Tropical Depression Forming Near Caribbean

Hi All,

We are leaving tomorrow for 9 night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise on Explorer. This is our first cruise in the Summer months as we usually cruise in March/April or May. I'm a little worried about this new tropical depression forming south of the Caribbean right now. I've been watching the Hurricane center but it's still a bit early to predict where it's headed. I did read it would take about 5 days to get to Puerto Rico which is Sunday. We will be at sea then and on our way to St Maarten.

If anyone has any more information about the possible storm, please pass it on. My other question, will the Captain let us know ahead of time if we cannot stop at a particular island etc? I know the Captain will keep us safe and will avoid any bad weather as much as possible. What has been your experiences in the past? Trying not to stress out :confused:

Don't worry about the possible storm building and ruining your vacation. After all....you

are on a floating hotel that can actually travel away to avoid it, unlike others in hotels that are staying along the beach.

We are on EN the end of next week going on a mini cruise to the Bahamas. If it comes

this way, we may not make one of our favorite ports of call, Coco Cay, but we will have

fun anyway.

Stay safe and enjoy your cruise! :)

BTW: We are looking forward to our first time on EX the end of next month

on a nine night to NE.

Edited by island lady

We sailed on Enchantment last month and we learned about hurricane Arthur forming right off the coast of Florida literally as we were driving to the port. Although we kinda figured that Coco Cay would be canceled, nothing was said until the next morning at our scheduled arrival time. Our port day turned into a sea day and a new list of daily activities was quickly distributed by cabin stewards. We just sailed away from the bad weather and by mid afternoon, we were in the clear. Instead of arriving in Nassau the next day, we arrived that afternoon and spent the night there.

Don't stress over something that you have no control over and be assured that your Captain's first goal is to keep you safe, even if it means taking you somewhere besides where you planned on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks all, I'm sure it will be OK. I remember on our Majesty of the Seas cruise in Dec 2007, we had some bad weather and were unable to get to Cocoa Cay too. We ended up in Freeport. I'm just really hoping that the storm will be heading north as we are heading south and we don't get too much of the bad weather.

Our local weather man has said it has an 80% chance of forming into a tropical depression in the next 5 days. It looks like it will head into the Atlantic however there is one projection that has it going to Jamaica. He does not think it will stay organized long enough to become anything significant.

Our local weather man has said it has an 80% chance of forming into a tropical depression in the next 5 days. It looks like it will head into the Atlantic however there is one projection that has it going to Jamaica. He does not think it will stay organized long enough to become anything significant.

Thanks for the update.

Here's the web site to watch, if you want to. You'll really get better info there than on Cruise Critic ;)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Yes great website. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,

We are leaving tomorrow for 9 night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise on Explorer. This is our first cruise in the Summer months as we usually cruise in March/April or May. I'm a little worried about this new tropical depression forming south of the Caribbean right now. I've been watching the Hurricane center but it's still a bit early to predict where it's headed. I did read it would take about 5 days to get to Puerto Rico which is Sunday. We will be at sea then and on our way to St Maarten.

If anyone has any more information about the possible storm, please pass it on. My other question, will the Captain let us know ahead of time if we cannot stop at a particular island etc? I know the Captain will keep us safe and will avoid any bad weather as much as possible. What has been your experiences in the past? Trying not to stress out :confused:

What date are you sailing? The next 9 day sailing of Explorer is shown as August 14th.

There is a 5 night sailing to Bermuda on August 9th. The Captain should tell you about any weather-related changes as soon as he knows for certain what will happen, but hurricane courses can change quickly so he may not know what will happen until sometime into the cruise.

What date are you sailing? The next 9 day sailing of Explorer is shown as August 14th.

There is a 5 night sailing to Bermuda on August 9th. The Captain should tell you about any weather-related changes as soon as he knows for certain what will happen, but hurricane courses can change quickly so he may not know what will happen until sometime into the cruise.

We are leaving tomorrow, July 31st for the 9 nighter. I am sure the Captain already has this storm on his radar so to speak. I have a feeling when we board tomorrow, we may already have something in our cabins telling us about the new itinerary or something to that effect. Still hoping for no changes but we shall see. Hey at least we are cruising and will be having fun on board for sure. ;)

We are leaving tomorrow, July 31st for the 9 nighter. I am sure the Captain already has this storm on his radar so to speak. I have a feeling when we board tomorrow, we may already have something in our cabins telling us about the new itinerary or something to that effect. Still hoping for no changes but we shall see. Hey at least we are cruising and will be having fun on board for sure. ;)
Looking at the present forecast for the storm I don't see it impacting your cruise. However tropical systems can be very unpredictable so everyone will just keep an eye on it.

Looking at the present forecast for the storm I don't see it impacting your cruise. However tropical systems can be very unpredictable so everyone will just keep an eye on it.

Thanks I really hope you're right. Either way we are on a cruise and will just go with the flow. Can't control the weather unfortunately lol. Appreciate all the responses and good information . Happy Cruising!

I don't think you will have to worry about this one!

From NOAA:

"TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 200 PM EDT WED JUL 30 2014 For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico: 1. Showers and thunderstorms associated with an area of low pressure located about 1000 miles east of the southern Windward Islands have been gradually decreasing since yesterday. However, environmental conditions are marginally conducive for the development of this system into a tropical depression during the next couple of days. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should monitor the progress of this system as it moves west-northwestward near 15 mph.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent.

Forecaster Pasch"

I don't think you will have to worry about this one!

From NOAA:

"TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 200 PM EDT WED JUL 30 2014 For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico: 1. Showers and thunderstorms associated with an area of low pressure located about 1000 miles east of the southern Windward Islands have been gradually decreasing since yesterday. However, environmental conditions are marginally conducive for the development of this system into a tropical depression during the next couple of days. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should monitor the progress of this system as it moves west-northwestward near 15 mph.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent.

Forecaster Pasch"

Thanks for passing on the information. It can rain in San Juan until we get there on Tuesday, lol.

Hi. We were on a celebrity cruise in 04 when we had a bunch of hurricanes. We could not get into port because hurricane Jeanne shut it down. We had 2 extra days at sea. The captain circled Key West so we could get cell phone reception to call family and otherwise he just kept us out of bad weather ( not there was bad weather when he went close to the keys, it was nice and sunny out) . There was plenty to eat and drink on board although the menu was slightly more limited. The captain kept us well informed of weather updates. As we live in Florida my husband kept saying if we have to evacuate this was the best way.