Downgrading is my new philosophy

I love it dark and quiet when I sleep. You can almost always be assured of that with an inside cabin.

We're leaving in three weeks for an Alaskan cruise. The days are so long, it's only dark for about 4 hours. If we had paid for a balcony and were unlucky enough to be next door to a chain smoker or a loud party, I'd be very unhappy. Few people are dumb enough to party in an inside room!

As other have said, half the "rental" cost means twice the number of trips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as there are cruise lines to fit everyone's tastes from Carnival to Regent, there are cabins to fit everyone's taste and pocketbook.

That being said, we opt for a balcony. We love the privacy, especially on sea days, where we set up our "day camp". We have our Kindle and Nook, minispeakers (turned very low), a glass of wine, a private close by bathroom, room service,and each other. It is not quite like Omar Khayyam, (a loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou beside me in the wilderness) but close enough.

I'm with you! This is the best way to spend a sea day!

While I'm not claustrophobic, I do find inside cabins disorienting with no light coming in through a window. We've always been OK with an outside cabin. We did have one balcony cabin as a free upgrade on an oceanview guarantee - it was certainly nice, but I wouldn't voluntarily pay extra to have the balcony over a window. For our upcoming cruise, we're going to try and compromise - booked a Promenade Family cabin. Our choices get a bit limited with a family of 5, but can't afford two cabins. So we'll see if this compromise is OK for us. Really would have liked the Family Oceanview, but the price was another $1000 more than what we're already paying.

I think I'll be grand by leaving the TV on the bridge-cam channel; after all, it's relaying pretty much real time, so it's not direct sunlight but you have an idea of what level of light is outside :) And I guess we'll find out if this doesn't work for us after all. Trial and error! :p

I see a lot of similarities to any other real estate transaction.

Its a matter of weighing factors for most of us - size and amenities vs budget.

I've been shopping for retirement home. At first I was looking for smaller homes, but kept wanting to add a morning room or a sitting room off the master...and i would end up looking at larger and more expensive places. But do I want to be strapped financially at some point in the future? - not now, but when the cost of living has doubled but my income is stagnant?

For the house I'm going with something 3/4 of my current home and skipping the add-on rooms. Budget trumps other factors.

For a cruise, I book an inside. if i can get an upgrade, fine, but I can enjoy any cabin that lets me shower each day and stretch out each night.

For each of us its a balancing act between what we can afford and what is important to us.

I see a lot of similarities to any other real estate transaction.

I think that's very apt.......I was saying something similar to someone on these boards considering a suite to have some luxuries in service and comfort. My response was that I'd rather have a smaller cabin on a more luxurious ship than a larger cabin (suite) on a mainstream line, much like the real estate addage that the wisest move is to buy the smallest house in the best neighbourhood that you can afford rather than buying or building a larger house in a poorer neighbourhood.

I've cruised 7 times, twice with an outside porthole cabin, 4 times with a balcony cabin (one sheltered, three 'glass') and a short inside cabin cruise.

I too had the best sleep ever in the inside cabin and this has made me darken my bedroom at home...good sleep continues.

As with others here I was getting bothered by how little I used my balcony...too windy much of the time and, with the sheltered balcony, too poor a view unless I was standing right up against the edge...less wind but also less sun.

Given I am a solo occupant the price uplift is very considerable.

However the downside of the inside cabin for me was that whilst I slept well my body clock was all over the place...sleeping 10-13 hours a day and still tired. On a long cruise I realised I would need to be more disciplined about ensuring structured access to light. I also like the peace and quiet a cabin provides and the two may conflict. That said I really think it may be worth trying an inside cabin for longer and wondered what the longest trip anyone had done using one, what the size of the cabin was and any tips.

The upside of the glass fronted balcony cabins was when we sailed through the Norwegian Fjiords. It was just amazing waking up to see from one's bed these staggeringly beautiful views. It was also exceptionally moving sailing into cities like New York, Southampton (on the Golden Jubilee celebration morning) and Venice from the quiet of one's own balcony and the great access to wonderful vistas... Still in one's bathrobes...

It is a bit of a balancing act but as I am thinking of doing a good chunk of a world cruise an inside cabin may enable me to travel further and I am thinking of giving it a try.

That said I really think it may be worth trying an inside cabin for longer and wondered what the longest trip anyone had done using one, what the size of the cabin was and any tips.

I have been on 6 cruises (1 Costa, 2 Princess, 3 RCCL)... all inside cabins. The shortest was 7 days, the longest was 12 nights (last year). 3 of these have been with my mom. My next cruise, also with my mom, with be a 15nt transatlantic (RCCL). So, needless to say, I know inside cabins....lol

I believe our largest cabins have been on RCCL.... about 165 sqft.

With two women in a cabin, you can imagine we have a lot of "stuff".... however, we have always managed to organize things without a problem (and it helps to tidy things up daily so it doesn't get out of control).

We enjoy all the ship and ports have to offer, so we spend as little time in our room as possible. Considering this, we don't mind an inside cabin in the least if it means we can take more/longer cruises. But that's just us.

At the moment, the only itinerary I am considering splurging on a balcony is an Alaskan cruise.... but as with most things, budget will win out. If the times comes when I decide I am ready for this itinerary and all I can afford is an inside cabin, I won't hesitate for a minute to book that rather than the balcony.

PS - I'm not knocking balconies or any other category. I'm sure they are all absolutely wonderful!!! I'm just answering the question Nonio asked :)

Melissa

We have been in all sorts of cabins on various cruise ships, including Cunard Costa and Princess. We find the inside cabins on both Costa and Princess are more than fine. We leave the web cam on on mute. We are then convenient for leaving the ship, without waiting for lifts etc and normally would have room service continental breakfast as I am NOT a " morning person" and cannot face the scrum of the self service, that early in the day. This enables us to have more cruises than we could have had if we always had a balcony.:)

We have cruised a few times on RCCL, once on Princess and Holland America. This Sept. we will be on the Norwegian Pearl for our 6th West Coast re-positioning Cruise. 6 times same ship same cabin.

I was in an inside cabin for 1 Cruise. Never again! Balcony on RCCL for a couple of cruises and then tried a Suite. We like Suites and cannot go back down!

We have Cruised on the Pearl in the Deluxe Grande Suite 5 times and if it was not available we would likely look elsewhere. Not being rich we have to save for this one indulgence. We would rather have one Cruise that we really enjoy rather any number of less expensive Cruises.

But it really comes down to what fits and works for each couple. We pass on a lot of entertainment ($'s) and make up for it on our Cruise.

Works for us and probably not for many others

Doug

Having cruised 15 times - starting with an inside (student rate) on the QE2 transatlantic - no, can't go there ever again. The lack of natural light made me sleep in - forever - missed so much. The second cruise I moved up to an ocean view - much better. Third cruise was a balcony - never looked back. Love to sleep with the drapes open. Love walking out on the deck in the middle of the night and just sitting there listening to the surf. Love using the deck during the day as my private sanctuary. Loved seeing dolphins and whales (in the Atlantic on the way to Bermuda) and flying fish and other ships. I just budget for a balcony and that's it. Tried suites twice - loved the extra room - but unless the price is right (which it rarely is) I pass on that category.

Honestly the only two cruises I felt the balcony was wasted were Alaska and Canada/New England - too cold, damp and found better views behind glass elsewhere on the ship. But there's something for everyone and no single choice is the definitive choice.

Edited by Dogs&Ponies

I can appreciate saving money on an inside cabin so you can cruise more often. If that works for you then great. I love the openness and natural light of the rooms with balconies. We always book balconies. We like to relax in our room and watch the world pass by. Yes it costs more but life is short and one must do what one enjoys. If you watch the cruise specials .... quite often you can get a balcony upgrade for the price of a lesser cabin. We just booked a balcony cabin on the Azamara Quest last month for the price of an inside cabin. It pays to watch the specials. :)

Forty-two cruises ago, in 1965, I started with an inside and around my 30th, decided to try an Outside (no balcony). But then went back to an inside. Finally tried a balcony on my 42nd cruise, and yes, it was nice, but I really enjoy watching people and talking to people, and when I need to be outside I always find a great spot and I agree with you wholeheartedly - why book a balcony when you spend very little time on it. Yes, it was nice to know what the weather outside was like, but you could just turn on the tv and watch the webcam and it would show what it was like outside. So, the amount of money that I save on booking inside allows me to take more excursions, if I want, or to buy something special for myself, or just save it for the next cruise. Which is already booked for my 43rd with my cousin and we're going on back to back trips to the Caribbean, as the ship is stopping at one of my favourite islands, St. Maarten, and the other week has the Cayman Islands on it. So, we will have saved quite a bit by choosing an inside cabin. Only problem is that it is not until March 2015, so I'm just going to be patient - now my cousin, she's going in November with her husband and another couple, but it's just for a week. She'll be ready to go again in March though as we both love to cruise! Only time I'd book a balcony is on my dream cruise which is around the world!!!

Hello..I just booked my 22nd cruise (I am 56 yrs young)...most of them have been booked in the last 6 yrs..this is what works for me (maybe you?) I have found that when I go with a group..whether it be a group of friends or a work group...you are so busy with the group that I definitely book an inside cabin and love having the extra dollars to spend on land or just be able to cruise more often. However, I find that when I go with my partner and it is just the two of us cruising..ie...no friends or relatives tagging along...it is a better cruise to have the balcony and have breakfast on the balcony..have happy hour on the balcony and it just lends itself to a much more intimate time for us. I am more than willing to give up some of the outside activities to have this special time with my overworked husband and enhance our relationship in a more intimate way than to be waiting in lines and listening to some of the very loud patrons. I have also found that when you book a low budget ship such as Carnival and NCL..their balconies offer so little luxury/extra room for the price difference...that it is never worth the extra cost...for these two lines we book an Oceanview room and are the happiest. Cruises are what you make them...however, try a balcony/suite for true romance on a 4.5 star plus and you will love it! If you cruise as much as we have since moving to Florida..the inside and ocean view are also a great time when you just want to get away and still have fun and some relaxation...and it cheaper than going to Disney in Orlando!

So far I have done 3 insides, and 2 balconies with another balcony booked. I prefer to have the extra space of the balcony. We aren't early risers, so I like to have the sun help me wake up. Also I love watching the ship pull into the port. No way would I go up top to watch that. That would need me to brush my teeth and clean the crusties out of my eyes, put on a bra... LOL.

Also love taking afternoon naps on sea days with the balcony door open. I can't ever fall asleep on a lounger.

I'll go the extra bucks for the privilege of waking up in the middle of the night and taking a short walk out on the balcony to smell the sea air, deciding to have lunch or a snack with the ocean as your backdrop or watching the activities going on while docking........................and all with little, if any, getting ready to go out.

Just booked an outside cabin. Cheaper than any of the inside cabins on Navigator of the Seas.

Best cabin we have stayed in was a Grand Suite on Radiance of the Seas for an Australia/New Zealand cruise. Started with a Balcony, but within 5 weeks of our booking the cruise, RCL gave us two upgrades for less money. That was "suite". Cruise was 17 nights long and the extra space and balcony room was great.

We normally do not book anything other than an inside room. But watch for the best deals ... sometimes it pays.

We have only cruised a few times and have only been in inside cabins. Ignorance is bliss? Maybe. But we have loved every minute and don't have a problem with the interior rooms. We cruised with the whole family (Dad, Mom, 3 kids) in a basic interior room. One of our best family vacations ever. We spent a lot of time together in tight quarters, but we go on vacation to spend time together, not to avoid each other. We laughed a lot and made some great memories.

Whatever your preference, if you go with a good attitude, it's bound to be successful. Enjoy!

The lack of natural light would also make me sleep in to much. I am one of them that likes a lot of light. We have 6 glass sliding doors with 3 of them are oversized and we live in Florida. Love the light.

I like being out on the deck and watching the ocean and seeing what makes an appearance. I have seen many dolphins and flying fish. Really like having room service delivered and eating breakfast on the balcony. My husband is an early riser and he will go and get coffee (when we don't do room service) and then read out there until I get up. Having a drink and watching the sun rise and set is wonderful.

As for the smoke someone mentioned since it bothers me so much I will contact customer service. The partying I will deal with to a certain extent. I know people are on vacation and want to have a good time, but if it is really to loud and/or goes past about 11:00 -12:00 then again I will complain. Yes I am one of them that will speak up. I understand that everyone wants to have a good time, but when it infringes on me also having a good time or getting sleep at night then I speak up.

As with everything else, different strokes for different folks. What works best for one person might not work for others.