Taxis at Athens airport?

ellie1145

Has anyone used a taxi at Athens airport to their hotel?

Can they be trusted or if we opt for this method of getting to our hotel will we get ripped off?

Ay tips would be most welcome!

Thanks

about 38 euro to athens just ask,

There are signs posted at the taxi pick-up at the airport saying it was a flat rate of 35 euro to Athens. However, the actual charge was 38. Have the cash needed, not sure they can/will make change. Used the taxi several times when there in May with no problems.

DT

The thing about taxis from the Athens airport is that the 35 euro flat fee only applies if your hotel is inside the designated "inner ring." If it isn't, taxi drivers are allowed to charge you the metered rate plus surcharges, and they will.

If your hotel is in the inner ring, keep in mind that the flat fee is supposed to cover everything, including baggage handling and tolls. Some drivers will try to make a little extra by claiming that it's 35 euros plus those things. But they'll usually back off if you tell them no.

My husband and I had no problems with taxis when we were in Athens in May, and our daughter had no issues in the six months she lived there. For the record, they can and will make change, but not in huge amounts. Paying for a 35 euro ride with a 50 euro bill is fine, though.

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much everyone. How can I find out if our hotel is inside the 'inner ring?'

I know it is reasonably near to the acropolis.

If you are near the Acropolis chances are its in the inner ring, however, I'm not sure how to determine the inner ring area. We just confirmed the price of the taxi with the driver before the ride. You can also check this site out for some estimates of taxi charges http://www.athensairporttaxi.com/en/athens_taxifares_en.htm

DT

I remember seeing a map next to the airport taxi stand that outlined the inner ring. Unfortunately I can't find it online, but at least you'll be able to verify before you get in the taxi. As Dakota Traveler said, the area near the Acropolis is most likely within the inner ring.

Another thought: One of the hotels we stayed in specified on their website what a taxi from the airport should cost. Maybe your hotel has something similar posted.

• 9 months later...

It is per car. And make sure that you go to the authorized taxi stand. Do not go with anyone that is in the terminal who offers you a ride or who holds themselves out as a taxi driver

Is there a train, bus or subway into Athens. We've gone this route many times (Rome, Madrid, Venice as examples).

Yes, there are busses and metro available.

Have used the metro many times and is very easy and cheap. Cant remember the exact price as it's been a couple of years but think around €3-4.

It is per car. And make sure that you go to the authorized taxi stand. Do not go with anyone that is in the terminal who offers you a ride or who holds themselves out as a taxi driver

itsjb1 - Thank you... Do the taxis hold two passengers with two suitcases, a suitor and shoe bag (and two carry-ons)? We travel light...:eek::p

itsjb1 - Thank you... Do the taxis hold two passengers with two suitcases, a suitor and shoe bag (and two carry-ons)? We travel light...:eek::p

Not a problem. We were 2 people with 2 regular sized suitcases , both of which fit in the trunk

Does the Metro leave right from the airport???

We took the metro back into Athens when we returned from the Islands. It goes right from the airport and the signage to find the train is pretty good. The only real downside is that as it gets closer to the city, depending upon the time of day, it gets very crowded. And we found that there was inadequate space for luggage.

Personally, I would opt for a taxi .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm using PK Travel for my transfers. Very high recommendations here on CC. You reserve via email and he'll quote you the price. Might be a little more than a regular cab, I don't know. The owner lived in NJ for 25 years speaks perfect English, gets back to you right away.