Trying to get on CC Boards ~ Let's talk about it!

I never leave my CC window open. Makes no sense because I'd only have to refresh to see what's new. But I do have easy access on my toolbar.

I think Joy (Camel) just hasn't been on long enough to have experienced the problems. When it works, it works great and when it doesn't ...:eek: !! It has nothing to do with how you access CC ... it's on CC's end. I have a cable modem as well and have no problems with any other website.

I agree the old trick with boards1 and boards2 isn't working. I emailed LauraS as well and she told me she was going to get "on" the webmaster. That was a couple of weeks ago. They may be playing with it, but it's not working and it's important they know that.

The blank page is completely new and it happens so fast you have no time to do a quick "copy" in order to save what you're written. I don't always remember to do that.

I've noticed no special time that it's worse. Right now it's working fine, but 20 minutes ago it wasn't ... then 20 minutes from now it may not again. It's very haphazard.

I'm sure they're trying, and I'm no techie, but there must be a way to allow for so many members ... additional servers perhaps. As I say, I know nothing about this stuff:o .

But it sure is helping me with my "addiction"!!! I've got my usage by at least 75%!!!!

I confess I'm guilty of leaving CC open on my computer when I'm away and doing something else. I truthfully did not know it created/added to a problem. Lots of times, the last thing I do before I go off to do a chore around the house or am leaving the house is to 'check the board' and then I leave the page open.

I'll try to be careful not to do that in the future.

I've had all of the above problems in the past...worse the past few days.

Today I was trying to reply to a post and when I hit the "reply" icon it completley locked up my computer. I had to "ALT-CTL-DEL" to get any response at all. This happened 3 times! VERY frustrating!:(

I just hope they can get this worked out.

...and that is not a joke, but I am very relieved to find out it's the system. I can only access the net through dial-up so it takes a lot of patience on a good day. Mt DH is amazed at how I can do three games of Free Cell between downloads etc. Several posts were lost which was frustrating as I compose, edit and rethink lines as I go along. Too tired to redo.

I hadn't thought about keeping CC up all the time, not a good idea to start now.

Blessings,

Gail

Dave, I'm quoting you in my reply because I trust your answers on this type of thing. Someone above mentioned that people leaving their computers signed in to cc will contribute in jamming up the system. Of this, I am very guilty and I had no idea that I could be causing a problem for other people.

Can you just give me a quickie techie answer on this. Should I sign off? Close my cc window? Will it make a difference to other people? I'm assuming I'm not the only one doing this and maybe it could make a difference. susana.

While remaining signed in with a window open does take an infinitesimal amount of resources, even if all the members signed in it shouldn't make the system stop responding. Unless they all tried to post a message at the same time!

-dave

If you're having a problem, too, how about posting it here so that CC will be aware that this is no small problem or limited geograpic area.

I've been having tons of problems, but I notice they are related to the time of day. Clearly, the servers are overloaded during certain periods and simply will not let anyone else in.

If I access the boards in the late afternoon/early evening ... forget it. If I access them in the morning, I am often successful. But, if I go onto them while I am at work ... between midnight and 8:00 a.m., I have virtually no problems whatsoever.

Hate to say it, but short of ordering more powerful servers, getting more allocated bandwidth ... which both costs $$$$ ... the problems are only gonna get worse. Let's face it ... there are probably new people jumping on the website everyday ... as word gets out and more people decide to have a look/see ... and that fact alone is gonna slow down the boards. Since these boards are free for our use, I assume the ownership is limited in terms of how much they can spend for improved server performance. Short of charging a fee for membership and usage of the boards, or charging advertisers a lot more to advertise on them ... I don't see CC having a lot of extra bucks available to improve the boards' reliability ... and the problem will continue to be something that we will just have to deal with. If you can't get on ... then surf to another site and come back later.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I kind of feel bad that I am not having any problems while so many of you are! I have AOL with a dial up modem and get onto the site immediately...Oh well, maybe my turn is coming!!...........jean :cool:

Nothing to feel bad about. It's the luck of the draw. You obviously get on before the servers get overloaded. It's only those folks trying to get on while a bunch of other people are on that have a problem.

I don't get bothered by it ... I just go onto something else and then try back at CC later.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have experienced the blank done page everyday this week. Sometimes it works great, but just as frequently it is pretty bad. Then you get the darn thing going away when you post. That is a real irratant. Of course, Heather told me to copy my post, but I am too impatient to do this everytime, and inevitably when it goes poopsy, it is when I posted some extremely well-thought out and executed post. Which, of course, I don't redo, because genius is a sometimes thing. So if I appear to be a moron just know the genius posts went into the internet void! :D ;)

jc

Me too - same troubles. :(

Does anyone want to suggest a different site to visit during the non-CC board times? Sometimes I surf the various port sites - I should be doing my homework on my upcoming cruise, so this is productive for me. Occasionally I find an interesting site. This is what I am trying to get the courage to do on our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise: http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/tour.htm

"...inevitably when it goes poopsy, it is when I posted some extremely well-thought out and executed post. Which, of course, I don't redo, because genius is a sometimes thing. So if I appear to be a moron just know the genius posts went into the internet void!"

Works for me!!:)

Blessings,

Gail

I have trouble accessing all times of day either via cable modem or T-1 line... this has been increasingly worse the past few days, but have noticed the system slower for about 2 weeks.

Today seems to be much better though. :)

[color=blue]We're on dial up and also have the same problems "white screen with done at bottom" during peak EDT hours..My ISP often cuts me off in the middle of doing something & they claim it's my modem.. Have updated my modem but still no luck..Often do my posts in "Word" first & copy & paste to CC before I get cut off..[/color]

[color=blue]My friend & I often play Yahoo games "scrabble" & we have had the same problems on that sight..Or we could be in the middle of a game when I get cut off..Very frustrating!..[/color]
[color=blue][/color]
[color=blue]My DH wants to change to Cable, but looks like some cable users are having the same problem..Wonder if it's due to so many people in cyber space & technology has not caught up yet..Does anyone remember the old "party line system"? [/color]

[color=blue]I'm sure Laura is pulling her hair out, so guess we just have to be patient..I enjoy this site & would not like to see anything happen to it..[/color]
[color=blue][/color]
[color=blue]Happy cruising everyone & have a wonderful day!:)[/color]

When I first joined here, I had problems with all the differant eye candy offered on this board. I've had very few problems once I figured out all my settings on this board. I'm on dailup, using XPH and Mozilla 1.7.11 as my browser.

I only use the basic text editor and have everything off except for pictures. Only thing on is java-script, Java is disabled. I also use my Hosts file.

[quote name='dakrewser']While remaining signed in with a window open does take an infinitesimal amount of resources, even if all the members signed in it shouldn't make the system stop responding. Unless they all tried to post a message at the same time!
-dave[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Dave. I feel better now. s.

There probably is hundreds of thousands of CC users with the variuos pages. I remember when I first subscribed, you had to have AOL as your provider to even get on CC boards....of course that was several years ago...........jean :cool:

Don't know if this is related.

I too was having tremendous difficulties with the BOARDS since Monday.

A little while ago, I did a Windows Update and it loaded several 'fixes' .

After that my system rebooted and I have not had any more difficulties.

This could be related to having something cleared out as a result of the updates or just coincidence. Not sure but thought I'd post.

I certainly feel your pain. I'm hoping this doesn't come back.

I was having problems with the screen freezing over the weekend. There were not a lot of posts on this board, nor on the others I read on CC, so I don't think it's a busy time.

I would be able to post two or three times, then the board would freeze.
I could access other areas of CC -- news, find-a-cruise, etc. -- but not the message boards.

I just left and came back later, posted again 2 or 3 times, then had the freezing problem again.

I figured it was my computer!

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I got 8 of those updates from Windows yesterday - didn't make any difference - still am having problems. I got cut off while making a post on this board around 12:18 and couldn't get back on any board until around 1:20 or so.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]I also got another weird message about 1/2 hour ago - something about my making 2 posts within 30 seconds. That's a laugh - I'm lucky if I get a post in every 2 minutes. On another board I have noticed that some poeple are able to get 2 posts within a minute.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]And on that same board omeone else mentioned that they keep their computer on to cruise critic 24/7.[/color][/font][/b]

[B]Tidbits from another CC Addict...[/B]
Boy, am I glad to find this message thread...I am relieved to know that the problems I've been experiencing with the CC Boards don't relate to my "old" computer or my "slow" dial-up service. Like the rest of you, I'll try to be patient and hope that Laura can resolve this issue somehow. In the meantime, our addictions are going to be tested!

Debjo (a confessed CC and cruising addict)

Archived