Can I Bring A Guest Onboard for Part Of a Day?

I used the "Contact Us" form on RCI's Web Site and sent the following message.

Our first Port Call is Charleston, SC and I would like to bring my cousin, a US Citizen, on board for breakfast and a tour of the ship. She has never been on a cruise ship nor gone on a cruise. She is a potential new cruiser for RCI.

THE Crown & Anchor Desk has informed me that the "official policy" is No Guests for security reasons. This makes sense if foreign ports but seems to be a bit much for US ports.

How can we find a way to get this done?

Thanks for your consideration,

The first port call on our cruise on the Vision of the Seas in September is Charleston, SC.

My Cousin lives there and we would like to bring her on board the Vision for breakfast in the Windjammer and a tour of the ship.

She would then take us on a tour of Charleston.

Has anyone ever done something like this?

I know wedding guests can come onboard before sailing on embarkation day but what about my case?

Good Morning Trainman!

Do you plan on doing a LIVE review while sailing on the Vision? I know I've missed seeing them every few months.

I'm also sailing on the Vision in October, 10/4 & 10/9 sailing and would love to follow along!

Michael

I just looked and the last time that I asked to have guest aboard was 6/09.

The last time that I was sailing on one ship and was invited by an officer of another ship, docked in the same port was 12/12.

I would think that after 9/11, along with some others here, I would have to agree that it would be just about impossible.

A. Goldstein is not the person to ask. If anyone can give permission, it would be the captain of the ship. And if Merion Mom has batted "0" and she does know the right people, I'm going to have to side with her!!;)

Rick

The restrictions on non-ticketed guests got really tight after the Achille Lauro highjacking in 1985.

Eileen

I used the "Contact Us" form on RCI's Web Site and sent the following message.

When you hear back from them come back on here and let us know what they said..

If they say yes they will be bombarded with thousands of other people wanting to do the same thing.

Good Morning Trainman!

Do you plan on doing a LIVE review while sailing on the Vision? I know I've missed seeing them every few months.

I'm also sailing on the Vision in October, 10/4 & 10/9 sailing and would love to follow along!

Michael

Here is another vote for you to let us know how this turns out and to ask for you to do a review. They are very enjoyable--and we are sailing Vision, too.

Here is the response I got from RCI...

Dear Mr. Trainman:

Thank you for your email.

As a Diamond Plus member of the Crown & Anchor Society, we especially value your patronage of Royal Caribbean International and appreciate this opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Please be advised that for security purposes, we do not allow guests who are not passengers onboard our ships. While we appreciate the potential for a new, loyal guest, security and the safety of our guests must come first. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

We are pleased to inform you that we have recently revitalized the Vision of the Seas in September of 2013. We have added more dining options, more night hot spots, more entertainment, and more innovative technology to this ship. We have upgraded many of the public areas such as the pool decks, shops, spa, staterooms, Viking Crown Lounge, and the Centrum. We have even added new staterooms to this ship. There is now a Concierge Club onboard. The technology is stunning, as we added the Digital Wayfinding system, so that you may have touchscreen access to the deck plans, information on specialty dining, and events on the ship. This is the biggest revitalization program for our ships yet, and this ship is truly designed for a vacation of a lifetime.

Mr. Trainman, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Vision of the Seas for a truly outstanding cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Kevin Thistle

Customer Service Representative

I know that Wedding Guests can board the ships for a limited time for the wedding and festivities. I have heard, but don't know for sure, that some T/A's can also board the ships.

Maybe I should think about Judith and I renewing our wedding vows and inviting my cousin to join us on board. It might work...

And "YES" I will be doing a live report from the Vision of the Seas.

For those of you who have not found them, I am doing several BLOG-like posts in the Friends of Cruise Critic Section where I post of our adventures living out in the "country." I am posting almost daily to "Our Country Home - The Second Year."

Here is a link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=846

Here is the response I got from RCI...

I know that Wedding Guests can board the ships for a limited time for the wedding and festivities. I have heard, but don't know for sure, that some T/A's can also board the ships.

Maybe I should think about Judith and I renewing our wedding vows and inviting my cousin to join us on board. It might work...

Have you seen the prices they charge for the weddings.

Also, guests for weddings are only allowed on board at the port of embarkation... prior to the ship sailing. I am not surprised at the response... and I am sorry for your disappointment. Your cousin will have to just book a cruise!!

Here is a workaround, only works for embarkation though. Add them as a free 3rd or 4th passenger, have lunch and a tour, then get off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That would be an expensive lunch... with port fees and taxes paid by all guests, even if the depart prior to sailing. If they are checked and on the manifest, I do not think they would refund these fees.

There were a group of employees from Cick-fil-a on the Allure while in port in Florida taking a tour the last time we were on it.

Travel agents routinely get on board while in port.

It's very common in FL for TA's to have ship inspections on turnover days. I've been on at least a dozen on all the different lines, in fact I'm doing two in August. The NCL Getaway on August 16 and the MSC Divina on August 23. The TA only charges $20pp and lunch in the ships dinning room is included.

That would be an expensive lunch... with port fees and taxes paid by all guests, even if the depart prior to sailing. If they are checked and on the manifest, I do not think they would refund these fees.

I think they only paid taxes during promo

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app