11:25 flight out of San Juan too early?

Halya50

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you can help us out, never flown out of San Juan before. Wondering if we would be pushing it to fly out at 11:25.

The flights are about 200. cheaper at this flight time.

Would love your first hand views and comments.

Also, how far is the airport?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you can help us out, never flown out of San Juan before. Wondering if we would be pushing it to fly out at 11:25.

Thanks

Not a problem for us in the past. The best tip I can give you is grab a porter, hand him a $20 and explain that you have an early flight. He'll have your bags and have you in a cab in record time.

We also tip the cabbie in advance. He not only rushes to get us there but grabs a porter for you at the airport. Hand the porter a tip and we never even had to stand in line to check in. He took care of all of it for us and then walked us to security. It will be the best money you've ever spent :)

It's just a bit too early for me... I'd be worried the whole cruise about whether we would make the flight! :eek:

We've flown from San Juan 4 times and that airport can be like a zoo, especially on a Sunday. Don't forget you need to go through Agricultural Inspection too before you check your luggage in. We've seen many people at the desk about to check in without having done the inspection so they are sent back.

Good luck ! I can understand wanting to save the money but it's not something I'd be comfortable doing.

It's just a bit too early for me... I'd be worried the whole cruise about whether we would make the flight! :eek:

We've flown from San Juan 4 times and that airport can be like a zoo, especially on a Sunday. Don't forget you need to go through Agricultural Inspection too before you check your luggage in. We've seen many people at the desk about to check in without having done the inspection so they are sent back.

Good luck ! I can understand wanting to save the money but it's not something I'd be comfortable doing.

Same here, I am a chicken when it comes to earlier flights.

We carried our own stuff off the ship and made it thru customs and to the airport before 830am. It was doable for us. Unfortunately we booked our flight for 120pm! That was a long wait!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

It might be possible to do it only if you arrive early and are able to disembark early (before 8:30am). Once you clear customs, get a cab and race to the airport, be sure to get a porter to take someone in your party to get the luggage inspected, while they do that you can check in at the airline and wait over by the luggage drop off area (a separate area you leave your luggage after agriculture inspection).

Most people find the delay in agriculture inspection and/or at the airport. Our delay was caused by customs taking their sweet ol' time clearing everyone off the ship. We must've waited at least an hour from the time we got off the ship until we were in a cab on our way to the airport.

I left earlier than that myself (although not much, I think 10AM).

Fairly easy to get from the port to the airport, and as we all know if you carry your own bags you can get off almost as early as you want (once the ship is cleared of course).

Hi everyone,

Thanks

You should make it without a problem. I don't even think you need to do self-assist. Take your itinerary to Guest Services to show them you have an early flight and they will give you luggage tags for the first group. Once in the terminal, grab a porter as suggested and he will get you through the line fairly quickly.

Once outside, you are less than 30 minutes from the airport. If you get to the airport by 9:30, you should be fine. As mentioned, don't forget to do the Agricultural inspection, that will hold you up if you have to go back.

We just returned from Carnival Valor last Sunday. We were off the ship by 7:20 (did self assist luggage) and were at the airport before 8:00. We used a taxi-van which is much quicker than waiting for a bus to load passengers.

Our Southwest flight was at 10:10 and we had plenty of time. I was a bit apprehensive, but next flight choice was 1:30 and didn't want to wait at airport that long. Valor was only ship in port, so airport wasn't too busy.

If there are no ship delays, you shouldn't have a problem.

The last time we were in San Juan we could have been off the ship and to the airport by 8:30 am no problem we wanted to stay on the ship longer and we had to be off by 10:00 am and just walked off so almost could have made your flight then... but we stayed a few extra days. Are the early flights still cheaper on Monday? So much less stress if it is possible for you. Getting a porter is a good tip and definitely remember to send all your luggage (carryon's included) through USDA and get the stickers or it becomes a much uglier process. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. We do it again in January 2015.

Edited by Dirkgun

The last time we were in San Juan we could have been off the ship and to the airport by 8:30 am no problem we wanted to stay on the ship longer and we had to be off by 10:00 am and just walked off so almost could have made your flight then... but we stayed a few extra days. Are the early flights still cheaper on Monday? So much less stress if it is possible for you. Getting a porter is a good tip and definitely remember to send all your luggage (carryon's included) through USDA and get the stickers or it becomes a much uglier process. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. We do it again in January 2015.

Since many ships have a prior stop in St Thomas they usually arrive in San Juan early in the AM, it's such a short distance. When I sailed Celebrity in January, it began the disembarkment process at 6AM and I was inside security at thje airport prior to 8AM.

Check your arrival time in San Juan, it', usually earlier than MIami.

The long and short of my answer is I would . I have flown out of San Juan many times but it can be quite a cluster with the Ag check and security line if you don't know that there is an alternative line . We have made noon flights and been through security by 9 am but have been there and done that . Just know that it can be QUITE hectic if you don't get off the ship and get to the airport early . Traffic , cant say I have ever seen any on the way early its a short trip. But do you want your last day to be Run run run . We don't have kids just 2 adults .

Also I googled it, its a 15 minute ride to the airport . Its only 8 miles

Edited by frito58

You can EASILY make this flight! We had a 12:15 flight last year and were board out of our minds at the airport for like 3 hours waiting for it. We did self assist and caught a cab and we were at the airport before 9, with nothing to do! And most of the stuff in the airport was not even open yet cuz it was Sunday morning. Pre-cruise all I read was about the zoo at the San Juan airport, I did not experience this at all! Ag Inspection, checkin, security, all went very very quickly.

We also just got off the Valor this past Sunday. We had an 11:20am Jet Blue flight. When you check in on line, you list your air info. We were sent #3 debarkation tags. They started calling numbers by about 8am and we were called within 15 minutes. We grabbed a porter (only gave him $10) got our luggage, went through customs (the line was a bit long, but moved fairly quickly). Porter took us to a cab, who took us straight to the airport, no traffic. Went right through agricultural inspection (no line) and then over to Security. All done by 9:30ish.

Good luck.

Karen

What does the "Agricultural Inspection" at the airport consist of?

Basically it's just an x-ray machine that you put all your luggage through. It's a lot like going through security where they inspect your hand luggage. They're looking for fruit, etc. that could contain insects or disease that could affect crops in the States. Even an orange in your carry on could be a problem. If the airport is quiet, the lineup shouldn't be too bad. The actual x-ray of your case is pretty quick.. it's the lineups that cause the delays. :(

Basically it's just an x-ray machine that you put all your luggage through. It's a lot like going through security where they inspect your hand luggage. They're looking for fruit, etc. that could contain insects or disease that could affect crops in the States. Even an orange in your carry on could be a problem. If the airport is quiet, the lineup shouldn't be too bad. The actual x-ray of your case is pretty quick.. it's the lineups that cause the delays. :(

Indeed, and it is not a big deal. Been there done that many times.

That flight time will be fine. If you want to, play it safe and self-disembark. Otherwise, never forget they want you outta their hair and off the ship!

I never had a problem with SJU.

Then again, I fly in the day of the cruise, not a day before! :D

Thank you. I am on the Valor in 3 weeks (Yayyy!) and my return flight leaves at noon. I have asked this question as well. I have been trying to not panic about the time and you all have gave me peace of mind.