should cruise lines stop visits to Russia?

SeaBands

Based on principal I do not see me setting foot in Russia again or spending one dime in their economy. Yes, I know the little guy gets hurt when people cancel excursions, etc. But they need to get the message.

We had originally thought we would do a Baltic cruise again this year, but after Russia's antics invading the Crimea, we decided to look for another cruise, and are so glad we did!!

Reminder;

reminder. Please limit discussion to the topic; the reaction(s) by hal to the ukraine matter. This is not a foreign affairs forum so discussions of the political implications that are not cruise related will be removed.

Thanks.

As I had to travel for work I learned that our country alone has more interesting places to visit and beautiful vistas than can possibly be visited in a single lifetime. So I 'vote' with my feet and wallet, occasionally 'supporting' less popular locales and shunning some favorably-perceived locales. If enough of us opt to forego cruises that visit a country's ports - for whatever reason - that would be an economic incentive (disincentive?) for cruise lines. There are so many places I would like to see, including St. Petersburg and the Crimea, but them not now.

My wife and I are booked on the 12 day BAltic Adventure next month. No word yet of HAL cancelling the stop and overnight in St. Petersburg and they better not!!!:mad::mad::mad: My wife is Russian and still has family in St. Ptersburg who we are looking forward to spending time with. CAn't wait!!!:D:D:D

Edited by mrluckycharms

Think they should ban all travel coming and going just like Cuba!

I suspect that boycotting Russia as a cruise destination would be about as effective as the US travel ban on Cuba: the Cuban tourist industry is booming and is one of the main sources of revenue for the island. HAL and other lines will probably remain apolitical and continue to include Russia as long as it remains a lucrative market.

I personally won't cruise there unless there are significant changes, but I don't foresee the cruise industry following suit.

We took a Finnair sponsored land tour of Leningrad in January 1984 right after KAL 007 was shot down. We were apprehensive but went ahead with the trip anyway. Nervous? Yup. Unsafe? Nope. We figured that the Soviets had nothing at all to gain by harming innocent tourists.

Fast forward to 30 years later. Why would 298 innocent people be intentionally killed by Russia? Dunno, but the incident certainly does not inspire confidence that Russian travel is safe anymore.

I don't think anyone thinks it was intentional. As of today it hasn't been proved that the Russians did it.

"Should cruise lines stop visits to Russia?"

No ifs, and or buts... the answer is one word ABSOLUTELY!

You are right ,and not only ocean cruises but river cruises as well,and Airlines.

Even if during WWII the majority of concentration camps were Ukrainians,but those are dead now.the tourist economy would be hurt.

You are right ,and not only ocean cruises but river cruises as well,and Airlines.

Even if during WWII the majority of concentration camps were Ukrainians,but those are dead now.the tourist economy would be hurt.

I've read that post ten times, I still have no idea what it means.

I've read that post ten times, I still have no idea what it means.

It means that if cruise Lines and Airlines would boycott Russia their tourist economy would be hurt and maybe Putin will think over about his dream of recreating the Soviet union. After all he annexed Crimea wich is Ukranian. And he was not even bothered.

It means that if cruise Lines and Airlines would boycott Russia their tourist economy would be hurt and maybe Putin will think over about his dream of recreating the Soviet union. After all he annexed Crimea wich is Ukranian. And he was not even bothered.

TBH it would affect him not one bit.

Edited by Surreyman