What would you have done?

tampabaytom

On the breeze last week I saw 2 people vaping in the ovation theater I didn't do anything but stare them down , what would you have done and whom should I have told ?

I wouldn't do anything if it wasn't bothering me.

I would have gone over and congratulated them for choosing a habit that is neither bad for their health or mine . Seriously though , sure its still against Carnival rules but I don't work for Carnival so not my place to remind people of that fact unless it affects me in some way . Your on a cruise why sweat the little stuff ?

On the breeze last week I saw 2 people vaping in the ovation theater I didn't do anything but stare them down , what would you have done and whom should I have told ?

You say this like it's a bad thing. What I would have done is NOT stared them down and instead chose to enjoy my vacation.

I wouldn't do anything if it wasn't bothering me.

This. IMHO a normal well adjusted person shouldn't feel a need to "correct" someone else's behavior that isn't directly impacting them in a meaninful manner.

Vaping "smoke" is nothing more than water vapor... Not sure why carnival would feel the need to ban vaping in public places...

If there's truly nothing but water vapor in vaping "smoke" then there'd be no point in vaping.

Clearly there's at least nicotine else it wouldn't be appealing to smokers as either a substitute for tobacco or a bridge to quitting. Nobody's going to believe that 100% of the inhaled nicotine is absorbed.

Is 2nd hand vaping "smoke" as bad as 2nd hand tobacco smoke? I'm sure it isn't, but it's also not "just water vapor" either as you suggest.

The reason for any policies is far more likely due to public perception than any concrete info.

If everyone in the world would just be nice to each other and mind their own business.... what a wonderful world this would be!

I know, I have better odds of a monkey flying out of my butt.... :D

Mike

The trouble with vaping is the smoke. It freaks people (me) out when seeing a puff of smoke where none should be. Humans instinctively think fire when they see smoke.

Had a big scare in the Big Red Barn at the Los Angeles County Fair last year. Big puff of smoke right at the fence of the display livestock. Fire and pine shavings in a 60yo barn are not a good mix. Thankfully it was an e-cig.

The trouble with vaping is the smoke. It freaks people (me) out when seeing a puff of smoke where none should be. Humans instinctively think fire when they see smoke.

Had a big scare in the Big Red Barn at the Los Angeles County Fair last year. Big puff of smoke right at the fence of the display livestock. Fire and pine shavings in a 60yo barn are not a good mix. Thankfully it was an e-cig.

It's not smoke is it? I thought it was steam (water vapor)?

I know next to nothing about it.

Can someone clarify?

I would have gone over and congratulated them for choosing a habit that is neither bad for their health or mine . Seriously though , sure its still against Carnival rules but I don't work for Carnival so not my place to remind people of that fact unless it affects me in some way . Your on a cruise why sweat the little stuff ?

Actually its does still negatively impact their health and those around them. While not as bad as cigarette smoke, it is still far from healthy. Studies show that the vapor increase small particulates in even a well ventilated room. small particulates are very much tied to lung cancer.

The vapor also contain various levels of nicotine (a whole range of negative impact pacts there), heavy metals from the heating elements, and other compounds, depending upon the liquid used.

On the plus side they are considered "healthy" when compared to actual cigarettes, but on the negative side they release particulates and toxic materials that impact others around them when used inside.

Vaping "smoke" is nothing more than water vapor... Not sure why carnival would feel the need to ban vaping in public places...

It is not just water vapor, unless the liquid being vaped is nothing but water.

Good marketing by those selling the e-cigs but not reality. Go to med line and do a search on studies on e-cig vapors.

Here is one study performed dealing with impact in inside space.

Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2014 Jul;217(6):628-37. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2013.11.003. Epub 2013 Dec 6.

Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) impairs indoor air quality and increases FeNO levels of e-cigarette consumers.

Schober W1, Szendrei K2, Matzen W2, Osiander-Fuchs H3, Heitmann D4, Schettgen T5, Jörres RA6, Fromme H2.

Author information

Abstract

Despite the recent popularity of e-cigarettes, to date only limited data is available on their safety for both users and secondhand smokers. The present study reports a comprehensive inner and outer exposure assessment of e-cigarette emissions in terms of particulate matter (PM), particle number concentrations (PNC), volatile organic compounds (VOC), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), carbonyls, and metals. In six vaping sessions nine volunteers consumed e-cigarettes with and without nicotine in a thoroughly ventilated room for two hours. We analyzed the levels of e-cigarette pollutants in indoor air and monitored effects on FeNO release and urinary metabolite profile of the subjects. For comparison, the components of the e-cigarette solutions (liquids) were additionally analyzed. During the vaping sessions substantial amounts of 1,2-propanediol, glycerine and nicotine were found in the gas-phase, as well as high concentrations of PM2.5 (mean 197μg/m(3)). The concentration of putative carcinogenic PAH in indoor air increased by 20% to 147ng/m(3), and aluminum showed a 2.4-fold increase. PNC ranged from 48,620 to 88,386 particles/cm(3) (median), with peaks at diameters 24-36nm. FeNO increased in 7 of 9 individuals. The nicotine content of the liquids varied and was 1.2-fold higher than claimed by the manufacturer. Our data confirm that e-cigarettes are not emission-free and their pollutants could be of health concern for users and secondhand smokers. In particular, ultrafine particles formed from supersaturated 1,2-propanediol vapor can be deposited in the lung, and aerosolized nicotine seems capable of increasing the release of the inflammatory signaling molecule NO upon inhalation. In view of consumer safety, e-cigarettes and nicotine liquids should be officially regulated and labeled with appropriate warnings of potential health effects, particularly of toxicity risk in children.

Bottom line is better then regular cigarettes, very little if any second hand risk outside, but is an issue when used in inside space if the number of users climb above the exception stage to the routinely seeing someone use them level.

Edited by RDC1

To me, the nonsmoking wife of a smoker, ecigs are a welcome alternative to smoking, and virtually indetectable to the nose. I do think it is rude, however, to use them in the MDR or theaters. I wouldn't have said anything, though.

I started using e cigs 2 years ago and have not had a tobacco since... I am one that will use it around the ship but never in the dining room or theater.. That being said I have recently started buying non vapor, they are the same thing but as long as inhaled releases no vapor so no one can see it... So if everyone is complaining about the vapor I guess I could use mine!!!

:).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app