Off topic - Miami Dolphins game

Arizona Travelers

I am taking a cruise in December and realized I will be disembarking on Sunday, December 7th. My home football team (Baltimore Ravens) play the Dolphins in Miami that day at 1 pm. I am looking at packages to attend the game but coming up with logistical issues (buses leave to tailgate at 8:30 am, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this work? Some additional information, we are leaving on a second cruise on December 8th and have already booked a hotel using points at Aloft - Brickell for December 7th. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate it!

I am taking a cruise in December and realized I will be disembarking on Sunday, December 7th. My home football team (Baltimore Ravens) play the Dolphins in Miami that day at 1 pm. I am looking at packages to attend the game but coming up with logistical issues (buses leave to tailgate at 8:30 am, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this work? Some additional information, we are leaving on a second cruise on December 8th and have already booked a hotel using points at Aloft - Brickell for December 7th. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate it!

Rent a car for the day.

The stadium is way out in the suburbs. I'm sure there will be later buses but this way you can stop by Publix and pick up your own tailgate and aren't on anyone's time frame.

You can drop the car off later that evening so you don't pay for parking. Or you can drop it off the next day and take the rental company's shuttle to the port.

I bet you can get a car off hotwire for under $30.

We don't need any more Ravens fans in our stadium. There will be enough of you "snow ravens" at the game, so go to Duffy's or a non Dolphins sports bar to watch it.

All kidding aside, Blue Herons makes a great point. Unless you plan on getting wasted, renting a car makes the most sense. They have several car rental locations in the Brickell area. Take a cab from the port to the car rental place and pick up your car. You'll have a place to store your luggage for the day and during this process you can also call the hotel to see if they have your room ready. It's a long shot but why not at least check since you will be in the area and possibly can get that out of the way.

Brickell car rental locations do close early on Sundays, so you would have to drop the car off in the morning . . . but this is a good thing IMO. You have a rental . . . use it. Go anywhere you please. The Rental should be under $40.

Next, swing by a Publix and pick up a disposable cooler, ice and beverages. Not sure how detailed you want to get with the food . . . you could go all out and get a disposable grill, coals, meat, etc. Or you could buy a Publix sub and then see who is at the stadium tailgating and possibly join them to get something off the grill.

It really allows you to be on your own schedule.

Rent a car for the day.

The stadium is way out in the suburbs. I'm sure there will be later buses but this way you can stop by Publix and pick up your own tailgate and aren't on anyone's time frame.

You can drop the car off later that evening so you don't pay for parking. Or you can drop it off the next day and take the rental company's shuttle to the port.

I bet you can get a car off hotwire for under $30.

Thank you. DH isn't too fond of driving in the Miami area so we were hoping to find an easier way but this may be our best option. Plus the packages I'm finding are pricey and the seats are in the endzone or corner, not the sideline. Seems like we should "DIY" rather than any of the packages that the ticket brokerages, etc. offer. Thank you for the help!

There used to be a super deal on game days in which you could take the public bus from the Park-n-Ride at Golden Glades and purchase a round-trip bus ticket to/from the stadium for $8 per person, but I am pretty sure that is no longer offered.

If you do rent a car, be prepared to pay $25 to park at any one of the stadium lots.

We don't need any more Ravens fans in our stadium. There will be enough of you "snow ravens" at the game, so go to Duffy's or a non Dolphins sports bar to watch it.

All kidding aside, Blue Herons makes a great point. Unless you plan on getting wasted, renting a car makes the most sense. They have several car rental locations in the Brickell area. Take a cab from the port to the car rental place and pick up your car. You'll have a place to store your luggage for the day and during this process you can also call the hotel to see if they have your room ready. It's a long shot but why not at least check since you will be in the area and possibly can get that out of the way.

Brickell car rental locations do close early on Sundays, so you would have to drop the car off in the morning . . . but this is a good thing IMO. You have a rental . . . use it. Go anywhere you please. The Rental should be under $40.

Next, swing by a Publix and pick up a disposable cooler, ice and beverages. Not sure how detailed you want to get with the food . . . you could go all out and get a disposable grill, coals, meat, etc. Or you could buy a Publix sub and then see who is at the stadium tailgating and possibly join them to get something off the grill.

It really allows you to be on your own schedule.

I'm glad to know I won't be the only Ravens fan there :D

I attended a game there in 2008 when I was in town for training with work. The Dolphins played the Seahawks. I wore a Seahawks jersey and almost got beat up by a 6 year old! :eek:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look up renting a car and doing everything myself rather than trying to fit into a package since the ones I'm finding are not meeting my needs. In 2008, we did just that, a group of 6 of us from training rented a vehicle, went to the store and tailgated before the game. It's a nice stadium for tailgating!

Thanks again for the reply.

There used to be a super deal on game days in which you could take the public bus from the Park-n-Ride at Golden Glades and purchase a round-trip bus ticket to/from the stadium for $8 per person, but I am pretty sure that is no longer offered.

If you do rent a car, be prepared to pay $25 to park at any one of the stadium lots.

That's a great idea, too bad it's no longer offered :(

Thank you for the heads up about the parking. Car rental plus parking still seems to be less than taxi fare to and from the stadium.

That's a great idea, too bad it's no longer offered :(

Thank you for the heads up about the parking. Car rental plus parking still seems to be less than taxi fare to and from the stadium.

I was at that game in 2008. I remember it well, I believe the opening kickoff we ran back for a touchdown but a flag was called on the play. Still later in the first quarter we threw like a 50 yard flea flicker for a TD . . . we ended up winning that game.

Yea if we have a losing record/out of playoff picture and you guys are in the playoff picture . . . The Baltimore fans could easily take over SunLife that Sunday. Baltimore Ravens fans travel very well and Sunlife stadium is known to get taken over by northeast teams (Jets, Bills, Patriots, Ravens, etc.) in December.

I think the other issue with taking a cab is where are you putting your luggage . . . you'd have to take a taxi from the port to your hotel, they'll store your luggage, maybe even check you in and then take the cab to the stadium and then back to the hotel after the game. At least $125 round trip and you didn't even stop for any food/drink.

I think with a car, after the game is over, you can actually do something that you probably wouldn't do if you didn't have a car. Drive over to South Beach or even head down to Aventura mall or Coconut Grove. Head over near Calle Ocho for some authentic Cuban food for dinner. I'd make use of a rental if I had it.

Hey Guys, please explain the term 'tailgating'. Here it means driving too close to the car in front! :eek:

From reading the thread i get the impression it means barbecuing on the back of a car :eek: Please explain!

Hey Guys, please explain the term 'tailgating'. Here it means driving too close to the car in front! :eek:

From reading the thread i get the impression it means barbecuing on the back of a car :eek: Please explain!

haha . . . it actually means both, well almost (lol at the BBQ on the back of a car).

The way it is used in this thread is basically a "pre game" activity that is really popular at football games that involves cold beer and BBQ. People come out to the stadium 3 or 4 hours early, park there car, pull out the grill and throw a few burgers, hot dogs, sausages, etc on while drinking beer, throwing around the football and bonding with other fans. It's called "tailgating" because in theory once you park, you place the grill near the back of your car (tailgate) and that is where the action occurs.

Yes, I suppose tailgating does have a double-meaning!

"Tailgating" literally means having a BBQ in the back of one's pick-up, or sitting on one's tailgate, but it has morphed into people bringing portable BBQ grills, coolers of food and drinks, footballs to toss, tents, etc.. Gates in the parking lots usually open three hours before kick-off, so people arrive early, tailgate, and then go into the stadium. Some people stay in the parking lot until halftime, and some never make it inside the stadium at all! Once the game is over, some people fire up the grill once again and hang out until all the traffic eases up. Fun fun!

Just want to add that you don't have to have a grill for it to be considered tailgating.

It can be as informal or as formal as you want.

I've literally been to tailgates that were served on fine china and crystal.

Just want to add that you don't have to have a grill for it to be considered tailgating.

It can be as informal or as formal as you want.

I've literally been to tailgates that were served on fine china and crystal.

This is very true. Me and a friend drove up to Jacksonville for a Fins/Jags game in 2009 and we literally stopped at Publix for 2 subs, a 12 pack and some ice. Of course when we got there there was quite a big Dolphins following and everybody was grilling. We didn't even touch our subs. Just left them in the cooler and on ice and had a blast. There were people in little RV's with the table set up with real plates eating cooked food as well.

As of last football season there wasn't any public transportation from Brickell to the stadium. I tried to find something when UF was down here playing UM. I wanted to be able to have a few cocktails and not worry about driving but was unable to find anything.

If you do rent a car, it's not a long drive from here to the stadium and it's an easy drive. They open the parking lot 4 hours prior to kick-off for tailgating.

Have fun if you go to the game. Go Ravens. We disembark on 12/6 and were going to go the game also when we saw the schedule that they were going to be playing the Dolphins. We are staying 2 days precruise so just couldn't make it work to stay post cruise. Kind of wish we were on the Allure now and would have disembarked on 12/7.

Have fun if you go to the game. Go Ravens. We disembark on 12/6 and were going to go the game also when we saw the schedule that they were going to be playing the Dolphins. We are staying 2 days precruise so just couldn't make it work to stay post cruise. Kind of wish we were on the Allure now and would have disembarked on 12/7.

Thank you! That's too bad that your cruise doesn't work to go to the game. I'm definitely going, the two cruises are for my milestone birthday this year. When I discovered the Ravens are in town, I knew I wanted to go. I'm just trying to get the logistics figured out. I have everything booked for this trip except the game. Since none of the game packages I found work, we will be buying our own tickets and the prices for the seats I want are pricey so I'm going to wait and watch them for a while. DH doesn't like the idea of renting a car so we will most likely just take a taxi. We may buy a ticket to the tailgating party through one of the package places if we think we will be there long enough for it to be worth it. I'm really looking forward to it, I've lived outside of Baltimore (Arizona and now Texas) for over 14 years so I don't get to see the Ravens live very often! Go Ravens!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. I suppose it doesn't happen too often at Packers home games :D

Yes it does. Maybe not so much in December. But in September through November, it's pretty nice in Wisconsin. I went a few tailgate parties while an undergraduate at Marquette (in Milwaukee).

Thank you! That's too bad that your cruise doesn't work to go to the game. I'm definitely going, the two cruises are for my milestone birthday this year. When I discovered the Ravens are in town, I knew I wanted to go. I'm just trying to get the logistics figured out. I have everything booked for this trip except the game. Since none of the game packages I found work, we will be buying our own tickets and the prices for the seats I want are pricey so I'm going to wait and watch them for a while. DH doesn't like the idea of renting a car so we will most likely just take a taxi. We may buy a ticket to the tailgating party through one of the package places if we think we will be there long enough for it to be worth it. I'm really looking forward to it, I've lived outside of Baltimore (Arizona and now Texas) for over 14 years so I don't get to see the Ravens live very often! Go Ravens!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

NO, no, no, NO not a taxi! It will cost you at least $200. My husband works near the stadium and we live about two miles from the port and it take him 40 minutes and 30 miles to get to work and he works very close to the stadium.

Also, there will not be cabs after the game. Pembroke Pines is such a suburb that there is no public transportation.

Seriously, rent a car.

Hope people don't mind me asking here....I am a huge NFL fan, many fond memories watching the Oakland Raiders (my late Father's favourite team) growing up. We live in Toronto and the CFL is just not the same. I have never gone to an NFL game and was just saying to my husband what a great Christmas present to me!!! I make my husband and 2 daughters watch football with me every Sunday (not too successfully though :rolleyes:).

SO I just looked and Miami is playing the Vikings on Sunday, Dec 21st, the day before we leave on the Pearl......some questions....

1) Where to buy good, hopefully reasonable tickets (the cruise is quite an expense), should I use their official site with Ticketmaster?

2) People are mentioning "packages" with tailgating, what/how to get these?

Any other helpful suggestions for an NFL newbie!!!

I really, really appreciate it!

Hope people don't mind me asking here....I am a huge NFL fan, many fond memories watching the Oakland Raiders (my late Father's favourite team) growing up. We live in Toronto and the CFL is just not the same. I have never gone to an NFL game and was just saying to my husband what a great Christmas present to me!!! I make my husband and 2 daughters watch football with me every Sunday (not too successfully though :rolleyes:).

SO I just looked and Miami is playing the Vikings on Sunday, Dec 21st, the day before we leave on the Pearl......some questions....

1) Where to buy good, hopefully reasonable tickets (the cruise is quite an expense), should I use their official site with Ticketmaster?

I usually just buy tickets through http://www.StubHub.com http://www.TicketCity.com or http://www.TicketMaster.com and we drive to the stadium.

I don't know of any packages but Duffys is a major sponsor of the Dolphins so you may have luck through their website.

NO, no, no, NO not a taxi! It will cost you at least $200. My husband works near the stadium and we live about two miles from the port and it take him 40 minutes and 30 miles to get to work and he works very close to the stadium.

Also, there will not be cabs after the game. Pembroke Pines is such a suburb that there is no public transportation.

Seriously, rent a car.

:( DH is not breaking down to rent a car. I'm going to have to keep working on him or give up the idea of going to the game :mad:

I'm watching all of the re-sale ticket sites in hopes of finding tickets in the section I want at a reasonable price :rolleyes: I hear the prices go down the closer you get to the game.

As far as packages, I was able to find various groups that put together packages for the Ravens away games (game tickets, transportation, tailgating, most also have hotel and airfare options but I didn't need those since I'll already be in Miami). ravenstrips dot com, bmorearoundtown dot com, ravenettetrips dot com and fandeavour dot com. However, these packages are pretty pricey and I'm picky about where I sit so they are not working for me.

I hope this helps and you are able to attend an NFL game while you are in Miami! :)

:( DH is not breaking down to rent a car. I'm going to have to keep working on him or give up the idea of going to the game :mad:

Duffys does have the Dolphins Express. Is it a day game? If the game starts at noon, the buses are going to leave really early.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/w3q3re