Embarkation Time

lynn2002

I'm new to HAL. Our express documents are ready to print and I notice they have put an embarkation time of 1.00 p.m. We will be flying to Venice the day before and we had hoped to get to the port early in the morning to board the ship around 11.00, however the Express Documents give an embarkation time of 1.00 p.m. Will we be allowed to embark any earlier?

Also my friend uses a wheelchair and whenever we have sailed with RCCL we have received assistance boarding, however, there is no mention of this in the Express Documents.

HAL lists that embarkation time on all documents.

People get to the dock around 11 AM to check in and go through security. HAL usually starts boarding around 11:30. HAL also started something new a few years ago where they try to have the cabins ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry-ons and then do whatever you want.

Did you TA mention to HAL that your friend uses a wheelchair? Did the TA get a response from HAL in writing? It won't be in the documents. I have to have wheelchair assistance to get on the ship on embarkation day and off the ship on disembarkation and our TA arranges all this with HAL -- and sends us a copy of the letter.

I'm new to HAL. Our express documents are ready to print and I notice they have put an embarkation time of 1.00 p.m. We will be flying to Venice the day before and we had hoped to get to the port early in the morning to board the ship around 11.00, however the Express Documents give an embarkation time of 1.00 p.m. Will we be allowed to embark any earlier?

Also my friend uses a wheelchair and whenever we have sailed with RCCL we have received assistance boarding, however, there is no mention of this in the Express Documents.

If everything is running smoothly (without disembarkation delays), you should be able to board around 11-11:30. HAL does offer handicap early boarding assistance.

DaveOKC

HAL lists that embarkation time on all documents.

People get to the dock around 11 AM to check in and go through security. HAL usually starts boarding around 11:30. HAL also started something new a few years ago where they try to have the cabins ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry-ons and then do whatever you want.

Did you TA mention to HAL that your friend uses a wheelchair? Did the TA get a response from HAL in writing? It won't be in the documents. I have to have wheelchair assistance to get on the ship on embarkation day and off the ship on disembarkation and our TA arranges all this with HAL -- and sends us a copy of the letter.

If everything is running smoothly (without disembarkation delays), you should be able to board around 11-11:30. HAL does offer handicap early boarding assistance.

DaveOKC

KK & Dave... Is 11;30 boarding the same in all European ports now? Last time we were in Barcelona they would not let us board until around 1:30, but wonder if it has now changed, or is the boarding time only early in Venice.. Also in Venice, does HAL have their own staff?

Thanks..

Your friend or your TA on friend's behalf should contact HAL's Accessible Cruising Department to advise what his/her needs are and to request wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation. They always assign stewards to assist but they need to know who requires the help.

These contact points may be helpful.

Phone: 800-547-8493 (or locally at 206-626-7044)

TTY: 800-254-8669

Email: HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com

When I sailed from Venice I was surprised to find that check-in didn't start until 11:30, and boarding began at noon. I was used to the earlier times of 11:00 & 11:30 others have posted.

There will be a designated area for wheelchair assistance. People needing a wheelchair will be assisted in order of arrival. There is no "priority" based on cabin or Mariner status for wheelchair passengers.

We're sailing from Venice. I booked directly with HAL not through a TA and completed a form regarding my friend's disability but have received no acknowledgement confirming receipt of the form. I will telephone HAL this week and make sure they did received the form which I faxed to them.

We will be bringing a wheelchair with us so we don't need the loan of a wheelchair just the assistance to board.

We arrive the day before and will stay the night at a hotel near the airport and then take a taxi to the port. Will the taxi be able to drop us off where the baggage drop off is?

In the past we have always sailed from Southampton (we live in the UK and drive to Southampton) so a bit nervous how its all going to work out.

We arrive the day before and will stay the night at a hotel near the airport and then take a taxi to the port. Will the taxi be able to drop us off where the baggage drop off is?

When I sailed from Venice, the car pulled up to the baggage drop-off area and left our luggage. it then proceeded to the terminal to drop us off.

Check in normally begins around 10:00 AM.

You can expect boarding to begin in the 11-11:30 range.

The OP is boarding in Venice.. Ruth stated in a post above your's that check in was later & boarding did not begin until Noon.. Have you boarded in Venice earlier?

A Friend asked me about boarding n Europe generally as her Friends are boarding some place in Europe (?), & don't know what to tell her.. She'd not even sure which port her friend is boarding in..[:confused::confused:/SIZE]

I will telephone HAL this week and make sure they did received the form which I faxed to them.
Too late for this trip, but for future reference - we've learned that it's a good idea to mention in the fax that we'd like a confirmation by email. So far HAL has been VERY prompt with the email.

Princess is great that we can see on our Cruise Personalizer what requests we (or our TA) have made for us - such as wheelchair assistance at boarding. Hopefully this is something that HAL will add to their website.