I need help with an iphone and posting pictures

I purchased the unlimited wifi package (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079541) and want to add pictures to the thread.

I did not bring my tablet.

I have only my iphone 4.

When I tried using it once to log on with my package, the line on top still said "roaming" and that terrified me.

How do I use my phone with the wifi on board and not have that "roaming" problem?

I know that I can upload to photobucket from my phone, right?

I purchased the unlimited wifi package (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079541) and want to add pictures to the thread.

I did not bring my tablet.

I have only my iphone 4.

When I tried using it once to log on with my package, the line on top still said "roaming" and that terrified me.

How do I use my phone with the wifi on board and not have that "roaming" problem?

I know that I can upload to photobucket from my phone, right?

Put the phone into airplane mode. This will turn off all communications. Then go back into settings and turn on WiFi. At that point you should only have WiFi and no cellular communications.

First, when you are not near shore you probably want to turn off your wireless phone service to save battery life being that you won't get a signal in the middle of the ocean anyway.

1. Turn off Wireless carrier access

Touch the Gears icon >> Slide Airplane Mode to On

2. Make sure Wi-Fi is on

Below the Airplane Mode make sure Wi-Fi is Enabled

3. Connect to a Wi-Fi Access Point

If it says "Not Connected" under Wi-Fi touch anywhere on that line and it will list the available networks. Refer to the Ship Information and choose the appropriate one.

4. Once connected to the Access Point follow the information given with the package purchase to provide any necessary credentials to access the network.

Ok, thanks, guys.

For some reason, I thought that if Airplane Mode was enabled, that blocked wifi connection.

I'll try it, and then see if I can post some pictures tonight.

:)

It does initially, that's why you have to go back and re-enable it.

First, when you are not near shore you probably want to turn off your wireless phone service to save battery life being that you won't get a signal in the middle of the ocean anyway.

1. Turn off Wireless carrier access

Touch the Gears icon >> Slide Airplane Mode to On

2. Make sure Wi-Fi is on

Below the Airplane Mode make sure Wi-Fi is Enabled

3. Connect to a Wi-Fi Access Point

If it says "Not Connected" under Wi-Fi touch anywhere on that line and it will list the available networks. Refer to the Ship Information and choose the appropriate one.

4. Once connected to the Access Point follow the information given with the package purchase to provide any necessary credentials to access the network.

Why wouldn't you get wireless phone service on the ship?:confused:

This ship does have a tower on it. Like any other tower your phone will go about it's normal business on that tower, and it will cost you an arm, leg and first born.

I was only referring to the standard carrier towers. Did a little Googling after seeing your message and do see that there is the ability to roam onto the ship's wireless tower but at rates in the neighborhood of $2.50 a minute for voice and $25 for 100MB of data I would never personally consider it.

Personally, my phone goes in the safe day one and does not come out until the end of the cruise. :)

I was only referring to the standard carrier towers. Did a little Googling after seeing your message and do see that there is the ability to roam onto the ship's wireless tower but at rates in the neighborhood of $2.50 a minute for voice and $25 for 100MB of data I would never personally consider it.

Personally, my phone goes in the safe day one and does not come out until the end of the cruise. :)

Mine stays out - but it is my watch, camera and white noise machine. It is in airplane mode the entire trip.

Mine stays out - but it is my watch, camera and white noise machine. It is in airplane mode the entire trip.

I am thinking about getting a Go Pro but need to research how good it is as a non-video camera. (stills)

I am thinking about getting a Go Pro but need to research how good it is as a non-video camera. (stills)

It's not the best for stills. I usually record video underwater and take stills from that. I also love it for time lapses. This is from my recent Brilliance cruise out of Tampa.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apf9v4jlwkpbcj7/Brilliance%20Sailaway.mp4

Edited by CodyC815

It's not the best for stills. I usually record video underwater and take stills from that. I also love it for time lapses. This is from my recent Brilliance cruise out of Tampa.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apf9v4jlwkpbcj7/Brilliance%20Sailaway.mp4

That is pretty awesome. I will guess that was mounted on something?

How are the stll captures from the video compared to something like an 8MP iPhone photo?

That is pretty awesome. I will guess that was mounted on something?

How are the stll captures from the video compared to something like an 8MP iPhone photo?

They're good. The black edition shoots at 4k, so theyre not bad at all. It's just kind of cumbersome to shoot stills with, especially if you wanna go back and forth between stills and video. I'm on my iPad now but can post some examples later.

There are several mounts on their website. For that one I used the flex clamp mount. I stayed with it at the front when we sailed out of Tampa, then put it on our aft balcony and left it to record while we went to dinner (I tied it with a shoelace to the balcony just in case it fell off).