Dress Code

Hi, I am looking for guidance with regard to dress codes on Celebrity ships. Have not sailed Celebrity before but have sailed Cunard and like the dressing up bit. Can someone let me know what the dress requirements are on Celebrity Eclipse which is the ship I am looking at, also can anyone who has sailed on this ship let me know their thoughts on it. Thanks.

Here's the official policy, cruises have 1, 2 or 3 formal nights, depending on length of cruise. 1 night is 6 night and less, and not sure how many nights a cruise needs to be to have 3, but know it's more than 13 nights.

From the May 30th Summit Celebrity Today on Formal Night:

Evening Attire - Formal

In order to maintain the elegance of our ship's ambiance, Celebrity Cruises requests that their guests adhere to the evening dress code in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. If you are more comfortable in casual attire, you are welcome to dine in Qsine, Deck 11, Oceanview Cafe, Deck 10, Pool Grill, Deck 10, Bistro on 5, Deck 5 or our Specialty Restaurant Normandie, Deck 3. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

From the May 25th Summit Celebrity Today received at embarkation:

The cover page has a schedule of the itinerary noting which days are Formal versus Smart Casual. They define each as:

+Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt/pants with sweater/blouse; Gentlemen: Pants with sports shirt/sweater

+Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit; Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks

Here's a thread with the good bad and ugly about the current policy and hap-hazard enforcement of the policy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066955&page=5

I have not sailed on the Eclipse. However I'm just off the 11 night mediterranean cruise on the Reflection. My observations. 1) enforcement of the policy depends in large part on the current itinerary of the ship 2) enforcement depends on the Matre' D or host(ess). 3) enforcement depends on the dining venue.

For example, one night in Blu I observe a passenger wearing shorts and a nice collared shirt being seated for dinner. Didn't bother me but he was clearly under dressed per the policy.

There are countless entertaining threads on the dress code on this forum on this subject easy to find with the search term "dress code"

If you like the Cunard dress code you most likely enjoy dressing for dinner. DH and I always wear a tux and gown on formal nights, and all others I'm in a dress or skirt/blouse, and he's in dress slacks and a collared shirt, typically with a blazer. Many people will tell you this is overkill but we have never felt out of place despite the more casual dress of some of our fellow passengers.

As for the ship, we were on Eclipse in 2011 and loved it. It's elegant and well appointed, the service and dining were excellent, and it has a number of lovely areas to spend time in. The Ensemble Lounge is a favourite of ours in the evenings before dinner, and typically has good entertainment. When we were on Eclipse (though as mentioned it was some time ago) Ensemble had a rotation of a Spanich Guitarist, a Contemporary Guitarist, a Jazz Quartet and a String Trio. Not suggesting this will be your entertainment on board, but will give you an idea of what might be available.

Edited by We're The Groupnors

Hi, I am looking for guidance with regard to dress codes on Celebrity ships. Have not sailed Celebrity before but have sailed Cunard and like the dressing up bit. Can someone let me know what the dress requirements are on Celebrity Eclipse which is the ship I am looking at, also can anyone who has sailed on this ship let me know their thoughts on it. Thanks.

The dress will mirror what you experienced on your last sailing on Cunard.

That said, it does not mean your fellow passengers will do the same, nor be asked to by the staff.

We have sailed 7 different lines and the S-Class Celebrity ships are our favorite.

Edited by wallie5446

Dress code on the Eclipse is as stated above though enforcement of it is nowhere near as stringent as the UK based cruise lines.

In a nutshell, if you like dressing up you will be in good company but if you prefer to dress down that works also.

If you sail Cunard and like, also support, the formal dining atmosphere you will find Celebrity and RCI have dumbed down the dress nights and there is no enforcement of the formal dress code in the MDR, let alone the rest of the ship, including the theatre on formal nights.

Occasionally a jacket is required in the MDR. On formal nights, but only seen one enforcement in three years.

On our last RCL cruise, on formal night, on entering the MDR, it appeared we had dressed incorrectly and the evening was a actually a Caribbean night.:eek:

If you sail Cunard and like, also support, the formal dining atmosphere you will find Celebrity and RCI have dumbed down the dress nights and there is no enforcement of the formal dress code in the MDR, let alone the rest of the ship, including the theatre on formal nights.

Formal wear has neither been required nor requested in other areas of the ship, including the theater, for many years.

If so, that would mean if you dined in any of the specialty restaurants, Blu, or heaven forbid, the buffet, you would have to return to your cabin to change to formal wear before enjoying the rest of the ship.