Melia Nassau Day Pass?

nu2crusin

Our group of 6 will be in Nassau aboard the Enchantment of the Seas on October 29, 2014. We will have from 7am-11:59pm in port and like the idea of purchasing a day beach pass rather than Royal's shore excursions. Looking for those who have experienced stays at the British Colonial Hilton, The Melia or Breezes. Can't decide which will be the best for us. Umbrellas are a must for shade-we hail from Minnesota. Drinks will be consumed but a $40 voucher per person should cover that so an all inclusive is not necessary. Just looking for the best experience for the best value.

So sorry all, been meaning to come back to this thread and post after coming back from my cruise and kept forgetting.

We did the NCL Sky cruise 8/11-15. We went to Melia while in Nassau. We tried to use the Jitney but must have gotten turned around somewhere in the directions and ended up on a street where no #10 buses were running (we saw lots of other # buses but no #10's) After waiting about 15 minutes a taxi driver asked us if our group needed a ride. We ended up with 2 taxis at $4 a piece (there were 14 of us) We arranged with the taxi driver to come back at 3:45 to pick us up.

At the Melia we waited for a few minutes in line to get our wristbands (maybe 10-15minutes nothing outrageous) They were $30 and towels are not included. We had all brought ours from the ship. We had beach bags and had brought snacks and waters and had no problem with that.

The grounds are nice. We were too late to get an umbrella. There are a few but we didn't get there until after 11am. There were plenty of chairs and we managed to drag about 12 all together.

The paddleboard and kayaks were on a first come basis. We waited just a bit and then our group had a paddleboard and kayak that we took turns passing from one to another for probably 2 hours. Everyone who wanted to got a turn on both. There were more kayaks then paddleboards. I think there were only 2-3 of those. Both kayaks and paddleboards are of pretty lower end quality (I've rented both other places...and had some similar to these and some definitely better) and a little difficult to steer....but still fun.

There is a few rock groupings they have made a bit off the shore to snorkel to. Noone in our group snorkeled that day as we had just done deadmans reef the day before.- so I have no info on how the snorkeling was.

There is a outdoor restaurant between the pools and the beach. A few in our group got some food and said it was decent. Prices were not terrible for a resort with plenty of items under $15.

There is free wifi in the lobby and in Starbucks.

Ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer.

I have some pics on FB but don't know how to get them here. Worked last night so will try to figure it out later...or PM me and I'll give you a link to my album.

sorry so slow to post this

Trish

Just found this thread!

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I also ask about a menu for their food and received the following:

menu-XL.jpg

drinks-L.jpg

I know someone mentioned that their prices are high and someone else had said they are about the same as anywhere else in ports.

I find them to be extremely high and will probably not bother to eat here. All salads over $11, cheeseburgers almost $20 and a HOT DOG at $14?? I'm not sure where everyone else cruises in the Caribbean but I have never paid these kind of prices for hotdogs and hamburgers. :eek:

The prices are high. Several have said that. I thought the food at Coki Beach wasn't exactly cheap either but it's higher at Melia. To me it's a nice place to go if you want that all inclusive feel. Otherwise walk or grab a quick cab to Junkanoo. Cabbage beach is pretty but entirely too wavy and active. Plus the guys running the wave runners make it worse. They come right up on the crowd. And $20 for an umbrella. I think not.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I'm not saying don't go there because the food is too pricey. I'm just saying it's pretty expensive compared to other places I have been too (including Coki which only charged $11 for a cheeseburger platter with fries and was loaded). I will just eat a big breakfast before leaving and then eat once we return to the ship. I will probably only spend money on a few sodas there. :)

I was just in Nassau via the Carnival Pride and did a day pass at the Melia. If you're looking to hang out on the beach I'd highly recommend it. However, the pools have seen a better day.

The food is very expensive. You'd be best served by eating a big breakfast and then stopping somewhere on your way back to the ship (fish fry?). We took the jitney #10 -- it was easy to find the bus stop and gave us some local flavor!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it worth it to go to Melia if we will be on Oasis of the Seas and only in Nassau from 7am - 2pm? How long does it take to get there and back?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my limited time in Nassue (for the first time). Should I just stay closer to the ship at the Hilton and not risk it?

Did the $30. day pass and can't rave enough about this resort. I took the #10 Bus (Corner of Bay and George Streets) for $1.25 (you pay the driver as you leave). I saw the driver make change but I had exact. In no time I was let off across the street. I arrived around 9:30 a.m. and no line at check-in. The staff were absolutely lovely and I felt so welcome even if I was only a day guest. I was asked if I had a towel (I didn't) so I was given a towel card. The pool/beach area is quite expansive and there were very few guests. I was able to get a lounger with an umbrella close to the water sports kiosk. I didn't need snorkel equipment but I asked where to snorkel and the staff (who work for Stuart Cove, an excellent snorkel/dive company I've used in the past) were very helpful about this (Andre is a great guy). The sand on the beach is much softer than the sand at Junkanoo Beach and once in the water there were no rocks (Junkanoo Beach had tons last June when I was there). The water was warm and crystal clear. It's an easy swim (you can practically walk all the way) to the rocks where the fish and coral are. I saw a lot of fish. No turtles or stingrays but that's okay. Andre said you get them when the tide comes in and the rocks are completely covered, which didn't happen while I was there. I spent most of my time in the water. There were conveniently located showers to get the salt water and sand off. No problems asking for ice water at the beach bar. Again, very nice staff. I didn't use the pool (who would when the ocean was so calm and delightful?) but it looked very nice. I spent 3 1/2 hours and took the bus back. That's when I noticed how packed Junkanoo Beach was. You pass Fish Fry on the way back so if you want to have your lunch there it would work. I considered that but I figured you'd need a lot of time for that and I had some things to do in town before returning to the ship.

So in my opinion, the $30. was well worth the price for a much nicer, less crowded beach. The ship I was on charged about $50. for a similar experience at their Balmoral private island day resort and they charge extra for snorkeling. Someone who went there said the beach was rocky there too.

I was never a big fan of Nassau but this experience has turned my head around and I look forward to repeating this experience when I return to Nassau.

Thanks for the review Cruise Pup! Do you know what non motorized sport equipment is included? I have been researching and we are planning to try the Melia in two weeks. Traveling with three teens, 1 that will be quite content to lie on the beach with me but 2 that like to be active. Any info you can provide is appreciated!

Thanks for the review Cruise Pup! Do you know what non motorized sport equipment is included? I have been researching and we are planning to try the Melia in two weeks. Traveling with three teens, 1 that will be quite content to lie on the beach with me but 2 that like to be active. Any info you can provide is appreciated!

Don't know what was included but as I recall they had kayaks, pedal boats and this crazy bubble you try to walk on the water from inside as it spins (they hold a tether so you can't float away).

Did the $30. day pass and can't rave enough about this resort. I took the #10 Bus (Corner of Bay and George Streets) for $1.25 (you pay the driver as you leave). I saw the driver make change but I had exact. In no time I was let off across the street. I arrived around 9:30 a.m. and no line at check-in. The staff were absolutely lovely and I felt so welcome even if I was only a day guest. I was asked if I had a towel (I didn't) so I was given a towel card. The pool/beach area is quite expansive and there were very few guests. I was able to get a lounger with an umbrella close to the water sports kiosk. I didn't need snorkel equipment but I asked where to snorkel and the staff (who work for Stuart Cove, an excellent snorkel/dive company I've used in the past) were very helpful about this (Andre is a great guy). The sand on the beach is much softer than the sand at Junkanoo Beach and once in the water there were no rocks (Junkanoo Beach had tons last June when I was there). The water was warm and crystal clear. It's an easy swim (you can practically walk all the way) to the rocks where the fish and coral are. I saw a lot of fish. No turtles or stingrays but that's okay. Andre said you get them when the tide comes in and the rocks are completely covered, which didn't happen while I was there. I spent most of my time in the water. There were conveniently located showers to get the salt water and sand off. No problems asking for ice water at the beach bar. Again, very nice staff. I didn't use the pool (who would when the ocean was so calm and delightful?) but it looked very nice. I spent 3 1/2 hours and took the bus back. That's when I noticed how packed Junkanoo Beach was. You pass Fish Fry on the way back so if you want to have your lunch there it would work. I considered that but I figured you'd need a lot of time for that and I had some things to do in town before returning to the ship.

So in my opinion, the $30. was well worth the price for a much nicer, less crowded beach. The ship I was on charged about $50. for a similar experience at their Balmoral private island day resort and they charge extra for snorkeling. Someone who went there said the beach was rocky there too.

I was never a big fan of Nassau but this experience has turned my head around and I look forward to repeating this experience when I return to Nassau.

Thanks so much for your great report of Melia. It sounds like you had a wonderful day there. I can't wait to try it out in a little over 30 days.

It sounds awesome if the water was a great height to go out to the rocks. Hopefully the water will be like that when we get there. I get a little nervous going out too deep with my 6 year old.

Thanks so much for your great report of Melia. It sounds like you had a wonderful day there. I can't wait to try it out in a little over 30 days.

It sounds awesome if the water was a great height to go out to the rocks. Hopefully the water will be like that when we get there. I get a little nervous going out too deep with my 6 year old.

The water was as calm as a mill pond too, which would make it ideal for little oness. They furnish you with snorkel vests which are required. Even if you don't need it they still want to make sure you can be seen.

The water was as calm as a mill pond too, which would make it ideal for little oness. They furnish you with snorkel vests which are required. Even if you don't need it they still want to make sure you can be seen.

That sounds awesome. So glad to hear that the water is so calm. My daughter can swim with no problems and we do have our own snorkel vest and she has her own as well (which we always have her use if we are snorkeling). But I still feel a lot better about it being fairly calm and not too deep. Thanks for the information. :)