Holland America stopping at Port of Tunisia

SeaCruiser_1

I am looking forward to a fall Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam. When researching and reading what others were doing there I was surprised to read that many were planning camels rides in this port. Many posters wrote of youngsters traveling with them. Don't get me wrong I am all for cultural experiences but please read this first!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-19/african-camels-show-mers-virus-is-more-widespread-than-believed.html

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/coronavirus_infections/faq/en/

The 2 cases of MERS that were confirmed in the US hospitals were in complete isolation. All hospital staff was in complete protective coverings. People who were on the plane with them were contacted for testing. CDC and WHO are following this closely.

Not enough is known about this virus yet but it is know that over 50% of the camels in Tunisia carry this virus!

I can't imagine what it would do to the cruise industry if any passengers got this disease!

Please consider this a public service announcement!

Honestly I have never understood what people see in camels when on vacation in foreign lands. Only tourists from Western countries would even consider a camel ride a "fun" activity. Having lived in the Middle East for 30 years, I know camels to be pretty, well, let's say "not immaculate" animals. I would never let my children near one. I'm sure they are wonderful - all animals have their virtues - but they are not amusement park rides. Again, I've never understood the attraction, and I think it's a misconception to think of camels as some kind of big friendly dog or horse with humps. I know if I say they are "disgusting" some animal lover will flame me (I'm an animal lover myself, just sayin'...) but really, there must be something better you can do in a foreign port than sit on a camel. Just my 2 cents.

Didn't see any camels in the port city at all. I guess the tours take you further into the country. So skip the camel rides--bumpy anyway. I paid more attention to the way they treat their women and elect their officials. They said it was a democracy and probably is at a local level but the powerful people are not elected. I would stay away from most animals just because we are not accustomed to their germs.

We have been in Tunesia several times (Tunis, Gabes and Sous) and have never seen a camel or anything that even looks like a camel except the picture on a pack of Camel Cigarettes (which are far more dangerous to your health then a real Camel). On the other hand, you have a strong sun in Florida where skin cancer is nearly epidemic. So perhaps everyone should avoid Florida :)

Hank

We were there a couple of years ago and husband took a tour and I stayed on the ship. When he got back we walked to the shops right at the port and there were 2 or 3 stinky, nasty looking camels there. Did not see anyone riding on them though.

Didn't see any camels in the port city at all. I guess the tours take you further into the country. So skip the camel rides--bumpy anyway. I paid more attention to the way they treat their women and elect their officials. They said it was a democracy and probably is at a local level but the powerful people are not elected.

The last two times we docked in Tunis (La Goulette), there were 2-3 camels right at the gangway looking for tourists....

Personally, I think the risk is infinitesimally small that someone healthy would acquire MERS like that, given there has as yet been no proven direct transmission from a camel (only from other persons with MERS, and even then it does not seem to be highly infective). But on the other hand, I am not a fan of camels and after being bullied into riding one once at the pyramids will never do so again!

I'm not really sure I understand your comment about Tunisia. It is one of the more democratic countries in North Africa. They just adopted a new constitution in January of this year that, while recognizing Islam as the state religion, also protects freedom of belief and gender equality.

Is it perfect -- no. But seems to me we should be supporting their efforts when other countries like Libya have descended into nearly complete lawlessness since toppling their dictator.... Or other countries that have become much more extremist.

The last two times we docked in Tunis (La Goulette), there were 2-3 camels right at the gangway looking for tourists....

Personally, I think the risk is infinitesimally small that someone healthy would acquire MERS like that, given there has as yet been no proven direct transmission from a camel (only from other persons with MERS, and even then it does not seem to be highly infective). But on the other hand, I am not a fan of camels and after being bullied into riding one once at the pyramids will never do so again!

I'm not really sure I understand your comment about Tunisia. It is one of the more democratic countries in North Africa. They just adopted a new constitution in January of this year that, while recognizing Islam as the state religion, also protects freedom of belief and gender equality.

Is it perfect -- no. But seems to me we should be supporting their efforts when other countries like Libya have descended into nearly complete lawlessness since toppling their dictator.... Or other countries that have become much more extremist.

Yes, best give the camels a miss and wait until autumn (fall) for the results of the elections before passing judgement on the political set up.

While we are on the subject of Camels, we heard a funny story from an old friend. Several years ago she was in Egypt and decided to take a camel ride near the Great Pyramids. She negotiated with a Camel jockey and he said she could have a ride for only $5. So the camel kneels down and my friend gets aboard. The camel then stands up and gives her a nice ride. When they return our friend is sitting high up on the Camel and waits for the camel to kneel so she can get off. The camel jockey says, $10 more dollars and the camel will kneel!"

Hank

Honestly I have never understood what people see in camels when on vacation in foreign lands. Only tourists from Western countries would even consider a camel ride a "fun" activity. Having lived in the Middle East for 30 years, I know camels to be pretty, well, let's say "not immaculate" animals. I would never let my children near one. I'm sure they are wonderful - all animals have their virtues - but they are not amusement park rides. Again, I've never understood the attraction, and I think it's a misconception to think of camels as some kind of big friendly dog or horse with humps. I know if I say they are "disgusting" some animal lover will flame me (I'm an animal lover myself, just sayin'...) but really, there must be something better you can do in a foreign port than sit on a camel. Just my 2 cents.

Years and years ago on The Johnny Carson Show . Peter O'Toole and Maureen O'Sullivan (who used to play Jane in the old Tarzan movies ) were having a discussion about what was the most mean and disgusting animal to work with. A chimp or a camel .

They both sounded pretty gross. Camels spit and bite , and they will try and throw you off. And these were professionally trained movie animals . *LOL*

Of course they both made amusing anecdotes about it, but it didn't sound too pleasant to be around them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tunisia was cancelled. Last year it was cancelled for most cruises, including ours on the Noordam, and I've heard (don't quote me) it has been cancelled on several this year. It was on our schedule up until sailing, however, I contacted HAL six weeks out and they told me it was already cancelled. Why, they still had it listed on our docs and online up until sailing, I have no idea. We went to Cagliari instead.

Edited by jmkennett

If HAL cancel La Goulette (Tunis) they will be doing themselves and their customers an exceptionally large favour. It is without doubt, the worst port of call I have ever encountered in 42 cruises. I don't usually say 'never ever again' but I would about Tunis. If it does call, stay on the ship is the best advice I can give.

If HAL cancel La Goulette (Tunis) they will be doing themselves and their customers an exceptionally large favour. It is without doubt, the worst port of call I have ever encountered in 42 cruises. I don't usually say 'never ever again' but I would about Tunis. If it does call, stay on the ship is the best advice I can give.

On the other hand, I enjoyed my two port stops at Tunis so much that I wanted to see more of the country and went back last fall for two weeks to see the amazing Roman cities scattered throughout the country -- plus stayed overnight at the edge of the Sahara. It was a great and very memorable trip.

If I may ask, what was so awful about Tunis? Did you see the wonderfully scenic remains of the Antonine Baths on the shore of the Mediterranean? Did you visit the Bardo museum with the largest collection of mosaics in the world? :confused:

We will assume you have never been to Constanta :).

Hank