2 New NCL ships. Not the 200,000 ton rumored.

time2cruise1

MIAMI – July 14, 2014 – Norwegian Cruise Line (NASDAQ: NCLH) announced today that it has reached an agreement with MEYER WERFT GmbH of Germany to build two new Breakaway-Plus class cruise ships for delivery in the second quarter 2018 and the fourth quarter 2019. Each ship will be 164,600 gross tons and include 4,200 passenger berths.

I wonder which ships will go on the chopping block, or shipped off to other areas.

Between Royal's Oasis 3 and Quantum 3, plus these 2 ships, plus the Carnival Vista, things are going to get crowded unless some ships are retired. I realize some will go to EU (like Royal Anthem aka Quantum 2), but most new ships head to the US.

Geez.. Ncl may take over the indrustry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as they start hitting some new Caribbean ports!

This is so true. Almost left NCL for princess this upcoming spring break to avoid the three same islands I seem to keep visiting. I like the big ships for their entertainment value, but they negate that value by doing the same islands, cruise after cruise.

Didn't NCL once say that they hadn't broadened their itineraries because they only had 13 ships (at the time) and that as more ships came out they were planning to offer different itineraries?

Although, at this point, I see the same itineraries and more home ports.

Didn't NCL once say that they hadn't broadened their itineraries because they only had 13 ships (at the time) and that as more ships came out they were planning to offer different itineraries?

Although, at this point, I see the same itineraries and more home ports.

I fully expect to see the Dawn/Jewel class ships deployed to new itineraries including Australia. The mega ships remain limited by the ports that can handle them. No idea what NCL will do with 6 Breakaway/Breakaway+ ships. The Gem most likely will be gone from NYC.

I have to believe a new ship will head to China, maybe one home ported in the UK. Australia is another possibility.

China is where the money is, not the US Caribbean market. So like RCI, and Costa I think NCL will send tonnage to the arena.

As for the rumor of a future 200,000 ton ship......I think that still may happen. It will require Meyer Werft of fully take over the Turku yard from STK and then build their facility to support their construction process....that will take time.

Who would have thought NCL would get this financially healthy:cool:

I do not want to sail on those mega ships. Period. I would like some new itineraries though.

That’s what everybody was bemoaning back in 2002-2005 when all the panamax ships were being built (Jewel Class etc.). Nobody liked the giant ships and people spoke longingly of the smaller less crowded ships like the Wind, Dream, Majesty and Crown.

I have to believe a new ship will head to China, maybe one home ported in the UK. Australia is another possibility.

China is where the money is, not the US Caribbean market. So like RCI, and Costa I think NCL will send tonnage to the arena.

As for the rumor of a future 200,000 ton ship......I think that still may happen. It will require Meyer Werft of fully take over the Turku yard from STK and then build their facility to support their construction process....that will take time.

Who would have thought NCL would get this financially healthy:cool:

I may be wrong but I don't see NCL moving ships to Asia at this time. Let's not forget that NCL's sister company is Star Cruises and they already dominate the market over there. It doesn't make sense to me with Epic, Jade, and Spirit all based in Europe to add a 4th ship. I could see Australia, and a ship based year round on the West Coast as a possibility as well. Just please base one in Charleston NCL, even if it's just seasonal

I may be wrong but I don't see NCL moving ships to Asia at this time. Let's not forget that NCL's sister company is Star Cruises and they already dominate the market over there. It doesn't make sense to me with Epic, Jade, and Spirit all based in Europe to add a 4th ship. I could see Australia, and a ship based year round on the West Coast as a possibility as well. Just please base one in Charleston NCL, even if it's just seasonal

My wife and I were just talking about how nice it would be to do an Austrailia/New Zealand/Tasmania cruise at some point. Not sure if they could work S. Africa in there too on a longer cruise.

I guess I better start getting used to the big ships.

Not only do I hope for new ports, also longer itineraries is what I need if they want me on the new ships. We're just getting comfortable on the 7 day cruises and then we have to pack up and leave.

After our Panama Canal cruise this November, we're going to have to start looking at other cruise lines. If I have to see the same ports, the least I can do is allow myself to see different ships.

It doesn't make sense to me with Epic, Jade, and Spirit all based in Europe to add a 4th ship.

After next summer season only Epic will remain in Europe year-round, Jade will be in Houston and Spirit in Port Canaveral for winter season 2015/2016.

The order of these two ships has been what Meyer Werft has been waiting in order to proceed with the deal on Turku shipyard, hopefully they will announce that soon.

<tongue-in-cheek>

As a Finn I much rather see Germans owning the shipyard after Norwegians who pretty much destroyed Finnish shipbuilding industry back in Aker days and Koreans who tried very hard to finish the job but eventually had to sell what they can in order to survive themselves. ;)

</tongue-in-cheek>

I do not want to sail on those mega ships. Period. I would like some new itineraries though.

They DID in fact announce a few totally new itineraries a little while back - among them South America (2015/2016) and actually a full 2 weeks Norway cruise in June 2015 (plus also a 7 days Norway cruise).....

Edited by TrumpyNor

MIAMI – July 14, 2014 – Norwegian Cruise Line (NASDAQ: NCLH) announced today that it has reached an agreement with MEYER WERFT GmbH of Germany to build two new Breakaway-Plus class cruise ships for delivery in the second quarter 2018 and the fourth quarter 2019. Each ship will be 164,600 gross tons and include 4,200 passenger berths.

Wow. :D

You and I think exactly alike! :p Here's what I wrote on the other thread on this topic:

"You are likely right that the two Breakaway-plus builds are the rumored 200k ships. I'm tempted to think that Norwegian will continue to work larger and smaller ships in tandem, as they do in New York and in the Mediterranean. But given how much Norwegian is growing, I'm willing to make two audacious predictions:

1 Breakaway-Plus based on the West Coast to service the Mexican Riviera and Alaska. They could even throw in the odd 14-night itinerary to Hawaii given all the amenities aboard. Given Norwegian's addition of cruise tours in Alaska and given they send three ships there every year (Pearl, Jewel and Sun), it seems like the market would justify a big ship. Jewel could stay in LA and work in tandem doing Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera and Pacific Coastals.

1 Breakaway-Plus based in Australia. Everyone talks about how much this market is growing, and how better to make a splash than with some brand-new hardware? That's what RCI is doing by throwing Quantum at Shanghai, no?

Just some logical guesses or complete balderdash!? Only time will tell."

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

My wife and I were just talking about how nice it would be to do an Austrailia/New Zealand/Tasmania cruise at some point. Not sure if they could work S. Africa in there too on a longer cruise.

Our first cruise in 2010 was on the NCL Gem and we later did two more cruises out of Barcelona with NCL.

However, NCL's itineraries were really narrow.

We found Celebrity and it has a wide range of itineraries.

British Isles (now NCL has a BI cruise)

Black Sea

South America (now the Sun is going back to SA)

Australia/NZ

Asia

We have done cruises on Celebrity to the British Isles, Black Sea (before Russia took Crimea), two to South America, including around the Horn, and one to Australia.

We have a Singapore to Dubai cruise and an Around Japan cruise booked on Celebrity for next year.

Still, we are on the Star for B2B cruises Sept/Oct, but NCL seriously needs to expand its range.

They DID in fact announce a few totally new itineraries a little while back - among them South America (2015/2016) and actually a full 2 weeks Norway cruise in June 2015 (plus also a 7 days Norway cruise).....

And they added a 12-night British Isles cruise (on which I'm booked); a 17-night San Diego to Santiago cruise; new port variations on the southern Caribbean routes; expanded Mexican Riviera offerings, etc. Lots of new stuff for folks to choose from. :p