Solo cabin for a hermit?

When I cruise with family members we hang out together, but still usually keep to ourselves and spend time on deck reading, etc. We enjoy the shows and the dining and even participatory activities like dance or craft classes, and we'll make pleasant conversation with people where appropriate, but we cruise to get away from it all, not so much to make new friends and socialize on board.

So as I consider solo cruising at some point, I wonder if the solo cabins are really meant for somebody who isn't going to want to "join in." I know it's freestyle, but I'm more concerned with the mechanics of it. If I have to walk through a common area of newly acquainted people hanging out and socializing just to come and go from my cabin, I'd probably feel more comfortable in a regular cabin somewhere else. I'm not interested in being "adopted" by other cruisers or cajoled into joining in, as the purpose of going alone in the first place would be blissful solitude.

So will a hermit feel comfortable in the solo cabins or is the social scene inseparable from it?

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

I consider myself someone of a private person and I loved the solo cabins on the Epic.

I could participate with others when I wanted to and I could be by myself when I wanted to. No one will make you do anything you don't want to do. It's a nice way to meet others that are also sailing solo if you're looking for company. I met some great folks on my solo cruise that I still keep in touch with. You can make of it what you want. :)

On the Breakaway you did not have to walk through the Studio Lounge to get anywhere. All of the cabins open to hallways. The lounge has a separate door that you would use to go into it.

When I booked the Breakaway a regular inside cabin was cheaper (for a solo) but I chose the Studio because I wanted the "Studio" expereince.

If you are not interested in that, really no need for you to book a Studio; and a regular inside might be larger in size. However, you may also feel comfortable in a Studio because there is no pressure to join in but you may want to at some point.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Cruisercl

I just came home from The Getaway being in a Studio Cabin and I loved it more than I thought I would. I only went into the Lounge a couple of days a day just to check a soccer score, as I never turned my TV on. You should be just fine.

You can be a hermit and not have to walk through the studio lounge at all, the inner hallway has a security door and on the EPIC there are 3 inner hallways. Just pic one on the opposite end from the Living Room.

You can always pick up free munchies and coffees in there at almost any time, so don't exclude yourself from there to avoid people.

We had a studio cabin on the Epic and absolutely loved it. It's basically just like a regular interior...meaning it has a hallway that you step in to just like any other cabin. The only way of entering the lounge, you had to go threw a door to get there (and since we went, I heard they made it a key card access only).

We never did find many people in the lounge when we were cruising. I'm not sure if it's the same now or not. They do have get togethers there (and I can't remember how we knew about it, if it was in the dailies, a list in our room, or a board somewhere in the lounge area), but if you want to avoid that, you can just check those times.

Maybe it was this board that I found the info? I can't remember:

studio%20lounge-L.jpg

Don't completely write off the studio, it does have some perks with cookies and coffee and stuff there to snack on if you'd like.

IMG_1431-L.jpg

DSC05056-L.jpg