Alaska Skagway train derailment

taschwab53

It seems to have happened at the summit. There are any number of places on that trip up to the summit where it could have been much worse!! We have done that trip three times and never felt at risk. Will probably do it again, but we hope the investigation serves to make the trip even safer for all!! Glad the injuries were minor.

Thanks for this informative posting. I too am glad that the injuries were minor.

I have taken this train trip many times, over the years. It is always informative and fun.

I hope the White Pass and Yukon will be up and running, soon.

Thanks again.

Wow we are scheduled for this in three weeks. Hope it is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Please let us know if you get to go. Princess has a bus tour to the summit, that includes the history. This might be a good alternative. There's nothing like the train trip, however, so I hope you get to go.

Have happy and safe travels:)

Hmmm... This thread reminds me that my son bought me the hat when we were on that train. I don't really wear hats much so it's sitting on a shelf having never been worn.

Hope they get it fixed quickly. It was kind of an interesting little excursion.

As an alternative, we did the 'To The Yukon' van tour in conjunction with another tour that same day. It goes almost as far as the train does and was much less expensive. Got to stick our hand in glacier runoff. That was COLD..

View from one of the van stops just outside the BC Yukon border (You can see the train route across the way):

DSC_3673_edited-1-X3.jpg

Edited by Loonbeam

Thank you so much for posting the story. I immediately got on the phone with Green Jeep and rented two Jeep's to do our own driving tour. I was told I rented two of the last three Jeeps they had. I then called Princess to cancel our planned excursion on White Pass.

We are arriving on August 1st on the Star and wanted to ensure we weren't just stuck in town, or on a tour bus. Also, if my wife ever heard the train derailed there is NO WAY she ever would have gotten on.

I love Cruise Critic!

David

Thank you so much for posting the story. I immediately got on the phone with Green Jeep and rented two Jeep's to do our own driving tour. I was told I rented two of the last three Jeeps they had. I then called Princess to cancel our planned excursion on White Pass.

We are arriving on August 1st on the Star and wanted to ensure we weren't just stuck in town, or on a tour bus. Also, if my wife ever heard the train derailed there is NO WAY she ever would have gotten on.

I love Cruise Critic!

David

Don't tell her about the Concordia.

Please let us know if you get to go. Princess has a bus tour to the summit' date=' that includes the history. This might be a good alternative. There's nothing like the train trip, however, so I hope you get to go.

Have happy and safe travels:)[/quote']

We did the van tour when we were there about 10 years (and a month) ago. We did cross into Canada and an immigrations officer did board and looked at everyone's ID so definitely bring your passports if going on this excursion. We had photo stops that were very spectacular.

As an alternative, we did the 'To The Yukon' van tour in conjunction with another tour that same day. It goes almost as far as the train does and was much less expensive. Got to stick our hand in glacier runoff. That was COLD..

View from one of the van stops just outside the BC Yukon border (You can see the train route across the way):

DSC_3673_edited-1-X3.jpg

I am sorry to hear about this. It is good that there were only minor injuries.

Loonbeam. Love your picture.:):):)

We had our tour canceled on the 25th, as it wasn't running yet.:(

Really disappointed as this was the main excursion we wanted to go on.

We where to take the bus up to the Yukon and the train back.

They rebooked us on a bus only tour that was ok, but at least it was a lot cheaper. Saved enough to almost pay the NCL service charges for the 3 of us :p

We are scheduled next Monday..hope it's up and running. Also hope all those that were injured are better now.

I will post if the tour from the Golden Princess goes off as planed, we did this train several years ago and loved it

Arlene

We did the railway tour on the 26th. There was work on the tracks just before the summit, presumably where the derailment had occurred. Due to the work we did an extra 12 miles into Canada before we could do a U turn (or the train equivalent).

We did the railway tour on the 26th. There was work on the tracks just before the summit, presumably where the derailment had occurred. Due to the work we did an extra 12 miles into Canada before we could do a U turn (or the train equivalent).

Sorry, 27th it was.

We were on Radiance last week and did the tour Wednesday July 30. They ran both morning and afternoon runs, 3 or 4 different trains each, so I guess all is mostly back to normal.

We were the first train of the morning (8:10) and also did the extra few miles into Canada before the turn around. This added about 45 minutes to the tour. Apparently they did the same in the afternoon, as the ship was delayed leaving Skagway by about an hour waiting for some train passengers.

Eddie