Packing advice please - Montreal to Boston on Maasdam

Moriah

It looks like the weather will be pretty "summery" in the ports (80's and sunny), but can anyone tell me what it's like in the evenings and early mornings on deck while at sea? I like to walk the circuit promenade really early... will I need a sweatshirt? A jacket? More than that? Does it get considerably colder on the ship than the "low temperature" forecast for the next port? Also, on Maasdam.. any particularly over-airconditioned areas? Crow's Nest? MDR? I remember on the vistas even in the Caribbean I needed sweaters in those areas...

Thanks in advance for any advice. Packing tonight! Leaving for Montreal tomorrow! :)

I would bring a lightweight, water repellent jacket in case of rain. That would be useful early mornings if it is cool on deck. I always pack a hoodie for that cruise and find I sometimes wear it in the morning but remove it by lunchtime. We have had cool mornings and we have had really hot and humid days. Plan on having a few layers you can put on or off as needed. A short sleeve jersey or two with a hoodie and/ or lightweight jacket, a long sleeve jersey or two and you will have enough combinations to work for any weather.

I would bring a lightweight, water repellent jacket in case of rain. That would be useful early mornings if it is cool on deck. I always pack a hoodie for that cruise and find I sometimes wear it in the morning but remove it by lunchtime. We have had cool mornings and we have had really hot and humid days. Plan on having a few layers you can put on or off as needed. A short sleeve jersey or two with a hoodie and/ or lightweight jacket, a long sleeve jersey or two and you will have enough combinations to work for any weather.

Thanks, Sail. I figure it's mostly a jeans and sneakers cruise (except for dinners in MDR and Pinnacle). Good idea about the hoodie and rain jacket - I just threw those on the pile. When I venture out of my cabin at 5 AM I plan to wear jeans, socks and sneakers, a t-shirt with the hoodie over it and the waterproof windbreaker over that if necessary. I feel kind of like I'm packing for Alaska! :) But I guess the Maritime area can be chilly too...

I forgot to mention in my original post - I'm taking only a carry-on size suitcase! (Plus my briefcase and possibly an additional very small tote bag - depends on whether all my shoes fit in the suitcase!)

Thanks, Sail. I figure it's mostly a jeans and sneakers cruise (except for dinners in MDR and Pinnacle). Good idea about the hoodie and rain jacket - I just threw those on the pile. When I venture out of my cabin at 5 AM I plan to wear jeans, socks and sneakers, a t-shirt with the hoodie over it and the waterproof windbreaker over that if necessary. I feel kind of like I'm packing for Alaska! :) But I guess the Maritime area can be chilly too...

I forgot to mention in my original post - I'm taking only a carry-on size suitcase! (Plus my briefcase and possibly an additional very small tote bag - depends on whether all my shoes fit in the suitcase!)

I could never manage with only carry-on size but so admire those who can. :) Jeans, sneakers and t-shirts will be fine for all day, everyday. Maasdam has self-service laundry machines if you find you want to do some wash.

This is a fabulous itinerary IMO. Hope you enjoy it as much as I always have.

Edited by sail7seas

I could never manage with only carry-on size but so admire those who can. :) Jeans, sneakers and t-shirts will be fine for all day, everyday. Maasdam has self-service laundry machines if you find you want to do some wash.

This is a fabulous itinerary IMO. Hope you enjoy it as much as I always have.

Yes! And they are on my deck. That's one of the reasons i know I can do it, and not have to rely on the ship's laundry. Thank you! I'm so excited!

Agree that a windbreaker and hoodie would be a must at 5 am. I showed my DW your comment on just bringing aboard a carry-on and asked if she could try that on our next cruise. She said no problem as long as she has a cc for shopping in the ports! I believe I'm better off checking and lugging the suitcases.

The weather can really be unpredictably. We did this cruise B2B a few years ago starting in Boston. The first few days were chilly (more like raw) and rainy but then the sun came out and it was warm and beautiful. You will love this cruise. I wish I could talk DH into doing it again. Maybe next year.

Thanks everybody! I am really trying to get everything into that carry-on! What confused me is not being able to just look up the forecast since I assume it can be colder out at sea than in the ports, and I want to be prepared for mornings and evenings as well as the ports of call themselves. I think I'm just about ready to close the suitcase (leaving that till morning) with 1 hoodie, one waterproof windbreaker, 7 t-shirts, one pair of black pants, one pair of white pants, 2 pair of shorts, 2 "nicer" tops for dinner in the Pinnacle if I feel like doing that (with the black pants), pair of pajamas and 2 pairs of shoes plus one pair of flip flops and one swim suit - make-up case, small jewelry roll, tiny purse for around the ship and in port, underwear, socks, and toiletry case - and I'll be wearing my jeans, sneakers, a long sleeved shirt, and a second hoodie for traveling to Montreal tomorrow. No formal wear this time. I'm going solo and really don't need to do formal. Right now it's looking like all of this will fit! So unless I forgot something I may not even need that little additional tote bag. My briefcase holds my laptop and the things I usually carry in my purse. Wow... could it be I'm good to go!

Oh, and let me just say I LOVE this forum. Thank you!

hi

Do you have a old tee shirt or shorts you were plaing to throw out those could be used as PJ's just throw them out last day of cruise.

Good suggestion. I do that with my gym shoes, I take my old ones and just leave them at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in New England, near the coast and currently in Maine. The mornings have been very cool, 50-s to 60's. I would expect the weather at sea in the early mornings to be in the low 50's with wind. I wear long sleeve tee-shirts early morning when I am out kayaking on the ocean or sailing (Maine). I brought a lightweight polar fleece for early morning promenade walks on my Alaska cruise. The weather is not unlike Alaska, temperature wise, very cool mornings, warm daytime temps-minus the rain :D.

I am currently in Bar Harbor. It is 54 degrees at 5:49AM.:cool:

Enjoy your cruise. The maritimes are beautiful!