Traveling with Child to Bermuda Celebrity Summitt from NJ

mcollazo

Hi all. We have cruised numerous times to Bermuda. This coming August we are traveling with a 6 year old child and so it will be a new experience for us. Have a few questions hoping you all can help me with.

- Can we board at any time? We received documentation with a preferred time of 3:30pm, that seems rather late for a 4:30 sailing. We are driving in and parking at the Port Parking and wanted to get their early to avoid traffic and lines. We are also renewing our vows and so will be carrying dresses and suits and don't want to have to wait long with these items.

_We are Captain Club members, is there any priority boarding for this group?

-Can we bring bottled water?

- Our dining room seating time is for Traditional Dining @8:30, late for a little one. I tried to change it online but it doesn't allow me to. I remember years ago that when we boarded we saw the Maitre D? to see if a different time and table was available, can we still do that?

-What is the difference with Select Dining and is it worth the pre-paid gratuities.

Thank you in advance!

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

First off, I would get to the port around 11:00 or 11:30. Forget what anyone else has told you. Parking is a pain since they started construction on the new terminal.

You should be on board around Noon. Check in will go pretty fast.

Yes, you can bring your own water.

See the Maitre'd about your dining preference as soon as you get on board. He will have a station in the Rendezvous Lounge on the port side. If you then switch to anytime (select) dining, the gratuities will go on your shipboard account.

Hi all. We have cruised numerous times to Bermuda. This coming August we are traveling with a 6 year old child and so it will be a new experience for us. Have a few questions hoping you all can help me with.

- Can we board at any time? We received documentation with a preferred time of 3:30pm, that seems rather late for a 4:30 sailing. We are driving in and parking at the Port Parking and wanted to get their early to avoid traffic and lines. We are also renewing our vows and so will be carrying dresses and suits and don't want to have to wait long with these items.

- Our dining room seating time is for Traditional Dining @8:30, late for a little one. I tried to change it online but it doesn't allow me to. I remember years ago that when we boarded we saw the Maitre D? to see if a different time and table was available, can we still do that?

-What is the difference with Select Dining and is it worth the pre-paid gratuities.

Thank you in advance!

A couple of things to add on to what Wine-0 said, I definitely would get there around 11, after that you are really going to start getting crowds.

You can bring bottled water, I usually bring a case, tape it up a little bit with duct tape to hold the ends and put a luggage tag on it, you will then find it in your room with your luggage.

You can see the Maitre D when you get on and perhaps change you dining time if available. The Pre paid gratuities are the same tips you will pay once on board so unless you have a lot of on board credit there is really no difference. The Select dining lets you go to eat when you want which can be useful with a child.

Priority boarding doesn't kick in until you are Select members of Captain's Club, basically its a separate line, sometimes the regular lines are shorter. I wouldn't worry they do a good job in Bayonne.

Thank you in advance!

3:30??? You need to be on the ship by 3:00 PM. I think Muster is at 3:15 or 3:30 PM. Get to the pier between 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM and you will have no problem. If you get there that early there shouldn't be any lines. Sometimes the Captain's Club line is longer than the regular line.

As soon as you board head down to deck 4 and the maitre'd will be sitting in the Rendezvous Lounge helping people with their dining reservations. He can help you make any changes.

Select dining you can eat anytime you want. You can make reservations ahead of time or just show up.

Yes you can bring bottled water. I have seen people bring cases and just put their luggage tags on the case of water and it's delivered to the

Have a great time in Bermuda.

If for whatever reason you are forced to do 8PM- I recommend some alternatives, since the six year old will love the Fun Factory, which starts at 7PM and is over at 10PM. After 10 it's a "slumber party" where the kids lie down and watch a movie and there is a fee. So 8PM dinner will interfere with his/her fun.

There is alternate dining that you may want to try also. Qsine will be a huge hit with your 6 year old- splurge and go once (they usually offer deals throughout the cruise on specialty restaurants). Bistro on Five was popular with my son and I understand that they have even more offerings. Go there too with your 6 year old. There is also the buffet. You may prefer to feed your child at the buffet, walk them over to the Fun Factory at 7PM and then dine at 8PM as adults. It's a family vacation and there is no right or wrong. Everyone should have fun.

Also, you don't say what date you are sailing, but you should join your roll-call. Just go up to the top of this page, and click on the button that says: find your roll call. The roll-call is the thread where you can meet the folks you will be sailing with. Most likely, many of them have done this exact same cruise before, and will be able to answer your specific questions. It's also a good way to find other parents, who might have kids the same age as yours. :cool:

And, I don't know who sent you the instructions to arrive at the docks at 3:30, with the ship leaving at 4:30! :eek: But, especially if you're driving into the mess that is Port Liberty, I would shoot for getting there no later than 1:30! If you do arrive too early, the worst thing they can do is make you wait around for a while (and that can happen, anyhow).

Have a great cruise, and come back and tell us how things went! :cool:

We're driving too, and planning on showing up 10:30-11. We live close to the port, though. With our LO, mornings are better for him and the less lines the better, so early it'll be for us.

We originally had the late seating, too. No way that'll work with our kiddo. We switched to Select dining, so we can be flexible as needed. You can make a fixed reservation with that, too, or change it by the day. I find fixed seating more to the stressful time because I don't want to be late. Not fun for me on vacation! :)

Wow, the information here is amazing! We called celebrity and switched to select dining. We need the flexibility with a 6 year old and now that I know about the fun factory thanks to you all, don't want her to miss that.

Thank you all, much appreciated!

Hi - I don't have any helpful tips, but we are also traveling to Bermuda with a 6 year old daughter on the Summit, 8/24. So I'm interested in these responses too! Is that the same sailing as yours?

Hi - I don't have any helpful tips, but we are also traveling to Bermuda with a 6 year old daughter on the Summit, 8/24. So I'm interested in these responses too! Is that the same sailing as yours?

Not the OP but we're on the same sailing with our 6 yr old daughter! Since its in August, I'm thinking there might be quite a few younger ones on board. Our last cruise was Celebrity in January and there were very few kids onboard.