Pee & ... Oh

technogogo

Just back from our 2nd cruise on Azura. Something happened which left me very uneasy and I'm interested in peoples views. Especially anyone who knows about pools and pool chemicals, pool sanitisation etc...

Short version: woman urinates in one Oasis pool hot tub. I tell reception. Nothing is done.

Long version:

So basically my wife and I were enjoying a day in the retreat. We were taking our lunch on the chairs in the shaded area, overlooking the Oasis pool. There was a woman on her own in one of the two hot tubs. As I lean forward to take a bite from my very tasty coronation chicken wrap, this woman very clearly urinates in the hot tub. She was a very large woman and created a significant quantity of yellow. She swished it around but then stayed in the tub! Yes really. This really happened. I would not have been visible to her before leaning forward. Even then, I was, in effect, peering over the edge of the balcony so could see her do the deed. There was absolutely no doubt about it. I think the term is Grandstand Seat.

So I now had a monkey on my shoulder. I wasn't happy and started to wonder what would be the correct 'protocol'. I guess many people would have yelled at her and caused a scene. But thats not me. I could mention to the two gents who run the retreat area? But they weren't in sight and anyway are servers. Not deck officers or security or maintenance or Spa or whoever best to address? So I decided to call reception. They could then notify the correct 'responders'.

I told what I'd seen and where to the receptionist who answered. The man didn't ask me for my name but I'd have been happy to give that. I returned to my chair. Finished my lunch. Returned to my comfy sun-bed. Also still overlooking pool. Other people had got into the hot tub by now. Which I wasn't happy about. Where were the responders? What would happen? Well.... essentially nothing did.

About 20mins after I called reception a lady from the Spa came out and spoke to her. I couldn't hear what was said but it sounded like advice cheerfully given and they parted with smiles. May have been just chit chat? About 20mins after that a uniformed deck officer turned up. Ah ha I thought, now she's for it! But he only took photos of some broken tiles nearby - perhaps for the upcoming Azura refit? This was Thursday 17th July at around 2:30pm in case P&O want to know. Again. My call to reception was around 1:20pm give or take 10mins or so.

So urine is sterile. But only in healthy people and presumably only before it is filtered through the gusset of a ladies swimsuit? Pools are full of chemicals. Maybe this isn't an actual problem? It is certainly gross and it did spoil my time in the retreat, especially when nothing was done and other people were getting in and out of the same tub. The woman, lets call her the perp, stayed in the tub for five hours! No really. According to overheard conversation of a friend who came to see where she was. So I'm guessing not just the one pee?

So - much disappointment with P&O response.

Yuk Yuk Yuk. I haven't yet been tempted into a hot tub on any of my cruises. Now I think I'll never give them a try. I think it's disgusting no-one did anything about this. I think I might have been tempted to say something to the filthy woman myself though.:eek:

I have got no doubt this is a daily occurrence in every swimming pool, hot tub,and othe similar facilities both on cruise ships ,health clubs,and similar leisure facilities all over the world. That is why the water is continually filtered and recirculated with various chemicals added.While onboard on various cruises we have noted crew members taking regular water samples from both the swimming pools and the hot tubs at various different times during the day. I am no expert in pool maintenance but I am quite sure within the plumbing there will be various sensors built in to help maintain the health of the pool. I fully agree it is a disgusting act but these things happen, a couple of years ago we witnessed a female vomit in the main pool, which was immediately closed, emptied, cleaned and then refilled causing it to be out of service for a full day that was on a P&O ship can't remember if it was Azura or Ventura.

I doubt there's a single pool in the world that isn't half urine. Not a nice thought, but it happens. I've not been a fan of pools since I was about 12 and had to vacate our local swimming pool while they fished something all together less sterile out with a net. :eek:

I haven't used a hot tub for years, basically because of what may be swishing around among all the bubbles. As already posted I am sure that is only a part of what goes in.

I wonder what would happen if a small sign was put up saying-if you do anything in this pool that you shouldn't , remember other guests may see you.

The habits of some people are really disgusting.

That is why I have never used public toilets on a ship, I will always walk back to my cabin. Even if it is quite some distance.

Ugh, that's put me right off ---- can not imagine how lazy some of these people are who can't be bothered to get off their bottoms and walk an extra few feet to use a toilet. :eek:

Ugh, that's put me right off ---- can not imagine how lazy some of these people are who can't be bothered to get off their bottoms and walk an extra few feet to use a toilet. :eek:

Perhaps the problem was that she had several glasses of iced water delivered to her, perhaps this and the water thread should be merged, or is that swished around :)

Perhaps the problem was that she had several glasses of iced water delivered to her, perhaps this and the water thread should be merged, or is that swished around :)

The problem was more likely that she was being kind to the waiters and not ordering the water - hence the vivid colour ;)

Just back from our 2nd cruise on Azura. Something happened which left me very uneasy and I'm interested in peoples views. Especially anyone who knows about pools and pool chemicals, pool sanitisation etc...

Short version: woman urinates in one Oasis pool hot tub. I tell reception. Nothing is done.

Long version:

So basically my wife and I were enjoying a day in the retreat. We were taking our lunch on the chairs in the shaded area, overlooking the Oasis pool. There was a woman on her own in one of the two hot tubs. As I lean forward to take a bite from my very tasty coronation chicken wrap, this woman very clearly urinates in the hot tub. She was a very large woman and created a significant quantity of yellow. She swished it around but then stayed in the tub! Yes really. This really happened. I would not have been visible to her before leaning forward. Even then, I was, in effect, peering over the edge of the balcony so could see her do the deed. There was absolutely no doubt about it. I think the term is Grandstand Seat.

So I now had a monkey on my shoulder. I wasn't happy and started to wonder what would be the correct 'protocol'. I guess many people would have yelled at her and caused a scene. But thats not me. I could mention to the two gents who run the retreat area? But they weren't in sight and anyway are servers. Not deck officers or security or maintenance or Spa or whoever best to address? So I decided to call reception. They could then notify the correct 'responders'.

I told what I'd seen and where to the receptionist who answered. The man didn't ask me for my name but I'd have been happy to give that. I returned to my chair. Finished my lunch. Returned to my comfy sun-bed. Also still overlooking pool. Other people had got into the hot tub by now. Which I wasn't happy about. Where were the responders? What would happen? Well.... essentially nothing did.

About 20mins after I called reception a lady from the Spa came out and spoke to her. I couldn't hear what was said but it sounded like advice cheerfully given and they parted with smiles. May have been just chit chat? About 20mins after that a uniformed deck officer turned up. Ah ha I thought, now she's for it! But he only took photos of some broken tiles nearby - perhaps for the upcoming Azura refit? This was Thursday 17th July at around 2:30pm in case P&O want to know. Again. My call to reception was around 1:20pm give or take 10mins or so.

So urine is sterile. But only in healthy people and presumably only before it is filtered through the gusset of a ladies swimsuit? Pools are full of chemicals. Maybe this isn't an actual problem? It is certainly gross and it did spoil my time in the retreat, especially when nothing was done and other people were getting in and out of the same tub. The woman, lets call her the perp, stayed in the tub for five hours! No really. According to overheard conversation of a friend who came to see where she was. So I'm guessing not just the one pee?

So - much disappointment with P&O response.

I am disgusted by this, both that someone would do it, and by P & O's response.

Having read the other replies I can see I am naive, as I really would not have expected that sort of thing to be considered a daily experience. Goodness,I take the signs about showering before using the facilities seriously.

I am appalled by P & O's response. Whilst I can see from their point of view they can't "accuse" a passenger of that sort of behaviour on the say so of another passenger. Having received that sort of information they should have acted. To me appropriate action would have been asking the lady in the Hot Tub to vacate it as they wished to clean it. Thus giving her an indication of, "we know what you did! And it's not acceptable" plus saving poor unsuspecting naive passengers, like me, sitting in it.

I won't ever get in one again :(

It is absolutely disgusting that someone could do that.

Sadly its not unusual as some have said.

We had a visitor attraction for a number of years and I was initially astounded at what some people do and that is males and females. Nothing surprises me now. Some stories I have heard from people who owned Guest Houses would shock most people.

I understand the OP didn't want to confront the woman but I would have had no hesitation and I would have pushed the matter with P&O as well.

I do have a hot tub at home our protocol for use is only myself and husband the water quality is checked and controlled daily, changed regularly, filters cleaned, as well as always showering before getting in.

I would NEVER get in a public hot tub!!!

The thought of the water quality in the ones on board ship makes me shudder the water temperature means you shed lots of hair and skin, with all the sun creams, deodorants and perfumes as well as anything else..... YUK!!

I am a keen swimmer and know a little about looking after an open air pool. Swimming pools are a little different due to the cooler water temperature and the quantity of water but again the water quality needs monitoring and controlling. I do use the pools on board except after very heavy use when even to the naked eye the water is cloudy and poor quality with an oily surface, thankfully on the ships I have noticed this is one of the times when they are emptied and the water changed overnight.