To my HAL friends...

TracieABD

I agree, Trish. Just because you can say sometihing doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I feel sorry for new folks who innocently post a question that has been covered a lot in the past. Wouldn't the kind thing be to simply give them a link, or say nothing if you can't say something positive?

When I say something here, I try to remember we may sail together one day...JMHO

Looking forward to it, Kathi... maybe you could hop on the Prinsendam to Norway. :)

Trish

Something I find helpful on forums like this one (but that seems to not be practiced by all) is giving folks the benefit of a doubt.

Not everyone is skilled at expressing themselves in a written format. Sometimes what is typed looks a lot different than if it was spoken in person, perhaps with a smile or a light tone.

I try not to take offense unless the poster makes it abundantly clear that they are out to cause it.

The rudeness displayed on this board is the very reason I don't contribute anymore! Don't ask me why I'm even bothering to write this post. I've moved on. Do I still cruise? Absolutely! I just don't need the mean spirited sniping anymore.

The older I become the more I accept not everyone thinks the same way I do (still catches me off guard every once in a while;) ).... will keep your list in mind whenever I post Tracie :).... nothing better than a good discussion if you keep your mind and ears open...hard to do when things get nasty or worse yet personal.

The older I become the more I accept not everyone thinks the same way I do (still catches me off guard every once in a while;) ).... will keep your list in mind whenever I post Tracie :).... nothing better than a good discussion if you keep your mind and ears open...hard to do when things get nasty or worse yet personal.

Yep. The reason I posted this is actually a bit on the selfish side. I really love the boards and I have learned so much here from people have a just a little or a whole lot more specific knowledge on cruising. I sometimes worry a bit that some people are scared away with the conflict. It may be that person who knows the exact piece of information that I am searching for. I really want people to feel free to express themselves here. (But I secretly wish we could all just do it nicely).;)

Thanks for your thread and observations. I love the term "keyboard courage", it says it all.

I realize that I may be one of the snipers you are addressing.

While I have of late refused to reply to a select group of 4 or 5 who challenge every word or post I type, I know I can and should use the "ignore feature more often. I also see they are absent of any comments on this thread.

I read this thread and waited to see of any of the other offenders would speak up, bat alas I guess not.

I recall many years ago watching protesters burn the American Flag on TV. I thought to myself that they should all be arrested! Now with a few more years of experience under my belt, I understand the value of freedom of speech. Yes, it is very hurtful for many to watch the flag be abused, but the over riding message of freedom of speech trumps the action of a very few.

As we approach the 4th of July in America to celebrate our freedom, we must never give up the right to freedom of speech. While we may not agree, I hope opposing views can be shared openly and in a non-hostile format.

Thanks TracieABC

Thank you for your honesty. In truth, my thread has nothing to do with anyone person, but rather an amalgamation of many threads/ posts. I do strongly believe in freedom of speech as well. It is up to me to limit and monitor my own verbiage. You are so right about maintaining a non-hostile format.

Happy (almost) 4th of July to you!:)

Thank you for your honesty. In truth, my thread has nothing to do with anyone person, but rather an amalgamation of many threads/ posts. I do strongly believe in freedom of speech as well. It is up to me to limit and monitor my own verbiage. You are so right about maintaining a non-hostile format.

Happy (almost) 4th of July to you!:)

:) And Happy (almost) 4th of July to you too....

AND.... :) Happy Canada Day to my friends up north!

Edited by Sam.Seattle