Just Curious

Muscovites

Hi there

Can anyone with much better knowledge of Princess than me explain why on the Star Princess,Dolphin Deck, the minisuites jump from D632 to D702 when they are next door to each other? Just curious as it seems strange. Thanks for any replies/explanations provided.

Isobel.

Hi there

Can anyone with much better knowledge of Princess than me explain why on the Star Princess,Dolphin Deck, the minisuites jump from D632 to D702 when they are next door to each other? Just curious as it seems strange. Thanks for any replies/explanations provided.

Isobel.

Those cabins are separated by fire doors. If you look at the deck plans, you will see there are splits between D424/D502 and D530/D602. :)

Those cabins are separated by fire doors. If you look at the deck plans, you will see there are splits between D424/D502 and D530/D602. :)
As said:

3ymu5epy.jpg

I try to avoid a cabin on either side because as you can see, there's a raised metal strip in the floor and every room service and cleaning cart rattles as it goes over the strip.

I'm curious, does anyone know if the wall between the cabins with the fire door is thicker then the normal cabin wall? I always thought that those cabins might be a bit quieter, at least from one side, if the cabin wall was thinker and had the extra insulation. But then again with the outside floor strip maybe not.

I'm curious, does anyone know if the wall between the cabins with the fire door is thicker then the normal cabin wall? I always thought that those cabins might be a bit quieter, at least from one side, if the cabin wall was thinker and had the extra insulation. But then again with the outside floor strip maybe not.

I have read on here that the cabins on either side of the fire doors are a wee bit larger. I don't know how true this is.

The metal strip in the hallway can be annoying with carts rattling over at times. :(

Agreed! And being across from service doors where said carts 'sleep and energize' during the night. Nothing like waking up every morning via the carts hitting the doors and running over the metal strips.

I learned the hard way. . .

Agreed! And being across from service doors where said carts 'sleep and energize' during the night. Nothing like waking up every morning via the carts hitting the doors and running over the metal strips.

I learned the hard way. . .

I bet it's still better than getting up at 6:00 AM every morning and going to work...:D

Sigh... I soooooooooo need a cruise.

3ymu5epy.jpg

I try to avoid a cabin on either side because as you can see, there's a raised metal strip in the floor and every room service and cleaning cart rattles as it goes over the strip.

Thanks Pam - we've booked D630 - will that be affected by the noise of the metal strip? If so, we can easily change cabin and I'd appreciate your input. Thanks. Isobel.

I bet it's still better than getting up at 6:00 AM every morning and going to work...:D

Love your comment about getting up and going to work, Hey anything is better, noisy cabins, no problems, cabin steward cleaning times, no problem, food at buffet not enough, no problems. Just let me go on a cruise rather thank at my house, no cabin steward, noisy most of the time, and nobody to cook the food (only me). LOL

I do not build ship but do know North America building techniques for fire walls to some degree. The wall may be slightly thicker but mostly fire rating is done by changing the materials and details. Since ships do not use drywall or cinder block, I doubt the wall will be thicker. If you could look under the wall sheeting you will see things like fire caulking around every pipe and wire which had to be punched through the wall. Any air duct would have a solder coupling in a louvre in the wall so it would slam shut if heated up. Again, fire rating is more in the details and not the thickness.

Fire rating is NOT design for noise abatement and so I would expect a fire wall to be the same as any other cabin wall for that.

Later,

M

We have had cabins by the fire door and never really had a problem. They get the carts out at a reasonable time and try to minimize the noise. The cabins are fairly sound proof to an extent.

Yes, indeed! Add to that. . .not shoveling your driveway before going to work!

I am the light sleeper in the family. We call it 'mommy radar.' I still don't seem to be able to turn it off and the kids are grown and out of the house! My problem!