couple with 80yo mother

Hi am booked on the Explorer of the Sea for a 5 night cruise to Bermuda, am traveling with my wife and my 80yo DM. Whats the recommended cabin or deck? She is mobile just not as fast as she used to be? I booked an interior as this is her first cruise and not sure how she will react to the ships motion.

Guest maddycat

If you are concerned about motion, book a cabin mid-deck and on a lower deck. The higher you are, the more you feel the motion. The same goes for getting a cabin in either the front or the rear of the ship. The closer you are to the center of the ship, the less you will feel.

Guest maddycat
Thanks sounds like good adivice, Is there much room for 3 adults in an interior cabin?

No.

A bit of advice. If your mother is on any medications, check with her doctor about sea sickness medication. You'll want something that is safe to take with her other meds.

You said you were booked. Are you thinking of changing to a cabin that will hold three people? It appears that only cat K is available and it would have a Pullman upper bed for one of you. It appears that mostly forward cabins are available on 10/4. I'd get as close to the elevators as possible.

Don't forget that the locker rooms in the fitness center have big showers, steam rooms, a sauna and lots of towels. This is a good showering option to take the pressure off your cabin bathroom.

All of the interior cabins that sleep more than 2 on the Explorer have the Pullman beds. To get a cabin with a sofa bed you would need to get a balcony or above. Not sure if this makes a difference in your cabin selection. Personally I would go for 2 inside cabins.

You said you were booked. Are you thinking of changing to a cabin that will hold three people? It appears that only cat K is available and it would have a Pullman upper bed for one of you. It appears that mostly forward cabins are available on 10/4. I'd get as close to the elevators as possible.

Don't forget that the locker rooms in the fitness center have big showers, steam rooms, a sauna and lots of towels. This is a good showering option to take the pressure off your cabin bathroom.

Yes I have booked it, and have a cat K so will have a pullman from what I was told.. just getting apprehensive and figuring I will be sleeping on it leaving my DM and DW on the twins....

No.

A bit of advice. If your mother is on any medications, check with her doctor about sea sickness medication. You'll want something that is safe to take with her other meds.

We have already spoken to her DR. Thank you so much for your advice..

Yes I have booked it, and have a cat K so will have a pullman from what I was told.. Just getting apprehensive and figuring I will be sleeping on it leaving my DM and DW on the twins....

So here are some more tips. I have sailed on the EX many times and most recently in inside cabins as a solo. Over the years I've had cabins on decks 6-10. I'm assuming you have the senior rate available for the cruise.

It's still before final payment, so it's likely that folks will give up rooms as final approaches. IMO the ideal location for you would be deck 7 aft as close to the elevators as possible. This will put your mother on the elevators that service all the food venues, the pool deck, and the ice show. If you look at the deck plans you will see that the handicapped cabins are almost all located by the aft elevators. The other reason for deck 7 is the availability of the Library area which is within steps of many K cabins - a good place for folks to escape to from the cabin. When I'm on deck 7, I think of it as my living room. My favorite cabin is 7433 because there is a door from the back of the library into the interior corridor. 7437, 7439, and 7341 are also great. Super quiet. And 7639, 7341, and 7343 are just fine as well.

So you need to check cabin availability every day to see if any of these K cabins become available. If so, put a 24 hold on the cabin immediately and call RCL to get yourself switched.

I am booked on deck 9 and yes its aft. Have only sailed once before so all a learning process, Thanks again for your help and yes got discounts, for CT for military, over 55...... will look for deck 7...

I've learned not to get emotionally attached to the first cabin I pick. On my first solo cruise I changed cabins 4-5 times chasing price drops. He who hesitates is lost - that's what the 24 hour holds are for.

If you can get close to the library, you will have a nice space close by as your retreat if the ladies need cabin privacy.

They say for if you are sea sick look at the horizon which requires an outside cabin. I think insides are too small for 3 people and too dark during the day which plays havoc with one's circadian rhythm. If an outside is available you might see if you can change to one.

I cruise with my mom, who is approaching 82, many times a year. This is the advice I can offer....

Get a cabin as close to the elevator as possible.

If your mom gets motion sickness in a car or elsewhere, then you need to be concerned she might get sea sick. Elderly are not as effected by motion in a great number. 99.9% if she isn't effected by motion on land she'll be fine on the cruise. I would be prepared with some meds... but a green apple will work wonders if she is having any trouble. The choice of an inside cabin or no has no real effect on motion sickness. The motion of the ship, the profile of the waves and the individual's inner ear are the factors.

If price is a concern, an inside is perfect. You spend very little time in the cabin. As the other poster said, showering in the spa is a perfect options. We did that on our first cruise (with 4 in an inside). If you can afford and want to upgrade than do so... but you will be fine in the inside. Be aware that it will be TIGHT. But if you are good sleeping in the upper pullman you will do okay.

Yes, take a book. I always take a book... I rarely read it, but my mom usually finishes a book on every cruise. There is a library on board... but don't expect to find anything you'd like to read.

Sail away from the Viking Crown Lounge is our favorite place. It is inside with spectacular views. But, she may want to be right there in the wind, at the rail for sail away!

We always plan a nap in the afternoon so we can stay up late.

We always eat in the dining room if it is open. We just like people to wait on us and not have to deal with the buffets. That is just a personal preference.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!! Mom and I love cruising. It is a perfect vacation for us... and we will be cruising (I hope) for years to come!!

Pullman bed was perfectly fine for my teen daughter not sure it would suit an adult male.

The ladders on the Rhapsody were flimsy and there wasnt much headspace when sitting up in bed on a pullman.

renjrusa, regarding the pullman, the length of the pullman berth is 76", and it has a maximum weight of 300 lbs. (The standard twin bed on board measures 78.5" x 33.5" x 6"). And just a suggestion, you may want to consider bringing along a battery-operated candle to add a bit of safety at night, should someone need to get up. It provides just the right amount of light, and still allows for sleep. Enjoy your cruise!

renjrusa, regarding the pullman, the length of the pullman berth is 76", and it has a maximum weight of 300 lbs. (The standard twin bed on board measures 78.5" x 33.5" x 6"). And just a suggestion, you may want to consider bringing along a battery-operated candle to add a bit of safety at night, should someone need to get up. It provides just the right amount of light, and still allows for sleep. Enjoy your cruise!

wow you hit that on the head. My mom brings along a night light even when she stays at my house, or we go away to a hotel... Is there a chair in the room too? I may be napping during the day not sure about the quality of sleep I am going to get..BTW am 6'1 210 maybe a good idea to lose 10lbs.....

If you do take an excursion that requires a good deal walking or going up or down stairs ,don't be afraid to speak up and ask for assistance or use of an elevator to help her get to where she is going safe and in good shape. My Mom had to turn around and get back to her cabin after becoming "winded" getting off the ship at a tendered port by having to walk down several flights of stairs..When brought to the attention of the staff they always there after announced the availability of an elevator for those who needed one.

wow you hit that on the head. My mom brings along a night light even when she stays at my house, or we go away to a hotel... Is there a chair in the room too? I may be napping during the day not sure about the quality of sleep I am going to get..BTW am 6'1 210 maybe a good idea to lose 10lbs.....

I brought a nite light on the Freedom in May, but none of the receptacles in the cabin would work for the nite light due to the shape (hard to explain!). Next cruise I will bring the battery candles. I was traveling with my adult daughter and the library was my "go to" location. Loved it.

I've learned not to get emotionally attached to the first cabin I pick. On my first solo cruise I changed cabins 4-5 times chasing price drops. He who hesitates is lost - that's what the 24 hour holds are for.

If you can get close to the library, you will have a nice space close by as your retreat if the ladies need cabin privacy.

Thanks for all the great advice just booked switched from deck 9 to 7647 near the library and also the elevators...:)