Virtual Balcony

Has anybody had one of these and if so what is it like ?

Is it a real time outside view or just made up cloud n sky n sea etc ?

Before anyone asks a balcony is over £1000 more !!!!!

Thanks

I dont think you will see these until Quantum hits the seas

Has anybody had one of these and if so what is it like ?

Is it a real time outside view or just made up cloud n sky n sea etc ?

Before anyone asks a balcony is over £1000 more !!!!!

Thanks

Quantum of Seas is suppose to have them and it is suppose to be real time. Question would then be, are all virtual views the same. For example is the camera feed from the bow looking forward?

I would definitely like to try one and save some money.

Quantum of Seas is suppose to have them and it is suppose to be real time. Question would then be, are all virtual views the same. For example is the camera feed from the bow looking forward?

I would definitely like to try one and save some money.

As I understand it, yes. They have a bunch of cameras to provide the feeds. Thus if you are aft starboard, that should be your view (either right rear, or perhaps even to the rear). Not sure if you can change your view to one you prefer. Now THAT would be cool!!

someone had one on Navigator and in her review she stated some pros and cons. The balcony railing is computer generated and does not darken as the sky outside darkens. The flat screen generates a lot of heat so she was glad the AC in her cabin worked. Even turned off, the flat screen emits a blue glow that's bright enough to act as a night light. In Navigator's interior layout, there is a chair in the corner of the flat screen so that right away takes away from the illusion of having a balcony cabin (who puts a chair in front of a door?). The pro is that the image is real time as seen outside your cabin location on the ship. There is a volume control as well so you can hear the wake/waves/wind etc.

As you can see below, these rooms have their own category and are priced higher than other insides. This is a copy/paste from a Navigator booking page.

Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony - (NEW)

PHOTOS

Interior Stateroom with a Virtual Balcony, a high-definition screen that spans nearly floor to ceiling, providing real-time views of the ocean and destinations. Two twin beds that convert to Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long with open bed frames, sitting area with sofa, and a full bathroom.

(150 sq. ft.)

OCCUPANCY: Up to 2 Guests

DECKPLAN CODES: J

DECKS:

Per Person Price

Guests 1-2: $528.5

$1,057

USD

SELECT STATEROOM

I had one in February on Navigator (thanks to an upgrade). After the novelty wore off, I don't think I'd pay extra above a normal interior room for the virtual balcony.

It was kind of neat to wake up and pull back the curtain and see what's going on. There is only one view depending on the screen's orientation in your room - either forward or aft.

Agree that the screen did emit quite a bit of heat, even when turned off.

I had one in February on Navigator (thanks to an upgrade). After the novelty wore off, I don't think I'd pay extra above a normal interior room for the virtual balcony.

It was kind of neat to wake up and pull back the curtain and see what's going on. There is only one view depending on the screen's orientation in your room - either forward or aft.

Agree that the screen did emit quite a bit of heat, even when turned off.

Just an FYI for those who haven't followed Quantum....All inside cains on Quantum have Virtual Balconies. They do not charge extra on Quantum class. On ships they are going to retrofit, I assume it'll be a higher priced inside. (I believe they are going to be putting these on other boats besides Navigator) ... Also I'd expect them on Oasis 3.

We stayed in a virtual balcony cabin on the Navigator in March. It is a novelty we found fun. It is nice to be able to see what it is like outside. The screen is operated by a remote. It also includes sound so the ocean noises are able to be heard. Liked that option. It can be muted or turned the volume you wish.

One night I saw this one red light on the screen and thought perhaps it was a defect. After looking more carefully, it was a far away vessel, and the red was a light on it.

If there wasn't too much of a difference in fare from a regular interior, I'd probably do it once just for the fun. We caught a great price drop and did the cruise at a last minute. Fares for regular interior rooms were higher.

I stayed in a Virtual Balcony on Navigator the first full week after they were added during the refurb. Because of the screen, the love seat was taken out and they put a single chair in the cabin instead. There were problems with them early on, the remote didn't always work. It was a bit difficult to keep the cabin cool as the screen put out some heat.

I would stay in a virtual balcony again over being in an inside cabin, but I would rather have a Promenade cabin than a VB.

Here is a link to the review that I wrote right after staying in that cabin.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1991876

Edited by bethco