Apple store on board Infinity

jaz33

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I believe there is an Apple iLounge on board Infinity. I am cruising the fjords in August and would like to purchase a MacBook Pro. Does anyone have any information on the cost on board?

Many thanks.

Ian.

They are the same price as in the US. So check out the prices on US websites and see how they compare when you convert the pricing. My friends in OZ and the UK say the pricing is much better on the ship for Apple products and for Beauty products in the Duty Free than they could get at home.

Our travelling companions bought an iPad mini on last year on the cruise and the IT guys in the iLounge were great. Set it up for them, loaded some apps and gave them 3o min free internet. Wasn't much difference in price but saved on taxes plus he had OBC to use up.

Remember though that even though it's duty free, you may have to pay they duty when you go home. Crusie lines provide a list of large purchases to customs authority so they know who may owe the duty.

The front desk has lists of which items are subject to what duty amounts in particular countries if you ask.

Also bear in mind the products offered will generally be the "lower end" models, i.e. less ram, slower video, smaller shard drive etc. I considered a macbook on one of my sailings, sand texted the details to a friend of mine who is a manger in an apple store on land (in the USA), and he said their pricing was the same, but pointed to the specifications being of a low end model and I wouldn't have been happy with those technical specs once I got home, so I declined the purchase.

You definitely have to compare "Apples to Apples" lol :D The iLounge had brisk sales of iPods and iPad Mini's on our cruise. They sold out 3 days before we reached Venice and couldn't restock until they got back to Rome. When my friends first started looking at the Mini's they had lots and in different colours, when they last checked there were only 2 left and no choice of colours so they grabbed it. They are still happy with their decision.

Edited by Christine Frances

Just off the Summit on Sunday. I bought a iPad mini and an apple tv device. Prices are the same as on line. You save tax up to a point. I did not exceed max allowed for US citizens.

They had Mac pro and most things. They have most accessories. I looked at everything. We do not have a store close so it was great to look and play.

I bought an I pad last year....could have done better at home in a box store with their promotion..giftcard rebate and that is AFTER the sales tax would be added in.

The "clerk" was okay...didn't offer any major assistance and NO FREE INTERNET!!!

Check your shoreside pricing and as someone mentioned the specs of the model number...

as the old saying goes...buyer beware...:eek:

On a MacBook Pro, or even ipad, you CANNOT add memory later as it is soldered in place on the motherboard. Gone are the days of unplugging the old chip and dropping in a new one.

Be SURE of the specs you want, before you buy, what you buy is what you have....

On a MacBook Pro, or even ipad, you CANNOT add memory later as it is soldered in place on the motherboard. Gone are the days of unplugging the old chip and dropping in a new one.

Be SURE of the specs you want, before you buy, what you buy is what you have....

Yep, I learned this when considered buying on board. Luckily I have a friend in the Apple store. I texted him the model number and pic of the specs for his reply, I even said well I'll just add the ram when I get home, then he taught me this!

Is there any advantage financial or otherwise to buying any technical product on a ship? I doubt it.

DON

I think there may be some value to some people from foreign countries where the exchange rates make electronics more appealing in USD than their home countries where VAT may be quite high and a big part of the price.

But for us in the USA, I doubt it.

Another reason is if someone gets some OBC they wont use otherwise, they can use it agains the purchase, sometimes on items they never allow discounts like a lot of apple products or brand name jewelry.

Price for the entry level MacBook Pro in uk is £1099. Same specp rice in US is $1299. About £780. I think a nice saving can be made :). Thanks for all the responses.

For UK residents, there are good deals to be had at the Apple store onboard. We had almost $1,000 in OBC on our last cruise, so treated ourselves to an iPad. It cost us the same in dollars as it would have cost in pounds at home, so quite a nice saving. It came with a US plug, but the plugs just click on to the cable, so we picked up a UK plug when we got back.

Celebrity may give details of onboard purchases to Customs in some countries, but I don't think they are required to do this in the UK. I realise the OP is cruising outside the EU, but for cruises within the EU there are no limits to what you can bring back to the UK as long as it is for your own personal use or a gift, so HM Customs generally have no interest in your onboard purchases.