Coral Princess 15 day Panama Canal (full transit)

adambsmom

We are considering the Coral Princess 15 day full transit Panama Canal cruise for December 5, 2015. Any advice, thoughts, experiences, etc?

Is it worth taking a mini-suite as opposed to a balcony?

Has anyone used other tour companies for shore excursions?

What about getting from the airport to cruise terminal and visa-versa at the end?

Have always found these boards helpful.

Thanks,

B

We are considering the Coral Princess 15 day full transit Panama Canal cruise for December 5, 2015. Any advice, thoughts, experiences, etc?

What about getting from the airport to cruise terminal and visa-versa at the end?

Thanks,

B

In Ft Lauderdale just take a cab, its less then $15.

In LA take Super Shuttle/Prime Time Shuttle $16-$17pp or a cab runs about $60.

Its always worth sailing in a mini.

We have done this twice and love our mini over balconies - the extra room is nice on a longer cruise and the full bathroom is a clear winner over the small shower in the balconies.

For the canal - it doesn't matter which room you have as you should experience the transit from the top, the promenade, the front and the back of the ship - each gives you a different look.

In Los Angeles we either take a cab or Prime-Time Shuttle (there is also Super Shuttle) and in Ft Lauderdale a cab if you are using FLL and not Miami.

Thanks,

B

Are you sure it is the Coral Princess? I see Island Princess for 12/5/15. Anyway, mini suites are nice, but don't take the mini suite for the purpose of viewing the canal from your balcony. The best views of the canal are from the upper open decks where you can walk around from side to side.

Take a cab in Ft. Lauderdale. Under $20 for two from the airport to pier. But, suggest you arrive at least one day early. In L.A. use super shuttle or prime time, about $20pp which is less and easier than the Princess transfers.

The last time we were in Punta Arenas, CR, a number of people on the roll call put together private tours. You should join the roll call.

B

We're doing a 17 day full transit from SF next year. We're booked in an inside. While I would prefer to be sailing in a balcony or a mini I also feel that, for canal viewing, we would be topside no matter what category of cabin we booked.

If the price isn't that much different, I'd go for the mini. I love having the couch and larger bathroom with tub. For me, I look for a covered balcony as the sun can be very hot on this cruise, but this is all up to personal taste.

To bigchild: No, you do not need reservations for Prime Time or Super Shuttle in Los Angeles, but you may get a slight discount by booking in advance.

We're doing a 17 day full transit from SF next year. We're booked in an inside. While I would prefer to be sailing in a balcony or a mini I also feel that, for canal viewing, we would be topside no matter what category of cabin we booked.

You've got that right. Even a balcony cabin isn't great since you'll be missing out of something. You've got to circulate around the ship mo matter what cabin you're in.

You've got that right. Even a balcony cabin isn't great since you'll be missing out of something. You've got to circulate around the ship mo matter what cabin you're in.
Keep in mind that you'll only be viewing the canal 1 day out of 17.

We are booked for April 2015 and just moved from a balcony to a mini as we like the space, coach and bath. Karen

Just enquiring - are you on the 12 April sailing because for me that is showing no minis available. I'm booked on a balcony and have been thinking more space in a mini might be a more pleasant experience, but it doesn't look like there are any available. I'm thinking in regard to the 15 days aboard, not so much the one day of canal crossing.

Keep in mind that you'll only be viewing the canal 1 day out of 17.

Yes, as I said earlier, I'd rather be sailing in a balcony or a mini. For canal viewing I'd rather be up top. For the rest of the cruise I'd prefer a balcony, mini, or suite. However, I'm a lowly state employee and - despite the BS spread in the news about the overpaid, underworked state employees who retire at age 50 with 100% pay - finances have dictated that if we take this cruise in an inside cabin we will be able to do another cruise as well.

I realize that, from reading these forums, it would seem everybody always sails in a balcony, mini, or full suite but that really isn't the case. Somehow all of those "horrible" inside cabins do seem to get filled every cruise.

Yes, as I said earlier, I'd rather be sailing in a balcony or a mini. For canal viewing I'd rather be up top. For the rest of the cruise I'd prefer a balcony, mini, or suite. However, I'm a lowly state employee and - despite the BS spread in the news about the overpaid, underworked state employees who retire at age 50 with 100% pay - finances have dictated that if we take this cruise in an inside cabin we will be able to do another cruise as well.

I realize that, from reading these forums, it would seem everybody always sails in a balcony, mini, or full suite but that really isn't the case. Somehow all of those "horrible" inside cabins do seem to get filled every cruise.

As one of those retired state employees I can vouch that 100% at 50 is not the norm. :):) What I did for part of the transit on the Coral was sit in the Piazza bar by the window and watch the ship rise and fall against the walls of the canal. It was fascinating! We also went up on deck to see a wider picture even though we did have a balcony. The transit takes awhile, so you do have time to move around.

Another CA state employee here (teacher). Let's not forget that teachers can do an awful job and never be fired if they have tenure...another popular misconception. Back to the Panama Canal. This is the first cruise I intend to take after I retire. I don't know if I'm ready to do an inside yet, but obstructed OV are fine for me. I had balconies on the first 3 cruises I took and liked them, but the price difference on the obstructed OV allows me to cruise more. SF to FLL would be perfect. Have a great canal cruise!

Hi two black dogs! My DH was playing on the Princess website last week and found this cabin???

Track, we are both retired Florida teachers and yet have discovered we will cruise less for more comfort. We are grateful for a state retirement and SS!

Karen

The worst place to watch is behind the plexi-glass on the upper decks. Go out to the viewing decks on decks 10 and 11 in the front and decks 9, 10 and 11 in the rear. Look over the side on the promenade deck. Try your balcony for a bit. Most definitely watch one lock from the International Café windows...it was the best view of all and we got warm chocolate chip cookies to eat while we took it all in! In the middle of Gatun Lake, the QE passed us in the other direction. I got it on video and my grandson still likes to watch it, two years later. Ships horns a blowin', passengers cheering on both sides and so close you can't imagine!

We had a mini on the port side heading north to Ft. Lauderdale. We avoided the afternoon sun in our cabin until we transited the canal, then we kept the drapes closed to keep the cabin cool. The sun is intense.

We were on the Island sister to Coral. We had a mini suite and I have to say the extra room was really nice. I also liked viewing the canal on the promenade deck. It kind of felt up close and personal. And most people were up on top. Also a fun place to sit after the heat gets to you is down on deck 5 in the atrium by a window. It was interesting for a while watching the ship go down then up in the locks. One minute sunshine then a wall with barnacles. A very weird experience. Then cookies and coffee. Not a bad life. :)