Will there be a chocolate fountain?

Jo and Rob

Does that concern you more than breathing?:confused:

Not sure what your point is. I am always concerned about my health, but am not obsessed with it. I would expect most people feel the same way. If you aren't, then that is your right.

And as to breathing, I prefer Celebrity in part because I do not have to be concerned about breathing second hand smoke in most of the ship's areas, including balconies. I see nothing confusing about that.

Typically, oil is not added. The chocolate used in these fountains is a special chocolate with a higher cocoa butter content than regular chocolate, It is called "couverture" chocolate. The extra cocoa butter allows it to flow at warm temperatures. However, the chocolate must be melted first before adding it to the fountain.

See this website for more info: http://www.thechocolateguy.com/faq.htm

My wife's sister used to work at a catering company. She is my "go-to expert" on catered foods. What I wrote here is what she told me. The linked website backs her up.

I don't doubt that the manufactures don't recommend plain chocolate + vegetable oil and I'm glad your sister-in-law's place did it right, but I used to work at many events with chocolate fountains and there was always a bottle of soybean or canola oil involved.

I've been reading the thread about brunch disappearing and I must admit it was more a visual event than a gastronomic one.

However, my children loved the chocolate fountains at the brunch and I wondered if they still use them at some point during the cruise. We sail Infinity this week!!

On our recent cruise on board Silhouette (22 June) the chocolate fountain was used in Oceanview on the final sea day. Great buffet selection too.

We never touch a chocolate fountain,

First the chocolate is probably not real chocolate, as real chocolate will not flow like that , they have add a lot of oil to make it flow

Then just the sanitary reasons, people sticking their fingers in it :eek:

Totally agree!!!! Won't touch them and it is a chocolate flavored syrup. very unhealthy

The chocolate in chocolate fountains is not warmed to liquid on it's own, it would be too hot. It is pumped full of vegetable oil to get it to flow at a lower melting point.

It appears to be more like a chocolate syrup that is used to make chocolate milk or pour over ice cream.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were fast going off the brunch so the fact that the chocolate fountain will be in the buffet one time is great. Will it be advertised or is it just pot luck if we happen to go on the right day? I'm not a buffet fan and would eat in the MDR every lunch if it was open!

Not sure what your point is. I am always concerned about my health, but am not obsessed with it. I would expect most people feel the same way. If you aren't, then that is your right.

My point is these microbes, lint and all the other things you mentioned don't just hover in a sphere over the chocolate fountain, they are airborn particles that you are inhaling througout the ship. You don't avoid these things by avoiding the death trap known as the chocolate fountain. Sticking fingers in and double dipping is a different story.

My point is these microbes, lint and all the other things you mentioned don't just hover in a sphere over the chocolate fountain, they are airborn particles that you are inhaling througout the ship. You don't avoid these things by avoiding the death trap known as the chocolate fountain. Sticking fingers in and double dipping is a different story.

The issue doesn't really matter that much to me since I am not that great a fan of chocolate, however considering how rapidly bacteria can grow at temperatures below 140F I would avoid those displays.

It's not the few random bacteria floating around in the air that would worry me it would be more of what those few germs can grow to in the several hours they are multiplying in the chocolate petri dish.

Following link shows a typical bacterial growth timeline.

http://extension.missouri.edu/fnep/bacterialgrowth.pdf

OMO

bosco

We were fast going off the brunch so the fact that the chocolate fountain will be in the buffet one time is great. Will it be advertised or is it just pot luck if we happen to go on the right day? I'm not a buffet fan and would eat in the MDR every lunch if it was open!

as per earlier post, on infinity believe this was last sea day. not advertised as anything special, was just in the desert area

We never touch a chocolate fountain,

First the chocolate is probably not real chocolate, as real chocolate will not flow like that , they have add a lot of oil to make it flow

Then just the sanitary reasons, people sticking their fingers in it :eek:

Glad you said it first, lol, not that I wanted to rain on the OP's parade.

Double dippers scare me around these things.