Anyone has recent dinner menus from Alaska cruise?

YWW

Does anyone have copies of the MDR dinner menus from recent (preferably from this year) Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers cruises? Only found old ones on this board. Do the menus change year to year? Thanks.

There is nothing special about the Alaska menus in the MDR. They are exactly the same as any other itinerary. They will have some special Alaskan buffets at the Horizon Court and Trident Grill at lunchtime.

The last time menus changed significantly was a couple of years ago. Maybe not even that long ago. A menu from several years ago will be very different. That said, do a search for Princess menus and look at the date when they were posted.

The last time menus changed significantly was a couple of years ago. Maybe not even that long ago. A menu from several years ago will be very different. That said, do a search for Princess menus and look at the date when they were posted.

The menus had just recently changed before my first cruise with Princess in July of 2009, so sometime in the first half of that year. They changed again about 1-2 years ago, when they added the burger, tri-tip and creme brulee to the always available menu, but I would say that at least 75% of the rest was the same or very similar. They may have changed the sauce and/or side dishes served with the same meat/fish. All of my favorites have remained on the menus over my 5 years of cruising. They wouldn't dare drop the eggplant parmesan or twice baked goat cheese souffle, would they?! :eek:

They changed quite a bit in October 2012 when they added the "homestyle" stuff. They also dropped the "always available" beef tenderloin. So many people complained that the menus were revised and the tenderloin was back on the menu by 2013. Another change was dropping French night from the menus. There were a bunch of other changes that I don't remember right now.

Just off the Star to Alaska and the major difference in the menu's, as far as I know, is the King Crab legs. I've only seen them on the Alaska cruises lately, so if your love crab, make sure you eat in the dining room that night.

Just off the Star to Alaska and the major difference in the menu's, as far as I know, is the King Crab legs. I've only seen them on the Alaska cruises lately, so if your love crab, make sure you eat in the dining room that night.

partybarbie, do you recall which evening the crab legs were served in the MDR? Was it the Captain's Night? Are you saying all Alaskan cruises including the 7-day Voyage of the Glaciers serve Alaskan King Crab Legs one night? Someone was telling us the flaming Baked Alaska was served too in the MDR only on Alaska cruises.

partybarbie, do you recall which evening the crab legs were served in the MDR? Was it the Captain's Night? Are you saying all Alaskan cruises including the 7-day Voyage of the Glaciers serve Alaskan King Crab Legs one night? Someone was telling us the flaming Baked Alaska was served too in the MDR only on Alaska cruises.

We were on the 11-day Alaska, RT from San Francisco, and the crab legs were served as an appetizer, about midway through the cruise. It wasn't on the formal night though. Even though it's an appetizer, it's still a nice portion, and one can always ask for two servings.:D

As for the baked Alaska, that has always been offered on the last night, no matter where I have cruised to. Unfortunately, the "Parade of Baked Alaska" is normally only done on traditional "fixed" dining, and the flame is now a battery-powered candle. If you have anytime dining, the Baked Alaska is still on the menu, but there's no "Parade".;)

That is interesting... I had called Princess directly and our travel agent had called and were both told that Princess didn't serve crab legs any more. Maybe they meant to say they didn't offer an entree, but that wasn't what they said.

I have been trying to figure out all along how we were going to try King Crab legs on this trip.... I love regular crab legs but have never had King Crab.

I have heard so much about Tracy's crab shack in Juneau, we may have to split an order there, although, you just about have to take out a mortgage to get an order. (But, after watching Deadliest Catch for a while, I understand why.)

That is interesting... I had called Princess directly and our travel agent had called and were both told that Princess didn't serve crab legs any more. Maybe they meant to say they didn't offer an entree, but that wasn't what they said.

I have been trying to figure out all along how we were going to try King Crab legs on this trip.... I love regular crab legs but have never had King Crab.

I have heard so much about Tracy's crab shack in Juneau, we may have to split an order there, although, you just about have to take out a mortgage to get an order. (But, after watching Deadliest Catch for a while, I understand why.)

Well, you know how it is when you call Princess.:rolleyes: Anyway, they were serving them two weeks ago. You can also get them at the Princess Crab Shack for $20.00 per person. Make your reservation early though. We waited too long and then couldn't get in.

As for the baked Alaska, that has always been offered on the last night, no matter where I have cruised to. Unfortunately, the "Parade of Baked Alaska" is normally only done on traditional "fixed" dining, and the flame is now a battery-powered candle. If you have anytime dining, the Baked Alaska is still on the menu, but there's no "Parade".;)

On Alaska round trip sailings from Seattle, Baked Alaska is served on the 2nd to last night, because the last night they are in Victoria from 7 PM - midnight.

No menus but all the fish entrees were delicious.

We were on an Alaska cruise about 10 years ago (not Princess) and they served Fresh Salmon. My husband loves fish and said it was the best he's ever tasted. Hope they treat him to this on Princess.

We were on an Alaska cruise about 10 years ago (not Princess) and they served Fresh Salmon. My husband loves fish and said it was the best he's ever tasted. Hope they treat him to this on Princess.

Salmon is available every night, as well as Caesar Salad, Fettuccine Alfredo & Cheesecake.

Well, you know how it is when you call Princess.:rolleyes: Anyway, they were serving them two weeks ago. You can also get them at the Princess Crab Shack for $20.00 per person. Make your reservation early though. We waited too long and then couldn't get in.

What is the Princess Crab Shack? We are going to be on the Island Princess, if that makes any difference.

What is the Princess Crab Shack? We are going to be on the Island Princess, if that makes any difference.

This is too funny because the Island Princess is the ship that DH and I went to the Crab Shack on (and we didn't even need a reservation). On the Island, a back portion of the Horizon Court is sectioned off and the tables have candles and cute paper table coverings. There's a special menu that includes, shrimp, crab, hush puppies, etc. If you do a search on this forum, there were a number of threads that had the full menu.

If you are lucky, the Asst. Maitre'D, Guido Ascolani, will still be there. He's a wonderful Italian man who came to Princess from Sitmar, 25-years-ago, on the old Fair Princess.

I found this thread from another ship, but I figure they should all be pretty similar. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053637&highlight=crab+shack

It looks good.

Now I am torn between shelling out the money for Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau, or trying them on the ship. (My guess is Tracy's should be better... especially because I have read you can usually find some of the ship's officers there when the cruise ships are in port.)

I also like the fact I might be able to turn the $30 voucher for a bottle of wine into an OBC since none in our party drink. :)

Edited by 1153rsmith

I found this thread from another ship, but I figure they should all be pretty similar. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053637&highlight=crab+shack

It looks good.

Now I am torn between shelling out the money for Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau, or trying them on the ship. (My guess is Tracy's should be better... especially because I have read you can usually find some of the ship's officers there when the cruise ships are in port.)

I also like the fact I might be able to turn the $30 voucher for a bottle of wine into an OBC since none in our party drink. :)

They probably are better at Tracy's, but Tracy's is expensive. I would have paid to try something there, but it was crowded, and my dad took one look at the prices and refused to eat there, lol.

What I would do is try the Crab Shack before you get to Juneau. If you're not happy with it, then try Tracy's. Maybe you can get your main crab fix on the ship, and then just have a snack at Tracy's.:cool:

This is too funny because the Island Princess is the ship that DH and I went to the Crab Shack on (and we didn't even need a reservation). On the Island, a back portion of the Horizon Court is sectioned off and the tables have candles and cute paper table coverings. There's a special menu that includes, shrimp, crab, hush puppies, etc. If you do a search on this forum, there were a number of threads that had the full menu.

If you are lucky, the Asst. Maitre'D, Guido Ascolani, will still be there. He's a wonderful Italian man who came to Princess from Sitmar, 25-years-ago, on the old Fair Princess.

Hi would you know which ships have the Crab Shack? Wouldn't think the PP would due to the size, but going on the Caribbean in May 2015.

Thanks

Hi would you know which ships have the Crab Shack? Wouldn't think the PP would due to the size, but going on the Caribbean in May 2015.

Thanks

I was just on the Pacific Princess in December, and I don't think it was offered. Here's a link to a posting from someone who just got off the Pacific in Alaska, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065653. I would post your question there and maybe they will know?

We talked to 3 couples who just returned from the 7-day Voyage of the Glaciers with one couple cruised in late May, another one in early June and the 3rd couple mid June. All of them told us king crab legs were no longer served in the MDR either as an appetizer nor as a main entrée. They never saw it offered. They were told by the staff to pay the $20 to dine in the Crab Shack if they wanted to eat king crab legs. Staff didn't know why the MDR stopped offering the crab legs. May be part of the overall cost reduction. These folks did say the food overall in the MDR was not as good as compared to previous Alaska cruises they had taken a few years back.