How much discretion do butlers have?

asand5554

We will be on our 12th cruise, 3rd in a suite, on the dawn in October. We have not had great luck with butlers, including our last cruise when the butler told us we would have to pay for cheese and crackers. It got me wondering about what we are doing wrong - I am so envious of those threads I read where people describe the attention their butlers pay to them, knowing their preferences, practically reading their minds, etc. We are not demanding, and go out of our way to be respectful of the butler's time and obligation to service all the passengers they are assigned to. Would it help to tip all or part of what we plan (usually $150 for 7 day cruise) at the start? Does it matter that we are in the lowest category (SJ) of the full suites? How much of what the butler does for their passengers is dictated by their job description, and how much discretion do they have?

Margi

Without knowing what sort of "discretion" you are asking about, it is hard to answer.

Something in particular?

By the way, as the the cheese and cracker plate that they sell for $20 - we had to pay for that in a SC recently.

I would gladly have traded him 2-3 plates of chocolates..

I usually have a nice chat with the butler on the 1st day of the cruise and tip him/her about $200 rightaway. While many may not agree .... I think it does wonders to the service you get!

The fridge is always rightly stocked, the fruit is immediately replaced on consumption, there are goodies in your room 2-3 times a day and much much more!

If you order a cheese platter you do have to pay for it if he/she is getting it from the kitchen. But a motivated and well tipped butler will go to either the garden café and pick up your cheese or go to Cagneys (where u have suite breakfast) and pickup cheese from there.

Do you sometimes feel like eating an appetizer from Le Bistro, main course from Cagneys and dessert from Teppanyaki. Well a motivated butler can make that happen in the privacy of your room and you pay for only 1 speciality dining and I have done that numerous times.

I have had my butler hold my preferred seats at shows if I am somewhat delayed. That is absolutely priceless.

So yeah tipping in advance makes sense.

Without knowing what sort of "discretion" you are asking about, it is hard to answer.

Something in particular?

By the way, as the the cheese and cracker plate that they sell for $20 - we had to pay for that in a SC recently.

I would gladly have traded him 2-3 plates of chocolates..

I realize that there is a cheese and cracker platter available for purchase, but I also understand that a "motivated" butler (another poster's term, not mine) can and will, with a little extra effort, get you what you want (ie, going to the buffet and making up a cheese and cracker tray).

Perhaps this is a case of cruisers who have off the chart experiences (either positive or negative) are the ones who post about their experiences with the majority having experiences similar to ours - not anything to "write home" - or online - about.:rolleyes:

I realize that there is a cheese and cracker platter available for purchase, but I also understand that a "motivated" butler (another poster's term, not mine) can and will, with a little extra effort, get you what you want (ie, going to the buffet and making up a cheese and cracker tray).

Perhaps this is a case of cruisers who have off the chart experiences (either positive or negative) are the ones who post about their experiences with the majority having experiences similar to ours - not anything to "write home" - or online - about.:rolleyes:

The first few cruises I went on I tipped at the end of the cruise. Service was average. Since then I have tipped at the start of the cruise (I tip at the start the exact same amount that I would normally tip at the end) .... the service has been phenomenal. Try it on your next cruise you will be shocked.

Coming back to the cheese .... once I had a craving for sharp cheddar cheese .... and it wasn't available on the cheese platter or in the dining areas. But the butler still found some for me. He told me he raided the cheese platter they were going to serve at a wedding on the next weeks cruise.

Any other experiences with pre-paying versus post-paying tips for the butler?

I would think that if you're getting a lousy butler, he would just pocket the tips up front and still be a lousy butler, assuming that he's already made his money off of you and there is no incentive for him to "work hard". If you have a good butler, then he/she would be a good butler no matter whether you pre-paid the tips or not.

I think it really depends on the butler. On our last cruise my husband tipped the Butler $20 on the first day when we met him. When he came back with the pillows we requested, he received another $20. The next morning when we had breakfast delivered hubby gave him another $20. That day, he delivered a movie that I asked for and we tipped him again. After that, we didn't order any breakfasts or food delivered to the cabin, and we never saw the butler again. So, he did what we asked of him, but really didn't go out of his way to see if there was anything else we wanted. He must have learned our schedule, because our nightly treats were delivered, but we never saw him.

Any other experiences with pre-paying versus post-paying tips for the butler?

I would think that if you're getting a lousy butler, he would just pocket the tips up front and still be a lousy butler, assuming that he's already made his money off of you and there is no incentive for him to "work hard". If you have a good butler, then he/she would be a good butler no matter whether you pre-paid the tips or not.

I agree. I don't prepay. However, I may tip as I go for things I ask for and not necessarily wait until the end of the trip

The first few cruises I went on I tipped at the end of the cruise. Service was average. Since then I have tipped at the start of the cruise (I tip at the start the exact same amount that I would normally tip at the end) .... the service has been phenomenal. Try it on your next cruise you will be shocked.

If you have to "essentially" bribe the butler in order to receive superior service, he is in the wrong profession or you are on the wrong cruise line. We have never offered an upfront tip for any cruise staff (room attendants etc.) and have almost always received fantastic service. What will you do if, after tipping the butler in advance) his service turns out to be subpar? Demand a refund?:confused:

...I have had my butler hold my preferred seats at shows if I am somewhat delayed. ..

So that answers the mystery of someone that said they had trouble getting ice from a butler on a recent cruise. He was down at the showroom. LOL!

We've never tipped in advance and have always received excellent service. Everything we've asked for has been delivered, extras as a surprise and invisible when not needed. Our butlers have never had anything to do with seating at shows, that is the Concierges area. We've had one less than stellar concierge, but always amazing butlers. Tipping in advance always seemed to me to defeat the purpose of the tip. If I ever felt I had to tip the butler in advance for excellent service, I would be having a discussion with the Concierge or HD.

A good butler provides exceptional service in anticipation of being rewarded for it, paying in advance sort of takes away the incentive IMHO. To each his/her own.

If you have to "essentially" bribe the butler in order to receive superior service, he is in the wrong profession or you are on the wrong cruise line. We have never offered an upfront tip for any cruise staff (room attendants etc.) and have almost always received fantastic service. What will you do if, after tipping the butler in advance) his service turns out to be subpar? Demand a refund?:confused:

Tip is essentially a bribe/fee you pay to get superior service and paying it in advance or later doesn't change its definition .... paying in advance simply shows the butler that he is definitely going to be paid and he/she will attend to your issues immediately .... if a butler received 2 requests at about the same time, I am pretty sure the guy who pretipped probably gets attended to 1st ... its just human nature.

That said you cant obviously demand a refund if your service was bad when you prepaid .... but the butlers know you will remember them on future cruises and I think that is a motivating factor. There are only a limited number of butlers on the entire line and I have seem many of them several times and I know that they speak with each other about passengers. I have had butlers come up to me 10 years later saying they remember me from a certain sailing 10 years ago .... A advance tip always remains in ppl's memory since they are not as rushed! Try it!

Infact there is a post here about John D'souza ... he is a concierge on Dawn I think .... I first met him when he was a butler and years later met him again when he was concierge, I totally forgot about it. But he remembered.

There are countless butler threads. Since butlers work on tips and some cruise with big bucks I am always surprised to hear bad butler stories. I think people have misconceptions what a butler's role is. If a platter of cheese and crackers is to have a charge, please don't take it out on the butler. He is only following policy. Take it up with the restaurant manager or hotel manager. That does not indicate in any way the butler is lazy or provides bad service.

One time on Epic a guy in an owners suite was trying to get his bottle of sparking wine traded in for something else. The butler said he could not do it. The guy worked his way up to the concierge and they still said no. I was in the Epic lounge listening to this guy tell the bartender he had to work his way to hotel director before they decided to trade bottles. Some would blame the butler for not switching but it was apparent the butler was not allowed to do this.

An example of bad service would be ordering dinner inside your cabin and it was never delivered. A butler will honor your request in delivering just about anything you want but if it requires a charge, you must pay the charge.

This is not overly complicated. On the first day meet with your butler and ask or request what you want delivered and at what times, etc. This should work. This is not aimed at the OP but I sometimes think some passengers think butlers are personal servants assigned to them only. I have heard some ridiculous requests to butlers. Some butlers will be proactive and can be intrusive. Some don't like to constantly be bombarded with door bells ringing so some butlers keep their distance as to not intrude so much.

Edited by david_sobe

I've never tipped the Butler other than at the end of the cruise. In the beginning of the cruise, I give him a list (which is very small) of the things I would like. I've never had them tell me that I had to pay for any treats; maybe next time, just ask for some cheese and crackers and don't mention the platter. I travel in the lowly SF (aft penthouse, can't get any lower on the suite scale) and have always been treated wonderful by the butlers that I've had. Other than the afternoon snacks, which I decline, I believe just about everything else is based on the passenger's requests.

Infact there is a post here about John D'souza ... he is a concierge on Dawn I think .... I first met him when he was a butler and years later met him again when he was concierge, I totally forgot about it. But he remembered.

John was our butler on the Star just before he was promoted. He happened to see us struggling with a wheelchair in Puerto Vallarta, out on the street. I didn't even recognize him in his civvies! He came rushing over to help us.

Great guy! So happy for his success.

John was our butler on the Star just before he was promoted. He happened to see us struggling with a wheelchair in Puerto Vallarta, out on the street. I didn't even recognize him in his civvies! He came rushing over to help us.

Great guy! So happy for his success.

I totally agree about John. He was our very first butler when we were on the Star. The level of service we got was amazing and it set the bar for all butlers we have had since.

We were in the GV and I asked if he knew how the BBC's were made. He not only went to the bar to find out he brought back a blender for us to use during our cruise. :)

Our Star cruise was amazing our first suite and ... John was the butler and Simone was our Concierge. Does anyone out there remember Simone??

The last time we sailed with him he was the Concierge on the Jewel. I would sail on a ship just because John was the Concierge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ImADaneFan

Our last cruise I let our butler know my dad - in adjoining suite, likes cheese and crackers before dinner. We'd had this butler before and he remembered my hubby devours fruit so brought us fruit plate, cheese and crackers plate for us as well as my dad's suite, in addition to the usual afternoon snacks. Only one example of many little things he did without us asking. Best butler!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

There are countless butler threads. Since butlers work on tips and some cruise with big bucks I am always surprised to hear bad butler stories. I think people have misconceptions what a butler's role is. If a platter of cheese and crackers is to have a charge, please don't take it out on the butler. He is only following policy. Take it up with the restaurant manager or hotel manager. That does not indicate in any way the butler is lazy or provides bad service.

One time on Epic a guy in an owners suite was trying to get his bottle of sparking wine traded in for something else. The butler said he could not do it. The guy worked his way up to the concierge and they still said no. I was in the Epic lounge listening to this guy tell the bartender he had to work his way to hotel director before they decided to trade bottles. Some would blame the butler for not switching but it was apparent the butler was not allowed to do this.

An example of bad service would be ordering dinner inside your cabin and it was never delivered. A butler will honor your request in delivering just about anything you want but if it requires a charge, you must pay the charge.

This is not overly complicated. On the first day meet with your butler and ask or request what you want delivered and at what times, etc. This should work. This is not aimed at the OP but I sometimes think some passengers think butlers are personal servants assigned to them only. I have heard some ridiculous requests to butlers. Some butlers will be proactive and can be intrusive. Some don't like to constantly be bombarded with door bells ringing so some butlers keep their distance as to not intrude so much.

I am not misinterpreting the butler's role and completely understand, nor would I expect that he or she would provide something that was not allowed. However, I'm sure you have also read numerous posts where people talk about having bowls of gummy bears, "plates" of assorted cheeses, and stacks of sandwiches delivered to their suites. We love iced coffee, and asked our butler on the first day if we could get a pitcher of coffee to put in our refrigerator. After multiple requests, we gave up and ordered extra coffee from room service. On another occasion, my husband requested a brownie sundae (which was available to suite guests for lunch at Cagney's) and he was told that he couldn't get it.

Did these things spoil my vacation? Certainly not. Do I think that we may have been treated differently had we been in the garden villa or other higher level suite? Possibly. I know that there are differences in the ammenities received based upon the level of suite you are in, but the service you receive from your butler isn't one of them.

It's been more than three months - so I hope I have the details... On the Jewel we had a cabin crawl. I purchased a bottle of 1800 to serve to the 'crawlers' and mentioned it to our butler on day one. He was very interested in the timing and logistics. I kept him informed. When the crawl started - about three of the rooms had hors d'oeuvres out - all the suites, save one. however our suite had chicken wings, sandwiches, and a cheese and fruit plate. That is service. There was no charge and I kicked him an 'extra' $100 at the end of the week (I am trying to be accurate but I think I gave him $300, total).

Edited by Chuck2810
typo

We were in a penthouse suite on the Star and had a great butler experience. He kept the espresso supply filled (not easy since my husband adores the stuff) . I planned a sail away party for Cozumel, which was our last port. The butler brought cheese, sandwiches, fruit and cookies. He asked if I wanted wine and I said no, I didn't need any. The day of the party, he brought two bottles, as "it wouldn't be a party without it". There was no charge to me, as he said they each have an account to use as they like. Needless to say, his tip did increase!