2 New NCL ships. Not the 200,000 ton rumored.

time2cruise1

I may be wrong but I don't see NCL moving ships to Asia at this time. Let's not forget that NCL's sister company is Star Cruises and they already dominate the market over there. It doesn't make sense to me with Epic, Jade, and Spirit all based in Europe to add a 4th ship.

Genting has already sold most of their stake in NCL, and it's highly likely they'll sell the rest in the near future. It's been years since they were the majority shareholder and held control of the board of directors. If Genting ownership and control was keeping NCL from competing in Asia, that restriction should be gone by the time these new ships come online.

Epic will be the only ship left in Europe by the start of 2016. Jade is going to Houston and Spirit is going to Port Canaveral.

Well, at least you admit that you might have been wrong :p

Genting has already sold most of their stake in NCL, and it's highly likely they'll sell the rest in the near future. It's been years since they were the majority shareholder and held control of the board of directors. If Genting ownership and control was keeping NCL from competing in Asia, that restriction should be gone by the time these new ships come online.

Epic will be the only ship left in Europe by the start of 2016. Jade is going to Houston and Spirit is going to Port Canaveral.

Well, at least you admit that you might have been wrong :p

They are still the largest shareholders per Yahoo Finance. Genting Group-43.4%, Apollo Management-32.5%, and TPG Capital 10.8%. To this day, the very back cover of NCL brochures have the Genting Group/Star Cruises logo on it.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

They are still the largest shareholders per Yahoo Finance. Genting Group-43.4%, Apollo Management-32.5%, and TPG Capital 10.8%. To this day, the very back cover of NCL brochures have the Genting Group/Star Cruises logo on it.

You're wrong.

Please read: http://www.tradewindsnews.com/weekly/336877/largest-ncl-shareholder-paves-way-for-188bn-sale

A majority shareholder is not the largest shareholder. The definition applies only to entities that own more than 50% of all shares. Genting hasn't been in that position since 2007.

Edited by barnacle_boy

You're wrong.

Please read: http://www.tradewindsnews.com/weekly/336877/largest-ncl-shareholder-paves-way-for-188bn-sale

A majority shareholder is not the largest shareholder. The definition applies only to entities that own more than 50% of all shares. Genting hasn't been in that position since 2007.

Just found this article from Malaysia thats says they are still the largest, but your right seems they are gearing up to sell the rest of their shares. Couldn't read your article as Im not a subscriber.

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/highlights/278655-highlight-genting-hk-to-sell-entire-rm7-bln-stake-in-norwegian-cruise-line.html

Unfortunately according to Meyer, these orders don't have anything to do with the Turku shipyard deal. So let's keep hoping there are other deal coming, i.e. from TUI.

The order of these two ships has been what Meyer Werft has been waiting in order to proceed with the deal on Turku shipyard, hopefully they will announce that soon.

<tongue-in-cheek>

As a Finn I much rather see Germans owning the shipyard after Norwegians who pretty much destroyed Finnish shipbuilding industry back in Aker days and Koreans who tried very hard to finish the job but eventually had to sell what they can in order to survive themselves. ;)

</tongue-in-cheek>

We are part of the group that doesn't like, nor sails on the mega ships. We (husband, sister, her husband, and myself) prefer the Jewel class/size ships. We sail out of New Orleans for the most part, and mega ships will never be able to sail out of there.

One thing I see a problem with, is most of the ports in the Caribbean and some of Europe, can't handle the mega ships... so I see either a lot more tendering for these ships or a much smaller variety in itinerary. Leaving many of the smaller island open for the smaller ships.

That’s what everybody was bemoaning back in 2002-2005 when all the panamax ships were being built (Jewel Class etc.). Nobody liked the giant ships and people spoke longingly of the smaller less crowded ships like the Wind, Dream, Majesty and Crown.

They can bring one of them back too. At least they fit through the cut in Bermuda. Jewel class is big enough for me-----bigger is not better at all.

Just change up the U.S. Itineraries--------Western Caribbean--------BORING!!!!!!!

We are part of the group that doesn't like, nor sails on the mega ships. We (husband, sister, her husband, and myself) prefer the Jewel class/size ships. We sail out of New Orleans for the most part, and mega ships will never be able to sail out of there.

One thing I see a problem with, is most of the ports in the Caribbean and some of Europe, can't handle the mega ships... so I see either a lot more tendering for these ships or a much smaller variety in itinerary. Leaving many of the smaller island open for the smaller ships.

I don't understand the need some people feel to tell others why they'll never sail on megaships on these threads about new orders.

Stick to the ships you like. NCL isn't selling the Jewel Class anytime soon.

BTW, here's some perspective for you, the Jewel and Dawn Classes were the megaships of the past. Many passengers voiced similar concerns about them being too big. It's a never ending cycle: Ships increase in size, passengers complain about it, and then they finally come to enjoy it. The small minority who doesn't literally get onboard is just that. NCL has no incentive to keep them when many more new passengers can be tempted by larger ships with more amenities.

Ports have been undertaking expansion projects to handle larger passenger ships before the cruise industry even existed. Ports will dredge their harbors and lengthen piers as a means of survival if enough large ships enter the market and displace smaller ships. There's no reason to believe that centuries old dynamic is somehow going to change anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't understand the need some people feel to tell others why they'll never sail on megaships on these threads about new orders.

Stick to the ships you like. NCL isn't selling the Jewel Class anytime soon.

BTW, here's some perspective for you, the Jewel and Dawn Classes were the megaships of the past. Many passengers voiced similar concerns about them being too big. It's a never ending cycle: Ships increase in size, passengers complain about it, and then they finally come to enjoy it. The small minority who doesn't literally get onboard is just that. NCL has no incentive to keep them when many more new passengers can be tempted by larger ships with more amenities.

Ports have been undertaking expansion projects to handle larger passenger ships before the cruise industry even existed. Ports will dredge their harbors and lengthen piers as a means of survival if enough large ships enter the market and displace smaller ships. There's no reason to believe that centuries old dynamic is somehow going to change anytime soon.

Well said. :D

Just like formal nights, some will remain but the cruise companies will be vying for ever decreasing numbers in that sector.

I like the big ships but also still will sail on ships like Spirit whilst they last.

I may be wrong but I don't see NCL moving ships to Asia at this time. Let's not forget that NCL's sister company is Star Cruises and they already dominate the market over there. It doesn't make sense to me with Epic, Jade, and Spirit all based in Europe to add a 4th ship. I could see Australia, and a ship based year round on the West Coast as a possibility as well. Just please base one in Charleston NCL, even if it's just seasonal

Charleston doesn't have the infrastructure to support another ship until they stop fighting about the proposed terminals and actually build them. Until then, one boat is all they can handle, and Carnival has the seniority there. I would LOOOOVE for them to get another, though. Easiest cruise I've taken so far to just leave the house at 8am and park the car at the terminal.

To me, NCL's expansion proves that Freestyle Cruising works. It's a great model and NCL does a great job with it. I don't see much expansion for the providers that at sticking to the old models. Forced dress-up, assigned tables and restaurants does not seem to be working. The next ten years in cruising, like the past ten years, are going to be fun to watch. You already see other lines trying to copy NCL.

Charleston doesn't have the infrastructure to support another ship until they stop fighting about the proposed terminals and actually build them. Until then, one boat is all they can handle, and Carnival has the seniority there. I would LOOOOVE for them to get another, though. Easiest cruise I've taken so far to just leave the house at 8am and park the car at the terminal.

Agreed, the Union Pier Terminal is long overdue. I wasn't cruising NCL back in the early to mid 2000's when they had a ship based in Charleston. My Fantasy cruise from Charleston was one of my last Carnival cruises before jumping ship to NCL. Your right even from the Upstate its a 3 hour drive to Charleston, very easy and convenient. I heard that the port authority actually won their lawsuit so maybe we will get some progress going...or sadly not, as Im sure all those historical societies will have this thing tied up in appeal's court for years.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

To me, NCL's expansion proves that Freestyle Cruising works. It's a great model and NCL does a great job with it. I don't see much expansion for the providers that at sticking to the old models. Forced dress-up, assigned tables and restaurants does not seem to be working. The next ten years in cruising, like the past ten years, are going to be fun to watch. You already see other lines trying to copy NCL.

Freestyle does work.

However, don't assume that other models are not working as well. We cruise on both NCL and Celebrity. Celebrity has the 3 formal nights (coat and tie) out of 14 nights and the option of assigned dining. It has the option of select dining, which is very similar to freestyle.

We first cruised on NCL, but wanted to cruise to South America, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, British Isles, Black Sea and India. NCL offered none of these cruises. NCL now offers British Isles and South America, but is still not serving the rest of the World.

NCL has great specialty restaurants, but the MDR suffers compared to Celebrity.

We still go with NCL when the right itinerary with the right price comes along, but still enjoy Celebrity. Our next cruises with Celebrity are from Singapore to Dubai and Around Japan.

Agreed, the Union Pier Terminal is long overdue. I wasn't cruising NCL back in the early to mid 2000's when they had a ship based in Charleston. My Fantasy cruise from Charleston was one of my last Carnival cruises before jumping ship to NCL. Your right even from the Upstate its a 3 hour drive to Charleston, very easy and convenient. I heard that the port authority actually won their lawsuit so maybe we will get some progress going...or sadly not as Im sure all those historical societies with have this thing tied up in appeal court for years.

As old and run down as the whole thing is in Charleston, I gotta say it was every bit as efficient as I found the Port of Tampa to be when I cruised out of there. Just takes a little longer with the shuttle from parking areas, but that was still relatively painless. Just no way they could do another ship from there without the new terminal. Staggering the days in port there wouldn't even work as is because of parking. Here's hoping they get moving soon!

You know I read all the speculation of where the ships will wind up and while some people think down under I respectfully disagree(but may be wrong).

Australia has a population of about 22.5 million. Slightly larger than NY State and smaller than Canada. Its expensive to both live there and to fly there. and its a long flight. The cruisers who go there tend to be older(long cruises too) and not NCL's type. but we will see.

You know I read all the speculation of where the ships will wind up and while some people think down under I respectfully disagree(but may be wrong).

Australia has a population of about 22.5 million. Slightly larger than NY State and smaller than Canada. Its expensive to both live there and to fly there. and its a long flight. The cruisers who go there tend to be older(long cruises too) and not NCL's type. but we will see.

Carnival has a ship down under, i guess maybe NCL wants to try to compete with Carnival in that market

Carnival has a ship down under, i guess maybe NCL wants to try to compete with Carnival in that market

In a sense Carnival Cruise Lines doesn't. The Carnival Spirit was transferred to Carnival Australia and is run exclusively by Carnival Australia. If you go to Carnival's own website, you will see the Spirit isn't even listed, nor is Australia even an option to book a cruise.

I suppose most have already forgotten about NCL's brief foray into the Australian market. Before being purchased by Genting, NCL had a partnership in Australia between 1997 and 2000. Known as Norwegian Capricorn Line, the company failed miserably. The market there has changed since then, but positioning a megaship in Australia runs counter to the "Homeland Cruising" strategy NCL has been using for over a decade. Possible, sure, but highly unlikely.

I suppose most have already forgotten about NCL's brief foray into the Australian market. Before being purchased by Genting, NCL had a partnership in Australia between 1997 and 2000. Known as Norwegian Capricorn Line, the company failed miserably. The market there has changed since then, but positioning a megaship in Australia runs counter to the "Homeland Cruising" strategy NCL has been using for over a decade. Possible, sure, but highly unlikely.

Keep in mind they send the original Star the worst ship in the fleet. They could not keep in running in Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Keep in mind they send the original Star the worst ship in the fleet. They could not keep in running in Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

P&O Australia is a dumping ground for Carnival Corps. oldest and most unwanted tonnage. There's no difference between that and Norwegian Capricorn with the old Star. P&O Australia thrived because they had better management and a better understanding of the market. It had little or nothing to do with the ship.

I prefer the formal nights, and i CRINGE when I go to the main dining room and someone is wearing a ball cap. My dad would have taken my head off removing the cap. I find that the price point on a NCL cruise is in most cases a thousand less then the same cruise on the same sized RCI

ship. The market is telling me that larger ships command a higher fare.

Edited by putercents