What am I forgetting to pack?

Travlin grrl

So many good ideas posted here!

I always take a travel address book with us.

In addition to friends and family info, I have contact info for credit cards, doctors, attorney and banks.

This info may also be stored in your phone instead of an actual address book ( may be kind of old school using a book).

I also take Tylenol in addition to Immodium and Benedryl. Some bandaids may be useful too. I would definitely take shampoo and conditioner,and a small travel hair dryer. Lately those items provided on the ship are not so satisfactory.

Comfortable shoes for walking and some pretty shoes for the evening ( I could use one suitcase for shoes only,but DH would protest too much!).

Enjoy your vacation!

London is one of our favorite cities.

The British Isles cruise is on our wish list.

For London/British Isles: I would carry a photocopy of my passport and my DL while touring. The hotel safe is where I leave my passport and copies of DL, CC, etc. If I were planning to make an expensive purchase, I might bring my original passport. -- It has been a long while since I have cruised on Princess and in the UK: will the cruiseline be holding on to your passport while you are a passenger?

On board hair dryers are usually better than a 'small travel hairdryer'. If you packed everything mentioned on this thread you would have no room for clothes! We travel to UK several times year, and most things we need are available there. We usually buy toiletries in small sizes once we arrive, and leave the remains on the ship. Don't get stressed out, there are more similarities than differences between UK and North America, and at least they speak the same language (generally!!)

It goes very cool in the evenings anywhere in the UK, we can have a really hot day and then come 7pm it will feel really cold so I would bring a jacket.

We are due to have the hottest day of the year so far tomorrow, I am just outside of Southampton and it's supposed to be near 80 degrees. Awful when we don't have air conditioning in our offices! The weather is supposed to change at the weekend so all I would say is be prepared for any weather conditions, it's very unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow! We run our air conditioner to cool it down as low as 82... I guess it really depends on what you are used to. It was 91 degrees here at 1:30 AM last night (morning). We don't run the AC that late though. We killed it hours and hours before that and just opened up all the windows. We don't live in a major metropolitan area so we often have all the windows open. We also often have the front door wide open to catch the breeze. :)

Yes I need toilet seat covers. Haha. I hate sitting on public toilet seats without those.

I don't use a kindle. I have an iPad but I do have a kindle app on it. Why?

I like to read so I have the Kindle app on my iPad and I also have two Kindles. I use the Kindles when I am outside in the sun because there is no glare with a Kindle. I asked because I wanted to remind you to pack your Kindle if you had one.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

A nail clipper with a file. Every time we cruise, we kick ourselves for not having one. While in Cobh, Ireland a few years ago, we ended up buying one in a pharmacy for about €3 and now we take it with us on every cruise.

We also bring reusable, wide mouth water bottles with us. They were a lifesaver in Rome when it was 110° with 90% humidity.

If you are prone to sea sickness, ginger tea, candy, or supplements might be a good idea. We also learned from a waiter that eating a green apple or biting into a lemon wedge will also help with seasickness (I tried it myself...it actually works!).

Wow! We run our air conditioner to cool it down as low as 82... I guess it really depends on what you are used to. It was 91 degrees here at 1:30 AM last night (morning). We don't run the AC that late though. We killed it hours and hours before that and just opened up all the windows. We don't live in a major metropolitan area so we often have all the windows open. We also often have the front door wide open to catch the breeze. :)

The newer office buildings will have air con but not the older ones, it really not nice in the summer and we have to use desk fans which are pretty much useless. I don't think I know anyone who has air conditioning in their house, it's just a case of opening all the windows or buying air con units which are so expensive and not worth it for 6 weeks of the year!

I'm not sure I could deal with 91 degrees at 1.30am!! My house is so hot at night and we are only experiencing temperatures of 60-65 during the night, as you say it's what you're used to though. 65 degrees must be really cold to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are putting our gear into the suitcase tomorrow and reading through this thread has been helpful. As a fairly-well organized person, I think I still picked up some useful tips. I like the one esp. of photographing things and emailing to self.

Now, travlin grrl, here is a tip I have found helps my jitters: place half your stuff in HIS suitcase and half of his in yours. I try to include in each at least one item of each type of wardrobe, i.e., swimsuit, shoes, formal wear, etc. That way, if one of the suitcases doesn't show up, we both at least have something to wear. Now, if both cases go astray, well....that's where some thoughtful packing of the carryon comes in ;)

Bon voyage!

I like to read so I have the Kindle app on my iPad and I also have two Kindles. I use the Kindles when I am outside in the sun because there is no glare with a Kindle. I asked because I wanted to remind you to pack your Kindle if you had one.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Okay now I wish I had a kindle because I do hate the glare. But I do bring my iPad. I use Evernote for documenting. Then when I come back I can copy and paste my review. I also download books from the library and I don't need to be connected to the internet to read them. I usually read in the airport or plane. I'm always to busy to read on the cruise. That's some serious tablet ownership you have there.

We are putting our gear into the suitcase tomorrow and reading through this thread has been helpful. As a fairly-well organized person, I think I still picked up some useful tips. I like the one esp. of photographing things and emailing to self.

Now, travlin grrl, here is a tip I have found helps my jitters: place half your stuff in HIS suitcase and half of his in yours. I try to include in each at least one item of each type of wardrobe, i.e., swimsuit, shoes, formal wear, etc. That way, if one of the suitcases doesn't show up, we both at least have something to wear. Now, if both cases go astray, well....that's where some thoughtful packing of the carryon comes in ;)

Bon voyage!

That's exactly what we did yesterday (1/2 packed in each bag). Typically, we only take a carry-on for each of us, but since we're going to Iceland and the Baltic this time, we needed warmer clothes that take up more space.

Bought DW one a couple of Xmas's ago. Know I can't get her away from it. :eek:

We've had ours for about 4 1/2 years now. I'm a speed reader and, prior to getting Kindles, travelling was a real problem as I had to cart so many books around with me. Now I just load up my Kindle with books and I can go anywhere. Plus I'm saving a fortune - Australian paper book prices are ridiculously high. I can buy more than enough good books for my Kindle at a fraction of what I used to spend. Well, to be honest, I still spend the same amount but I no longer have to reread books, I can afford to read new ones all the time if I wish. Although with Kindle Daily Deals now available in the Australian region I think I am actually spending less.

My wife reads on her iPad and I read on my ASUS tablet using the Kindle app. I also use the Kindle app on my phone (Droid Maxx) which has a reasonably large screen. If I actually get the book from the Kindle store the devices synch so I am always at the same spot in the book. If I get the books elsewhere (I usually do - don't ask where...) then they don't synch but it's really not much of a problem to just move to the same spot in the book if I switch devices. The phone has the advantage of fitting in my pant's pocket. The tablet has a "super IPS mode" I can switch to if I'm in bright sunlight and then I can see to read just fine. When I read at night (I often like to read out on the porch) I switch it to white text on a black background and it's really easy on the eyes. For some reason I really don't ever use the "sepia" setting which is pretty much what the real Kindle devices use.

Just remember that the ground floor in a building is NOT the first floor. The first floor is one level up...

Which reminds me... The ship skips the 13th deck, so if you are superstitious, don't book your cabin on the 14th deck because we all know it's still the 13th. ;)

If you have long or thick hair, bring a hair dryer!!! Unless you don't mind spending 45-60 minutes drying your hair. The dryers on all the Princess ships I've been on are NOT suitable for long thick hair. They are subpar to typical hotel and travel hair dryers.