All NY-ers to the rescue

don26

HELP required by a fellow NY-er – well that's North Yorkshire in Lil Ole UK, but it's NY isn't it.

Have just discovered that Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal isn't adjacent to the Wellington Hotel, 871 7th Avenue, NY, in fact it's a million miles from there. Well, 13.4 miles according to Google Earth, but how can 2 decrepit limeys toting 2 x 20kg luggage cases get from the Terminal to our hotel. It's no easy stroll!

Guess cab is favourite, unless anyone can advise me different, but will I have to kill my wife & claim the insurance to pay the cab fare?

All suggestions gratefully received.

You can take the NYNJ PATH (Tubes) at 34th St. station (NYC) to Hoboken, NJ. Grab the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne and get off at 34th St. Take a short cab ride to the pier.

The entire trip is not too expensive as compared to taxi/limousines.

As an inducement, the PATH to Hoboken is approximately $2 per and the Light Rail fare is $2.10 per. The cab ride to the pier is about 4 city blocks and probably reasonable. It's a bit convoluted, but the savings goes directly to your pocket and you can spend aboard.

Edited by nelblu

I was going to ask if you are locked into the Wellington hotel reservation, perhaps something closer would save a little on transportation. Your best bet is to find a hotel somewhere between the airport and the pier, so you're not paying cab fare to backtrack over the same ground.

But even then, you have to realize that there is NO hotel that is actually "adjacent" to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal, and none that an average person could reasonably walk to. The area around the pier is rather industrial looking, if I remember correctly. So you're going to need a cab either way.

If you are looking for a different hotel, share which airport you're flying into, and folks might be able to offer suggestions.

Edited by Gayle V

I have friends who used a limo from NYC to Cape Libety. They used dial 7 limo service. You should be able to find them by googling "dial7 limo nyc". I wouldn't want to take the luggage by train to the ferry, etc. Too much dragging. We have taken the train from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich and will do.it again in August, but there is very little carrying luggage once we get it on the train as the porters run to grab it as soon as the train pulls into Harwich.

Enjoy your stay in NYC

Dittos on the dial7 car service. I've used them several times. We even had a cruise out of Cape Liberty - the first after Hurricane Sandy and they met us at the nearly deserted Newark airport and brought us right to the cruise terminal ON TIME!

We stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island that provided a free shuttle to the port. Might try checking them out and see if they still offer the service. Best of Luck and enjoy your cruise!

I don't think I understood your post very well the first time I read it. It looks like you are arriving at Cape Liberty on the Quantum TA in Nov so your problem is how to get from Cape Liberty to your hotel in Manhattan.

Cape Liberty has a taxi dispatcher who will quote you a price to Manhattan and get a car/taxi for you. This is usually a well run operation, but....who knows how well it will operate for the first arrival of the much larger Quantum.

Will you have a US cell phone? Folks use cell phones to communicate with limo drivers in the chaos of Cape Liberty. If you don't have a cell phone, you might just want to disembark and go to the taxi dispatcher to get a car to NY.

Of course public transit is still an option. The taxi dispatcher will put you in a van to the light rail station. From there it is all even level accessible to 33rd St in Manhattan where you can get a cab to your hotel. I just did Harwich to Liverpool St Station to St Pancras in May and IMO the trip from Bayonne is a lot easier.

Edited by 138east