Chena Hot Springs

SeeingTheWorldBySea

Has anyone been to Chena Hot Springs recently? We are arriving in Fairbanks a few days before meeting the cruisetour and have a rental car, so we were going to check out the hot springs and ice museum. I have looked at tripadvisor for some recent reviews and they are mixed, noting staff was young and not too friendly but others say the hot springs and ice museum are worth it. Just looking for some more opinions if there are any out there. Is it worth the 60 mile drive from downtown Fairbanks? I just want to make sure the resort is clean basically. No one likes bandaids floating in a public watering hole- gross.

We went up to Chena Hot Springs. We enjoyed the ride up and back. Saw several moose. Toured the resort. We were able to talk to the lady that sculptured some of the carvings. We enjoyed it. Bring you swim suit if you would like to float around in the springs.:)

My husband and I were there the first week of June. It rained the day we were there, so we simply did the Ice Museum. We had a great time. There was nothing else we were going to do in Fairbanks that day, so it worked for us.

My review is in my signature line!

If you do go up you might consider timing it to do one of the geothermal renewable energy tours in addition to the ice museum. The hot springs are nice and there are showers and lockers available for day use.

it is a good basic Alaskan resort...not fancy, food is Alaskan priced...ie fairly expensive...eat in town...but they make the BEST smoked salmon bloody Mary's in the world...The hot springs are amazing....but they are a natural hot slings, not fed into a swimming pool like many are....so if you don't like swimming in a lake, you probably won't like them...They are wonderful when it is -40. I love the area, and there is good camping nearby in Chena. Undoubtably, you will see moose, there is a gazillion out there..It is a very popular area for people to live and it is a mushing community. Many of the most famous mushers live in that area and you will see dog trail signs along the road....if you go in September, you might even see some of the teams start their fall training....Do stop by the Yukon Quest headquarters in downtown Fairbanks..It is worth going there in my opinion...Like someone else said, see if you can see the geothermal greenhouses there..They grow much of their own food all year round...

.... I love the area, and there is good camping nearby in Chena. ...

I think that "laughing husky" is referring to the Chena River State Recreation Area, which is over 250,000 acres of state land. The rec area starts at about mile 22 or 23 of the Chena Hot Springs Road, and essentially extends to the privately owned resort (there are some areas of private land inholdings). And if you drive this road and don't see a moose then, quite frankly, you are just clueless as what to look for! This is an incredibly "mosey" area.

Thanks for the tips. I think we will keep the stop on our list and check it out. My parents will like the springs (not me- I don't like pondish waters- thanks laughing husky for the heads up on that one) and my husband will like the geothermal tour if there is one when we are there. I am sure the ride there alone seeing all the beauty and wildlife will be worth the trip.