MDR dress code for 7yo

My question concerns clothing for my 7 year old boys in the MDR. We are sailing on FOS in September. Will shorts be allowed for my sons? I'm thinking of nice khaki shorts with a button down shirt and loafers.

It's our first cruise with our children. I appreciate any input.

Blessings,

Jenny

Edited by Southern Princess

We just got off the NOS today. Third cruise for my son (4 years old), but his first on RC. With the exception of formal nights, he wore nice khaki shirts with a collared shirt and sperry loafers every night to the MDR. My daughter and I are always on the dressy side - hubby follows the suggested dress. I felt that my son was completely appropriate, despite his shorts. :)

Have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as they avoid anyone from Cruise Critic, they'll be fine!

Honestly, I understand you wanting to be appropriate, and I applaud that, but it worries me that we'd even think about dress for a 7 year old on a cruise! It can 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the MDR, depending on your waiter, and pretty much anything that gets them to comfortably sit through dinner is fine! So yeah, if they happen to love long khakis and a polo because they get to look like Dad, then go for that. If not, and they're happy in shorts, they're kids! Let them enjoy!

(For the record, I'm agreeing with you that it's fine. The rest of that is because I made the mistake of opening one too many dress code threads tonight! Enjoy your cruise with your boys! :))

Sailed Oasis 6/21-6/28/-14 Western Caribbean

Other than formal nights you should have no problem. We had our DD's 14 & 10 along and they wore nice shorts some nights without an issue. We did MTD and I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

They do have a sign that states "No Shorts" at the entryway on Deck 5, but we saw men, women and children wearing shorts to the MDR. Some not so nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ignore the people that will tell you're a terrible parent for not putting a tux on your 7 year old even on casual nights.

On any night, including formal nights, you will see everything from shorts and t-shirts to full suits.

It is your vacation that you paid for. If what you and your family is wearing bothers anyone else.... that's their problem, not yours.

I will never understand why it bothers some people. :rolleyes:

Sailed Oasis 6/21-6/28/-14 Western Caribbean

Other than formal nights you should have no problem.

Even on formal nights, a seven year old should be able to wear whatever makes them comfortable.

Do people really expect a seven year old to wear a tuxedo or dark suit? If so, you need to be sailing Cunard, not RCCL!

Do people really expect a seven year old to wear a tuxedo or dark suit? If so, you need to be sailing Cunard, not RCCL!

Expect it? I don't think so.......but I did see even younger boys in suits on formal night. Both of my son's had suits every year of their lives. The girls had beautiful dresses too. It's nice to get dressed up and take pictures on your vacation or a special occasion. Granted it's not for everyone or every family. But if they are brought up with formal attire, they will always feel comfortable in it and always enjoy that great feeling of something special.

8th Grade graduation. 12pm, 85 degrees in the shade. Mine is the one in the Tux, that's what he chose to wear.

ImageUploadedByForums1404707893.540956.jpg.d2af88c7478db164ff120e43f27507aa.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404707749.191784.jpg.b5ba5aca65f4a798ae6067fd00bd91f4.jpg

My question concerns clothing for my 7 year old boys in the MDR. We are sailing on FOS in September. Will shorts be allowed for my sons? I'm thinking of nice khaki shorts with a button down shirt and loafers.

Blessings,

Jenny

So I think a fair answer is whatever works for your family will be fine. You seem to want to dress them very nicely and appropriately. Do what's comfortable for your family. If you feel overdressed, dress down, or vice versa. If you want pictures aboard, bring outfits for that. Plenty of photo ops while cruising. Just relax and have fun, IMO that's what the crew wants for you too, so there is not going to be a lot of confrontation about attire.

That sounds nice. I would think that's ok. I do know that on our last cruise, they were enforcing no shorts in the dining room, but I don't know that they would enforce it with young children like that.

Enjoy your cruise and blessings to you as well!

do what makes you both feel comfortable. A cruise isn't a Victoria era re-enactment. Its fun. Its a family Caribbean cruise on a fun family cruise line. Khaki shorts and a polo would be dressed up for a 7 year old.

Enjoy and relax

do what makes you both feel comfortable. A cruise isn't a Victoria era re-enactment. Its fun. Its a family Caribbean cruise on a fun family cruise line. Khaki shorts and a polo would be dressed up for a 7 year old.

Enjoy and relax

Absolutely well said.

Blessings,

Jenny

A cruise is like everywhere else, you can't make everyone happy, so stop trying!

What your 7 yr old wears isn't important, its how they behave!

If they're well mannered, they'd be welcome at our table in their pajamas!:D

Ignore the people that will tell you're a terrible parent for not putting a tux on your 7 year old even on casual nights.

Yep, DEFINITELY ignore anyone who tells you that! Of course, no one has ever said that & I doubt anyone ever would, but why let logic get in the way of a wild-eyed rant! :rolleyes:

I agree with those who say as long as the clothes are clean & "nice" don't worry about pants vs. shorts for a 7 year old.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I've been reading this thread on my iPhone app and for some reason it skips over some posts, maybe later I can search through on my laptop. However, I feel reassured with the answers I received.

I should have included in my original post that my concern was for casual nights only.

Again, thank you all!

God bless and happy sailing!

Jenny

Blessings,

Jenny

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I've been reading this thread on my iPhone app and for some reason it skips over some posts, maybe later I can search through on my laptop. However, I feel reassured with the answers I received.

I should have included in my original post that my concern was for casual nights only.

Again, thank you all!

God bless and happy sailing!

Jenny

Blessings,

Jenny

Have a great time!! Your child will be fine It looks like some of the not so nice posts have been removed.

Edited by molly361

I don't care what most people wear in the dining room, but we were on a cruise when a probably a 45 + yr. old male came to our table wearing the same swim trunks and tank top that we had seen him wearing earlier in the day in the swimming pool and later playing ping pong and dripping in sweat. Image our shock when he and his wife joined us at our dinner table wearing the same clothes he had warn all day. His wife was dressed just a little bit better. They were that way the first & 2nd. night. Some one must have said something to them because after that they were a little better the rest of the cruise.

Also a little tip.... You may want to ask the waiters to speed up dinner a little in case your child gets board. Shoot, it's too long for me sometimes!!!! Our daughter is 9 but has been cruising since she was 3. She opts for eating with her new friends from Adventure Ocean. They take the kids to dinner at the Windjammer and then off to camp. Gives us adults some alone time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruisnpat, we saw something similar on a cruise many years ago. The gentleman showed up in MDR in the same shorts and a tshirt for a couple of nights in a row. His luggage was lost by the airlines and I guess he didn't have any other clothes.

Blessings,

Jenny

Brenderlou- Thanks for the tip! My husband and I have reservations at Chops. I didn't know they take the kids to eat from Adventure Ocean. We had planned on just taking them ourselves to eat before we dropped them off.

We go out to eat often as a family, but always casual restaurants. I think this cruise will be the prefect opportunity to introduce them to formal dining and new foods.

Blessings,

Jenny

I don't care what most people wear in the dining room, but we were on a cruise when a probably a 45 + yr. old male came to our table wearing the same swim trunks and tank top that we had seen him wearing earlier in the day in the swimming pool and later playing ping pong and dripping in sweat. Image our shock when he and his wife joined us at our dinner table wearing the same clothes he had warn all day. His wife was dressed just a little bit better. They were that way the first & 2nd. night. Some one must have said something to them because after that they were a little better the rest of the cruise.

Is a black bathing suit OK on formal night ?

I think a young one that age is dressed fine for MDR. As someone said, conduct is more important than dress for one that age.