Getting up and down a Gangway Troubles

sheri164

Considering a Caribbean cruise on Oceania this fall/winter. Wondering if anyone has experience on Oceania ships with embarking/disembarking with mobility issues. My husband is mobile, but a 30-45 degree angle walk would give him big trouble. Is there any facility for walking on or off at ground level on Oceania? I know Princess had it for wheelchairs - but don't know about ambulatory passengers.

Edited by sheri164

When we were in Corner Brook on our NYC-Dover cruise in May I somehow pulled a hamstring muscle which impaired me regarding stairs on subsequent ports. I was able to use the main gangway but I was VERY slow, especially going down. (IT wasn't so bad going up.)

So I guess my question is how difficult might it be for your husband. I definitely found the crew gangway much easier but when it didn't appear to be available, I managed.

Generally they are very amenable to helping out in such situations. You should not hesitate to ask to use the crew exit. And often when returning, it's just as easy to use the crew gangway as the passenger gangway.

With the demographics on Oceania, they are used to people needing some easier access to and from the ship.

Mura

They have a special elevator for disabled and it is the crew exit and much flatter. You should ask though.

The elevator is the same as the others...but go down the crew-deck ( and hospital) and the much easier gangway it is at about 15 degrees...BUT that depends on the tide and day and location. Not much of a problem in Miami but can be 30 ft in Alaska. So select wisely as it is a function of local conditions.

This brings up a consideration of whether ship travel is something you want and are able to deal with. Because of the sea and the constant motion of the sea there are no guarantees

Considering a Caribbean cruise on Oceania this fall/winter. Wondering if anyone has experience on Oceania ships with embarking/disembarking with mobility issues. My husband is mobile, but a 30-45 degree angle walk would give him big trouble. Is there any facility for walking on or off at ground level on Oceania? I know Princess had it for wheelchairs - but don't know about ambulatory passengers.

My husband walks with a cane and steep gangways can be a problem. But in our experience there have always been crew members who help the mobility-challenged, assisting them down the gangway.

Edited by NMLady

I have seen that also. Sailors are young and strong and a mere mortal is not hard for them to help up and down. More usual though is to go through the crew or cargo doors. They do not load those tons of food and supplies by carrying them up the gangway. Ask and I bet they have a way.

• 1 month later...