Can I get a copy of a key to my kids room?

Sail2k

We are cruising on Freedom next Sunday and with 5 of us they are making us technically put my Wife in 1 room with 2 kids and myself in another room with 1 kid. So obviously once onboard my wife is going to stay with me (I hope)(at least for the 1st half of the cruise..LOL)

So my question is, will they give me a copy of a key to their room or not? I can't say at checkin that we are changing it up once we are onboard, so I am wondering if they will just give me a copy to their room or not. Normally we would just trade keys and be done with it, but my wife and I are getting the drink package, so she will have to have her room key (to the other room) with her at all times. I think it is silly that someone has to be 21...my kids are 20, 17 and 16...not like they are little kids

We are cruising on Freedom next Sunday and with 5 of us they are making us technically put my Wife in 1 room with 2 kids and myself in another room with 1 kid. So obviously once onboard my wife is going to stay with me (I hope)(at least for the 1st half of the cruise..LOL)

So my question is, will they give me a copy of a key to their room or not? I can't say at checkin that we are changing it up once we are onboard, so I am wondering if they will just give me a copy to their room or not. Normally we would just trade keys and be done with it, but my wife and I are getting the drink package, so she will have to have her room key (to the other room) with her at all times. I think it is silly that someone has to be 21...my kids are 20, 17 and 16...not like they are little kids

Yes, you can get an extra key. See Guest Services after you board.

I guess your rooms are not to each other or across the hall from each other, if they were you wouldn't have to book an adult in each room, unless 2 of the kids aren't yours.

You will be able to get an extra key after you board though.

We have done this many times, DH and I in a balcony, kids across the hall. No problem to get extra keys to both cabins so we can check up on the kids and they can get to us when needed.

Exactly! We always got extra keys for our two children across the hall to have for ours as well. :)

LuLu

When we sail, we have friends stay in either a inside or promenade.

I get them a key to our suite, so I do not have to let them in.

So it is not just for kids you can get a extra key card for.

Even us over 50ers, can get them, but like they say,

you can not charge on them.

You and the kiddies are going to have fun.

:D

The important point is that you get extra keys at guest services ON the ship, after checking in. If you ask at check in, they will not do it and they may raise a stink about you wanting to sleep in different rooms from where you are booked (we are always up front on board about this and NEVER have anyone mind once on the ship).

Like a PP, we have even gotten extra keys for adult friends to use our balcony, even if we are not there to let them in :)

Thank you all for your responses. Maybe that is why we have never been able to get a copy of the room keys...because we asked at check in.

I know people have said that they have been able to book rooms with just their kids in one, but I have never been able to do this. Is there a trick I am missing? TA vs. online vs. making thru RC directly? We have sailed a bunch with our kids and no matter what the situation, joining rooms, rooms across the hall or whatever...they have always made us put my wife on 1 room and me on another. We have just gotten used to it that I have given up and just accepted it as normal....lol

This is the 1st time tho that we will be on totally separate decks because they had no more joining rooms when we booked the 1st time....also the 1st time we are going to try the drink package, we used to just swap keys and no big deal, but this time that won't work for that.

Once again, thank you all for your replies....is it the 10th yet?

We've done it a couple of times and never had a problem but we did book with RCI directly (over the phone, not online). The cabin has to be directly across the hall or next door. Adjoining cabins aren't even necessary. My sister and brother in law have done the same with their kids. I do believe that one of the kids has to be 18 or over though. Fortunately our son hit 21 last year. I would try calling RCI directly next time you book.

Thank you all for your responses. Maybe that is why we have never been able to get a copy of the room keys...because we asked at check in.

I know people have said that they have been able to book rooms with just their kids in one, but I have never been able to do this. Is there a trick I am missing? TA vs. online vs. making thru RC directly? We have sailed a bunch with our kids and no matter what the situation, joining rooms, rooms across the hall or whatever...they have always made us put my wife on 1 room and me on another. We have just gotten used to it that I have given up and just accepted it as normal....lol

This is the 1st time tho that we will be on totally separate decks because they had no more joining rooms when we booked the 1st time....also the 1st time we are going to try the drink package, we used to just swap keys and no big deal, but this time that won't work for that.

Yep, ask onboard. We have done this 8 times on RCI in the past three years, and it has never been an issue with guest services at all :)

You (or your TA) have to do it over the phone. It cannot be done online. And the kids cabin must be right next door, or directly across the hall. We've never had to book one adult in each room by following this procedure.

And just to reassure you, customer service is happy to provide extra keys.