [in San Francisco] then the views were lovely but, unfortunately, the view was there from very early morning to late in the evening...

Good point, since from your timeline it looks as though you'll be at Pier 35. I can't tell from any of the photos I've seen which will be the "best side" when docked at the new Pier 27. Perhaps someone who knows can chime in here.

Edited by Ryndam2002