The "Better Late Than Never" Live From and Review of the Grand Princess 7-20-14

TracieABD

Absolutely loved, loved ,loved your rendition of "My Grand Time on the Grand". She is also my favorite ship. I had so many chuckles reading your review, your humor is contagious and so very funny and the description of the yoga tipsy is a hoot. Would love to cruise sometime with you.......I think it would be an absolute barrel of monkeys funny!!! So glad you had a great time. We Carolineans are definitely the best!!!

Thank you for that! I loved the cruise. The ship is truly a Grand old lady. :)

oh tracie, so close and yet so far!

if I'd known you'd be in town, I would have come and met you!

then again, I have been off work and go back tomorrow, so I've been grumpy this weekend.

I hope you had an uneventful trip home!

I can't believe we did not meet up! I am such a fan of yours!

I am certain that you know the BEST places to go in Victoria. It must be amazing to live in such a beautiful city. Lucky you!

Tracie: What an entertaining and informative review! I hadn't heard about the goat cheese souffle, so I've put it on my to do/to eat list for my cruise on the Grand in February.

Goat Cheese Soufflé (henceforth to be known as GCS) is just a small mound of awesomeness. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I really hope you have a great time in the Grand!:)

Yes, based in part on what I've "learned" here, you have to ask the question carefully. Don't ask "where's lunch?", or the staff will simply say Horizon Court. If you instead ask "which dining room is open for lunch?", they'll say <blahblahblah-insert dining room here-blahblahblah-Horizon Court, Deck 14 aft> and you'll have the info you need.

Peety- It was great meeting you at the M&G. So glad to know that you understand my dachshund obsession!:)

We reached the Port of Seattle early Sunday morning. Boo.

We had ordered room service for breakfast the night before and it was delivered right on time in the morning. I ordered two servings of bacon, and I was thinking maybe 6 slices. Nope. They sent a full pig. Seriously. There was bacon for a small battalion. We ate 6 slices. I hate to waste all of that food, but there was no way...

We were out of the room by 8:15 and made our way to the Platinum Disembarkation area in the Explorer's Lounge. They had coffee and pastry and newspapers. I ran down to the IC to grab our two final iced lattes.

We were called at 9:20. It took us 4 minutes to reach the luggage. Another minute to find the 3 pieces that now weighed 97,000 pounds and 2 minutes to walk out of the port. Seriously, it took 7 minutes to disembark. 7 months to plan the cruise, 7 days to cruise, and 7 minutes to walk off the ship. Did I mention? Boo.

We called Charlotte at Already There and our car met us at post 3 in 5 minutes. We stopped at the Westin to pick up my mystery package. While everything had gone smoothly and quickly to this point, at the Westin, I waited... and waited... and waited...

Finally, with package in hand, we proceeded to the airport. Our driver dropped us at US Air. We checked in, handed over our luggage, which had expanded to 105,000 pounds (I know, I know, I have told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate!). My husband received TSA preferred check-in and I did not. I gave him all of the carry-on mess and queued up with the rest of the folk. The TSA agent took pity on me with my one little handbag and sent me to the two shortest lines. I got through security faster than my husband... Score!

I want to send mad props to Sea-Tac Airport for NOT gouging travelers. The food and beverages were priced very reasonably. Well played, Sea-Tac, well played!

Our flight was delayed by an hour, but we landed only 17 minutes late. We gathered the luggage, that lost none of its weight in flight, loaded it into the truck (which started--- whew), and made it home in 20 minutes.

Our return home was exactly what every traveler hopes for: uneventful.

I will wrap up with my live from with a review in the next little bit!:)

I am happy to answer questions in the meantime!

I'm wondering why I'm suddenly craving a BLT . . .

Annie- A loaf of bread, a head of lettuce, and a bushel of tomatoes would not match for all of that bacon. It was a little weird. Maybe they had just attended a bacon fire sale or something...

I can't believe we did not meet up! I am such a fan of yours!

I am certain that you know the BEST places to go in Victoria. It must be amazing to live in such a beautiful city. Lucky you!

backatcha! and yes, I know I am lucky to live here. next time you're in the neighbourhood....! :)

So here is the final wrap-up:

It was a wonderful cruise with fabulous family and friends.

Alaska has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. You can look in any direction and see such astounding scenery. We did see a lot of wildlife, especially eagles. Our friends, Gerrie and Will, saw many whales in Victoria on their whale watch excursion.

The Grand is just that... grand! I really liked the understated decor and soft colors. While the ship is 16 years old, the crew have worked dilagently to maintain her beauty.

I have only three complaints about the ship- I missed the center stairway. I did not think I would, but I did. I have been on two week cruises where I have not stepped foot on an elevator the entire time on board. It was so difficult to do this on the Grand, as one would have to the walk fore or aft only to ricochet back to midship. So, I took the elevators. :(

I also missed Skywalker's for the PES Lounge. The panoramic view up just could not be compared with Club One5.

Finally, I missed the Thermal Suite. I always purchase a week long pass, and this time it was a suite perk. I would have loved to relax there.

These are three very small complaints in the face of a stellar vacation. On a high note, the food was the best we have ever had on a Princess ship. Our waitstaff in the Botticelli Dining Room were the most attentive. Raquel was just the right amount of service mixed with the perfect amount of fun. I really looked forward to our dinners there.

I would certainly sail on the Grand again, no doubt. I had a magical time with my "framily".

I am happy to answer question or just banter mindlessly! :)

Thanks for cruising along!

So here is the final wrap-up:

It was a wonderful cruise with fabulous family and friends.

Alaska has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. You can look in any direction and see such astounding scenery. We did see a lot of wildlife, especially eagles. Our friends, Gerrie and Will, saw many whales in Victoria on their whale watch excursion.

The Grand is just that... grand! I really liked the understated decor and soft colors. While the ship is 16 years old, the crew have worked dilagently to maintain her beauty.

I have only three complaints about the ship- I missed the center stairway. I did not think I would, but I did. I have been on two week cruises where I have not stepped foot on an elevator the entire time on board. It was so difficult to do this on the Grand, as one would have to the walk fore or aft only to ricochet back to midship. So, I took the elevators. :(

I also missed Skywalker's for the PES Lounge. The panoramic view up just could not be compared with Club One5.

Finally, I missed the Thermal Suite. I always purchase a week long pass, and this time it was a suite perk. I would have loved to relax there.

These are three very small complaints in the face of a stellar vacation. On a high note, the food was the best we have ever had on a Princess ship. Our waitstaff in the Botticelli Dining Room were the most attentive. Raquel was just the right amount of service mixed with the perfect amount of fun. I really looked forward to our dinners there.

I would certainly sail on the Grand again, no doubt. I had a magical time with my "framily".

I am happy to answer question or just banter mindlessly! :)

Thanks for cruising along!

Thanks for a fun and wonderfully written review! Really enjoyed it. I am sailing on the Star shortly, and am really looking forward to Skywalkers.

Loved your review - thank you. We will be on board in less then two weeks.

You are right, Seattle is uphill both ways! We soooo enjoy walking in Boston, New York, L.A. - anywhere - because compared to home it's all flat and an easy walk.

I am grateful for all of the hills in Seattle. I only gained a couple of pounds on this cruise, and I'm certain it had to do

with all of the walking, especially on hills in Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI...

If you were on this cruise, please check your credit card charges against your on-board folio.

We were overcharged. My friends were overcharged. My BIL was over charged.

I did call Princess, and they are very aware of the problem. They promised to expedite reimbursement to our credit card.

This is very unfortunate.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Your review was wonderful! I am so happy I found it even though it is a year old. You are a great story teller!!! Thanks for your insights.:)

You are most welcome, but you may want to rethink this flattery, as it just encourages my shenanigans!

Thank you for the kind words.

• 3 months later...
I decided to try Alfredo's. I had the Grand Pizza, and it was very tasty.

Is there a set menu or can you order it the way you like it? For example, I would like a pepperoni and sausage pizza with pineapple - most places I've seen pineapple on a pizza the meat was Canadian Bacon.

Is there a set menu or can you order it the way you like it? For example, I would like a pepperoni and sausage pizza with pineapple - most places I've seen pineapple on a pizza the meat was Canadian Bacon.

When we have attended they would/could not make pizza with items that were not on the menu. :(