Need advice on casual elegant

laughoutloud

Hi:)

MrsMoose, please don't be nervous:) after what you have gone through, this should be a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful time. Yes, we all talk about dress codes on here and what we all like and what we don't...our differences and what makes us all individuals.

But I do hope you and hubby have a fantastic time~and relax and hopefully those butterflies will fly away.

Hi Kim and Jane:D

Mrs. Moose...My mil was on the Paul Gauguin in the Spring and there were no formal nights. She absolutely loved it! ;)

So funny...my nickname at a former place of employment was "moose"....very long story.

Congratulations, Mrs. Survivor!!! Your celebration is well deserved!

I'm with you....I could definitely cruise without formal nights! IMHO, the "formal" nights seem rather contrived. Although our next (only our 2nd) cruise is on Princess next year, I would just as soon leave the "formal" to the rest of the pax. We will, however, schlep all the "stuff". We dine out frequently and have opportunities throughout the year to dress for the occasion, so formal nights on a cruise ship are nice, but not something we desire by any stretch of the imagination. Hmmmm...perhaps we'll have balcony dining on the formal nights on Princess.

Enjoy your first cruise.....it's the dream of your life.....here's to you and happy sailing!!! ;)

To Jane, to answer your question re Radisson and formal wear, this is my very first cruise ever. From what I'm told is that Alaska (unless it's the longer repositioning one) and the Paul Gaugain (Tahiti), they have formal nights.

This is my 5 year breast cancer survivor cruise.

This year I took my mom on a cruise to celebrate her two year breast cancer survivor milestone. Each "clean" test result is a real cause for rejoicing in my family. We plan to celebrate as often as health and finances permit.

I hope you will take the time to post a review upon your return.

Enjoy every minute!

Jane..make that four of us. ;)

About 6 months ago, I took a poll here and asked people if they would do away with formal nights altogether. The poll showed a vast majority here love the formal nights. Like you, Moose, I don't "get it" - all the shopping stress, extra packing, etc. But, the three of us are very much in the minority on this and I certainly accept that most of the people here just adore the formal nights aboard ship. Jane

Hi Caviar Girl, How wonderful I'm so happy for your mom, Congrats to her, may she have many more celebrations in the future, and I wish her many many more cruises. And yes, every clean checkup is a cause to celebrate. I'm so happy for your mom.

To all, thank you for your kind words and wishes. They are very much appreciated.

I need to correct the way I phrased something. This being my first cruise I can't say for certain, but I know my Alaska cruise is ccc and I'm told the Paul Gaugain is as well. All the others they say have formal nights.

Of course I'll come and tell you all about my cruise as I hope ya'll will tell me all about yours.

You ladies are so nice, it's a pleasure to "talk" to you.

Again, to CaviarGal, congrats to your mom, you keep celebrating, any way and as much as you can with your mom. I'm so happy for her and I wish her continued good health.

As for those formal nights, hubby says for Alsaka no way, like brining a tux to for an African Safari to him, he wears a suit and tie every day for work and he want to relax on this trip. As for me, lol, I'd sure stick out, I'd buy a ladies tux and wear that. I did that years ago when "Le Smoking" was in, YSL made it big that year, I believe the early 80's, now that was comfortable "formal wear", lol.

Jane, you remember a resto called Tucano in NYC attached to Club A?

Hi MrsMoose, thanks:) a cruise is one time I don't mind having my picture taken.

(They come out better with my own camera though) I never buy the ones

from the ship's photographers.

All those on webshots were taken with disposables!

I hate to have my pic taken, and this with a hubby who loves photography as a hobby.

Those are really nice pics, doesn't matter what kind of camera you used, I enjoyed them and would never have guessed they were from a disposable.

The only thing that matters is that you are having fun and enjoying your trip.

Thanks again:) that is what I meant....for 6.00 I got alot of photos! I am one of those folks who doesn't pay them to take my picture;)

But of course, if I had any brains I would find a nice digital camera and learn how to use it:eek: one of those things.....I feel so digitally challenged!

Again, I always have a great time on my cruises though:D it is soooo

lovely being pampered for a week!

Reading all your posts has made me sad. We're going on a Med cruise for 12 days (husband and two grown daughters), and I've been told by all of them that I have to pack everything I want to take into a 20" suitcase! We're also going to travel around Italy after the cruise for two weeks, so for a MONTH, I have to live out of a tiny bag! There'll be no formal nights at ALL for me! My daughter said it will make it much easier when we get off the ship. Boo hoo. No cute cruise clothes. This is gonna be SOME challenge. Will have to do wash several times, I guess. Does everyone feel sorry for me???

Reading all your posts has made me sad. We're going on a Med cruise for 12 days (husband and two grown daughters), and I've been told by all of them that I have to pack everything I want to take into a 20" suitcase! We're also going to travel around Italy after the cruise for two weeks, so for a MONTH, I have to live out of a tiny bag! There'll be no formal nights at ALL for me! My daughter said it will make it much easier when we get off the ship. Boo hoo. No cute cruise clothes. This is gonna be SOME challenge. Will have to do wash several times, I guess. Does everyone feel sorry for me???

Actually, I think you should tell your daughters and hubby to lighten up a bit!

I am recently back from a 7 night Med cruise and 4 nights in Italy. I travelled with my 73 YO mother. I limited us to one 26" rollaboard and a good size carry on each simply because I am very familiar with the trains there and knew hauling all that baggage up and down stairs in the heat was going to be mostly up to me. You have three able bodied family members to help out each other so I personally think this arbitrary restriction is a bit silly.

While I absolutely agree with packing light and having clothes cleaned as necessary, I would not agree to restrict myself to a small bag, especially with a cruise as part of the trip. I packed two formal outfits and had dresses, skirts and slacks for the rest of the evenings aboard, all in lightweight jerseys, silks, etc. For day, I packed linen skirts, dresses and one pair of capris. I had plenty to choose from!

Well, their argument is that we need to keep it REALLY light because we're going to be getting off trains in small, out-of-the-way towns, with cobblestone streets and lots of steps and do LOTS of walking, and I'd be SO sorry if I had a lot of baggage. And I'M usually the one who packs much too much. I know they have a point, but I'm gonna feel like a schlep the whole time, plus miss formal nights. My hubby doesn't want to lug around a suit and dress shoes, so I guess I'll have to be happy sitting in the buffet in my wet clothes, wet from having to wash them constantly! Say, thanks for you reply...

Suzy,

How about packing some "cruise only" clothes and then when getting off the ship, before continuing on in Italy, going to a UPS or DHL and then mailing them back to yourself at home?

Additionally, you might be able to find some very thin, lightweight and easily packable evening wear and DH can rent a tux from the cruiseline.

Jane

Ok, first, I agree with the other ladies here, but I would not limit myself for the entire trip to the one small bag if I wanted to bring more. I would do as Jane says and ship my "cruise wear" home via fex or UPS or whatever. Secondly, if you took your suitcase, (bigger one that would make you happier) would you be able to lift/carry it and deal with it, if yes, then why would they care.

Good luck

Suzy

You can do it if you put your mind to it! And if you go shopping for new clothes!;) All those silky/ polyestery dresses & skirts can be folded so so small, don't wrinkle, and don't weigh much. I just bought a nice ankle-length dress & the sales girl put it in this little bag that should probably hold a pair of earrings!

Suzy,

How about packing some "cruise only" clothes and then when getting off the ship, before continuing on in Italy, going to a UPS or DHL and then mailing them back to yourself at home?

Additionally, you might be able to find some very thin, lightweight and easily packable evening wear and DH can rent a tux from the cruiseline.

Jane

Jane makes two good suggestions here. Some cruise lines actually assist with this shipping process so I would ask.

Most of my evening clothes were silk chiffon and silk jersey; easy to pack, lightweight and comfortable. There are some great styles available that will not take up much room in a suitcase.

My only other comment is that I have travelled extensively through Europe by train over the past 30 years. While the train stations are a hassle, there should only be one set to navigate unless you are making connections, which means there will be three normally.

As for the cobblestone streets, I think this is only an issue if you plan to sightsee while wheeling your bags! Italy is not a third world country. There are luggage carts everywhere and taxis readily available. I think there is a middle ground here.

Dear Mrs. Moose,

Double check about your Radisson cruise and the requirement regarding formal attire. We've traveled on the Mariner and very recently on the Voyager (spring 05). In the past, we did Diamond and Flower. We've also traveled with NCL, HAL, Celebrity, Princess. The long and short of it is that Radisson is the dressiest of all these lines. Most of the men wore tuxedos on formal nights, and on an 11 night cruise there were either two or three of these. The rest of the men did either the white jacket with bow tie garb or a dark business suit. As for the women, WOW! Many of them were dressed in beautiful frocks or St John's tops and you did not have to look far to see diamonds and emeralds and rubies. I used lots of dressy tops with a long black skirt for evening. Even on casual nights, I would wear a long cotton skirt with a black top. We quickly figured out that very few pax wore t-shirts with pictures on them during the day and no one wore jeans during the day—more polo shirts, cotton shirts, khakis.—upscale country club. We were the exception, for on tours we would do the jean and t-shirt thing for ease and comfort. A few others sported t-shirts on shore excursions, but most of those were t-shirts bought along the trip. Our recent cruise with Radisson was a long one—half the world, so things are considerably different on shorter cruises. But I found that during the day I was wearing outfits I normally would wear on HAL on casual nights. We prefer a less formal way of dressing, so we probably would not go back on a long Radisson cruise. Blue Whale

Thank you Blue, Radisson assures me it's CCC for the whole trip. I think that's because you may have done a longer one, mine is 7 nights and it even said CCC in my docs.

When I say t-shirts I'm talking like St. Johns, Ellen Tracy, Lafayette 148.

I will only be on one "Radisson Shore Exursion" as I've booked the rest privately as hubby wanted all private tours with no other "people". So all other tours except for the TracyArm which we had to take through Radisson, we will be alone with the tour guide, so it won't matter much.

I really appreciate you telling me, but hubby won't do the "black tie" this trip regardless, he would rather eat en-suite.

thanks again

Thanks for all your suggestions regarding taking only one small carryon for an entire month, including a 12-day cruise! I'm going to see this as a challenge. Can I do it? Probably not. Sending some of the clothing and shoes home right after the cruise is a great idea. I'm going to run that by my hubby and girls. Gosh, part of the fun of a cruise is buying new clothes and figuring out what to wear. Wanna be as cute as the rest of you gals!!!

Radisson's Alaska itinerary is all CCC, as is the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. Most other RSSC 7 day cruises have a single formal night, longer cruises have more. My 10-day cruise in Europe next summer on Voyager will probably have 2. I don't sweat it, I have nice velvet pants, a glittery jacket, and a bunch of nice camisoles. Hardly anyone wears a formal gown, at least not that I've seen, and everybody is happy wearing what they are comfortable with--when all is said and done, nobody really cares. My husband gets by with a dark suit, which he bought specifically for this purpose, and only otherwise wears for weddings and funerals.

Hi Wendy, thank you for the "no one really cares". That is our philosopy, but I was almost afraid to say something like that so as not to hurt anyones' feelings.

You are so right, while I want to conform to the "ship rules" out of politeness and respect, I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of my clothing.

I think we each have our own style, our own lifestyles, comfort, and budgets, not to mention, love of shopping and fashion. Some people just normally hate to shop and don't give a hoot about fashion regardless of how wealthy they are. Where a person lives is also a factor. If we add all that up, it's hard to say that everyone will dress "along the same lines".

When I spoke with Radisson, a while ago, asking for a CCC description as I still say it's not the same meaning for everyone, especially these days, plus age is also a factor in this, they told me what was "acceptable", no jeans after 6pm, a collared shirt for men, no sneakers.

I have a feeling I'll see a wide range of styles, including perhaps some cocktail. Some people just normally dress that way when going out for dinner and I myself, prefer a more casual toned down look. I will consider myself dressed up for 95% occasions if I have an emblished twinset, dressy black pants, and nice ballet flats with a nice small chanel handbag (not evening bag, hate those). Nice blazer, nice silky t- black or beige dressy pants, metalic mocs and I'm about as dressed as I'm gonna be for an Alaska trip.

Hubby will not bring a suit, he will bring a navy blue sport jacket with dress pants, and some loafters for the "dress" part. He is not a jean person and more into Ralph Lauren casual (although I made him buy 1 pr of jeans for Alaska).

The bottom line is I like Wendy's words, "who really cares". Standing out is a good thing sometimes, shows you have personality and your own style.

It's not a fashion competition it's a trip to Alaska. If it were formal, I would still not do floor length, not for a cruise ship, I would do evening pant suit, or ladies tuxedo, where I could still wear flats. I won't make my feet hurt for anyone nor will I put on a pair of panty hose. I respect and even admire all those who will and enjoy it, but that's the key word "enjoy". Your "formal/evening attire" sounds perfect to me. (but I've never been on a cruise, lol)

Thanks Wendy, love your philosophy

Hi, Mrs. Moose, I just replied to you on another thread regarding shopping. I think your packing list sounds great and you and others are right, no one really cares. When we cruised Alaska last year, I remember everyone looked nice, but I have no idea what they wore. I'm with you on the formal nights, too, I do dress for them, but it is so much nicer not to have to haul along the long dresses, suits and extra shoes.

We cruised NCL, with their Freestyle dining once and while it wasn't quite as upscale as other cruise ships, it was very nice. We didn't pack formal, although we do like to dress nice and we ate at the alternative restaurants practically every night. It was a great alternative, cruising as just a couple gave us the added freedom to make choices and do what we felt like doing. I would love to one day cruise Oceania or one of the premium lines, but that will have to wait until we get the kids growed up!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, lots of nice ladies here (maybe men too, I do apologize if there are any). I did notice that you have not listed any shorts on your list, you may want to tuck a pair or two in. Sometimes the weather can be a bit warm, Sitka comes to mind. Check your weather at www.weather.com a day before leaving to see what temps you might expect and how much rain may be with you. Also, don't forget a bathing suit or two, it's lovely to have a soak in the hot tub in Alaska!

Don't be nervous, you will be spolied and pampered, probably coming home to book another trip, or even book while you're still onboard. Finally, I'd love to see your town, is Montreal where Kathy Reichs bases her novels? We almost got up there a couple years back, but opted to go to Nova Scotia instead, that was a lovely trip.

Hi Happy KS,

First, if you ever come to Montreal, please feel free to contact me, perhaps even meet for a cocktail or lunch/dinner and perhaps a "private tour guide" (me). I'm not sure I don't know the author to be honest. I read a lot, but I've never heard of her.

Thanks for all the help, I don't own shorts, never liked them when I was young, and I don't own a bathing suit, hated those even as a kid, lol. I go to Maine, and I don't own a bathing suit. I don't know how to swim, don't care for the beach or pools or hot tubs, just "not my cup of tea". I would not even consider the hot tub, I mentioned the hot tub to hubby the other day and he said "forget it" also, he will be maximizing his photo ops or resting for those other photo ops.

I suppose if I were going to Tahiti I would buy a bathing suit for the "underwater walk" (no swimming required), but I never sit in the sun either.

It's true, I remember what I wore but I don't remember what anyone else wore to any dinner/party I go to, as I really and truely "just don't care", and this is not meant offensively to anyone, I just think everyone wears what they are happy with and can afford and who am I to judge and why should I care. Again to offense to anyone.

I will never wear heals for fashion, I would not make my feet hurt for anyone espcially a cruise, lol. I tried, about 4 years ago I bought 1 pair of "boots with heals" not high by any means, my mom said, "not for you" I wore them 3 times, had to have physical therapy for a month for my knee and I gave them away to the cleaning lady who loves them. I called my PT (private guy I use from time to time) and he said, what were you thining? and laughed, I did not think not being able to bend my right knee without pain was very funny.

I love what you wrote you wear for "formal", now that is absoultely what I would wear for formal.

Archived