Specialty Restaurants Dress Code

threetimesalady

Hello, we are booked on the Island Princess in late August for the Northbound Alaska sailing. In an effort to pack lighter and because we don't particularly like to dress formally, we have decided to avoid formal nights in the MDR on this cruise. We would never dress less than smart casual on any night but out of deference to other people's feelings, we are looking at alternative options on those nights. Is formal dress required in the Specialty Restaurants on those evenings? I have tried to find the answer in these forums, but saw only older, conflicting posts.

Thanks,

Penny

We were recently on the Island in May for the short repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver. Since it was just a quick getaway for us, we didn't want to drag along the formal wear. We ate in the Bayou Cafe on formal evening, still dressed nicely but not formal. Many other diners joining us there that evening looked to be people escaping the formal night dress code, although no one was dressed less than smart casual. It appeared to be the same in Sabatini's when we walked by as well.

On a side note, I wish we had chosen Sabatini's over Bayou Cafe. We have eaten at Sabatini's on other Princess ships and it is always magnificent. The Bayou Cafe was just OK in my estimation. Maybe I'm just not wowed by the whole cajun flavor experience, but if I were to choose again I would pick Sabatini's. Be sure to take a moment to review the menu before you decide which way to go. Bayou Cafe is definitely a bit different. Still not sure if I would give the alligator ribs a thumbs up or down! :eek:

Hello, we are booked on the Island Princess in late August for the Northbound Alaska sailing. In an effort to pack lighter and because we don't particularly like to dress formally, we have decided to avoid formal nights in the MDR on this cruise. We would never dress less than smart casual on any night but out of deference to other people's feelings, we are looking at alternative options on those nights. Is formal dress required in the Specialty Restaurants on those evenings? I have tried to find the answer in these forums, but saw only older, conflicting posts.

Thanks,

Penny

No its not required, you will be fine.

It's a smart move on Princess's part I think. I'm sure many people pay the extra price on those nights for the freedom of not having to dress formally. On Holland America the specialty restaurants observe the formal dress. I think Princess definitely has the better plan. :cool:

It's a smart move on Princess's part I think. I'm sure many people pay the extra price on those nights for the freedom of not having to dress formally. On Holland America the specialty restaurants observe the formal dress. I think Princess definitely has the better plan. :cool:

Completely agree. Not sure why HAL hadn't caught on to that yet, Celebrity has.

RC does the same

Penny, thanks for asking this question, as my DH and I were just discussing this very thing. And thanks to everyone else for their answers. We leave next month with a much clearer picture of what we can expect.

Ann