Full Review of Oosterdam cruise

nana51

Okay, I'm home with a real computer and can give a real review.

First off, Best.Vacation.Ever. So I'll start with that. We loved almost every minute. There were 7 of us, all women. We had three cabins with 2 in 2 cabins and 3 in another. We had rooms 5147, 5149 and 5151. We opened the balconies between the rooms and it was great. nothing special about the rooms, very typical. Not big balconies or small either. Clear plexiglass and on the starboard side. I can't imagine not having a verandah in Alaska, especially for Glacier Bay. We were in and out there all day. Of course we had incredible weather. It was sunny and 73 in Ketchikan!!

We left out of San Diego at zero dark thirty July 23rd. Connected in Seattle and landed in Anchorage around 3:30. The oosterdam took our bags and delivered us to the Westmark very quickly and smoothly. We were quite disappointed with the hotel. we did like the fact that everything was all arranged for us and all we had to do was pick up our packets and head to our rooms.

The rooms...........if any of you have stayed at the Anchorage Westmark you know what I mean. Rundown, worn out, depressing and our room smelled horrible. The t.v.'s weren't even flat screens (silly complaint really) the furniture was all scuffed up and peeling. It looked like a poorly cared for motel 6. The restaurant was good though.

We walked around Anchorage in the beautiful sunshine. We were excited and ready to see all Alaska has to offer.

The next day we took a tour of Anchorage and also the portage glacier. We loved it. Our guide was wonderful and we learned a lot about Anchorge, the earthquake of 1964 and it's effects. we also went to the wildlife animal rescue site. Saw moose, elk, bears, eagles, and reindeer. It was really nice. Great start to our day. We had dinner at the mall because we are cheap and went to bed ready to take the train to Denali tomorrow.

Second day we went on a excursion to Portage Glacier and the wildlife center. It was pretty good and we had a great guide. I've noticed most of the guides were young college students who do this in the summer. They were all so pleasant and very well informed. We went on a small boat out to the glacier and saw it very close. Everything has been going VERY smoothly. No glitch yet. The only glitch was not due to anything from HAL. Another couple who came went bicycling the first day. The husband crashed and broker his shoulder. They had to leave. Very sad. A year's worth of planning. Another one of our group got bronchitis and missed all but one excursion. she said it was Bronchitis, I think bad cold. By staying in her cabin at least no one else got sick. The rest of us sailed through the cruise. The staff at the hotel has been very nice, just the hotel feels like it is still in the 60's or something. I don't think it represents HAL very well at all. One of my friends who has never sailed HAL before was a little worried about what the ship looks like. I would have been too if I was new.

O.K, no more pictures as they come up huge on my computer and I don't know how to fix it. I have a fair number of pictures on my "North to Alaska" post.

So, we get up, and head downstairs to catch our bus to the train. We decided to eat breakfast on the train as none of us are morning eaters. We were also warned it took a while to be fed. It really depends on where you are sitting on the train. After a quick 5 minute bus ride to the train we got on and were pretty excited. They arrange everything. You don't even have to pick up your luggage. The night before you put out your bags. Depending on which tags you use they will go to the ship, or with you to Denali. Some did both. I just had one bag (a REALLY BIG bag) and had mine travel to Denali with me.

The train trip is about 8 hours and you have assigned seats. They were very comfortable and the time flew by. We went down to breakfast when our section was called and were really hungry by them. We were probably an hour and a half in before our turn. Breakfast was quite good. It is always fun eating on white table linens on a train.

We looked out the window, oohed and aahhed and waited for lunch. Had a nice big burger and enjoyed the rest of the trip.

We had an excursion at 6:00 and hoped we wouldn't be late getting in. We arrived at 5:15 so we were fine. They gave us our packets on the train with all our info and room keys. Very nice. One problem..........the time for our wilderness tour was 5:40 a.m.!! Our river rafting cruise was a 6:00 until 9:30 p.m. Couldn't they have given us a later time? They had times between 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Out of the 7 of us, only 2 went and they didn't go river rafting the night before. We were happy to sleep in a relax. We got up and headed over to the Sourdough restaurant which is more casual than their other restaurant. They only had a buffet until 9:00 a.m. We weren't hungry enough to spend $19.00 so we said we would come back at 9:00 when they had the regular menu. We were not happy. We came back at 9:00 and the "a la carte" menu wasn't available? They had no cook? WTH? We were hungry and upset and the manager suggested we go to the fancier restaurant. They had everything and it was the same price. WHY didn't they tell us that at 8:00? So we went in and had a nice breakfast with great service. They couldn't believe what we told them. We then went across the street and shopped out little faces off. Just a lot of cheap souvenirs but still fun.

They had fleece jackets on sale for $10.00 and we all bought one. If you look at my pictures you'll often see us all in the same fleece jacket. We had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant and had a wonderful last evening in Denali.

O.K. we get up early and get ready to take a very long bus trip to Seward where we will board the always lovely Ms. Oosterdam. We grab snacks as we will be stopping for lunch. I'm beginning to think I will never take another bus, I will be wrong however. The ride is fine but we are excited to get to our ship. the driver is really nice and the day is lovely. We never had a hint of rain from then on. The biggest thrill of the day was seeing Mt. McKinley. We were part of the 30% group. Maybe even a smaller percent since our driver said he hadn't seen it this clear in years. It is remarkable, unbelievable, and words cannot express how beautiful it is.

We stop in Wasilla to have lunch at a place that does catering. It was a lunch buffet and was adequate. Breads, fruit, cheeses, and lunch meats. It was pretty busy but by the time we left it was ridiculously crowded. So glad we beat the rush. We went on our way to Seward. When we arrived there was no wait to board, or anyone in line. We got on with no problem and headed to our cabin. Went right out to our verandah and looked at our beautiful view. We did notice that our explore 4 card was not in our room. After heading over to the greenhouse spa and buying our passes, (which we asked to have on separate cards,) we went down to the front desk where they informed us we do not have the explore 4 program. they wanted us to supply proof! ***. We left steaming and went to look through all our papers. It was only on our first papers we received which no one had with them. After many phone calls, a steamed up travel agent (who was part of our group) it turns out they gave us a price drop which we knew about, but they NEVER said it was the price drop or the explore 4. Everyone on here has said when they were offered a price drop they were told if they took it they would lose their explore 4. They did not tell us that. So far they have given us $50.00 and $29.00 for the lost pinnacle dinner. We are not happy. I myself, don't care, because I don't drink, but two of my friends drink a fair amount of wine and beer and would never have agreed to dropping the program.

We finished our day with a beautiful sunset .