San Diego on Golden

parisbully

Princess does a few coastals each year that include San Diego as a stop, but none originate or terminate there that I know of.

We sailed out of San Diego on Princess back in 2007-2008 when Dawn Princess was homeported there. Yes, its a lovely port. On our last sailing, we took Amtrak down from LA. Very convenient...the Amtrak station is a block away.

We sailed out of San Diego on Princess back in 2007-2008 when Dawn Princess was homeported there. Yes, its a lovely port. On our last sailing, we took Amtrak down from LA. Very convenient...the Amtrak station is a block away.

I wish Princess would return a ship to SD. It is an easier drive for me than to San Pedro, and the airport is also not far from the pier for those who fly in. And yes, Amtrak is also close by. Nice pics RickEk, BTW!

Edited by Ryndam2002

I wish Princess would return a ship to SD. It is an easier drive for me than to San Pedro, and the airport is also not far from the pier for those who fly in. And yes, Amtrak is also close by. Nice pics RickEk, BTW!

Thanks... on our last cruise out of San Diego, they were holding the Red Bull air races. The Navy put on a show too... we had a ringside seat. :)

2472909108_a3a1120d8a_z.jpg?zz=1Dawn Princess - Ensenada - Day 1 077 by RickEk, on Flickr

2472909894_a2f6534954_z.jpg?zz=1Dawn Princess - Ensenada - Day 1 087 by RickEk, on Flickr

2472914336_b8981a5845_z.jpg?zz=1Dawn Princess - Ensenada - Day 1 117 by RickEk, on Flickr

The Holiday Inn is gone, it is now called the Wyndam, much improved.

Besides Seaport Village the old Police station has been redone with a fine restaurant,

"Seasons 52" the same one from Ft. Lauderdale.

greg

Wow - someone did some planning, and actually made a port that connects to something other than working docs??

I wonder why we are so far away from anything in some of the ports we go to - do they not realize if you put a cruise ship with 2 - 3000 people on it close to the main city - we may get off and spend some time and money!!!

I take it you've never cruised out of Vancouver or San Francisco?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depending on how long you have in port, you can take the Old Town Trolley Tour and go to the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park. Both are about a 10 minute drive from the port. You've also got the Gaslamp Quarter that is filled with restaurants.

I have to say, being a San Diego native (very few of us left :p), our port is truly in the best possible location for so much to see and do. I work downtown and love driving into work in the early morning and watching the cruise ships coming in.

Depending on how long you have in port, you can take the Old Town Trolley Tour and go to the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park. Both are about a 10 minute drive from the port. You've also got the Gaslamp Quarter that is filled with restaurants.

I have to say, being a San Diego native (very few of us left :p), our port is truly in the best possible location for so much to see and do. I work downtown and love driving into work in the early morning and watching the cruise ships coming in.

That must be so much fun to watch. I'd love that view on my way to work!

Princess does a few coastals each year that include San Diego as a stop, but none originate or terminate there that I know of.

Yes, I know, I'm on one on September 20th and did one last April. It's a really nice cruise, especially when it goes under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's an "E-Ticket" ride that's for sure!

The Holiday Inn is gone, it is now called the Wyndam, much improved.

Besides Seaport Village the old Police station has been redone with a fine restaurant,

"Seasons 52" the same one from Ft. Lauderdale.

greg

I'm not much of a Holiday Inn fan but I thought this one was one of their best. I'm glad to hear that it has improved even more.

San Diego is one of my favorite ports.

Yes, I know, I'm on one on September 20th and did one last April. It's a really nice cruise, especially when it goes under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's an "E-Ticket" ride that's for sure!

Yes, sailing under the GG Bridge is truly amazing (and I'm old enough to remember E-Tickets ;))!

Edited by Ryndam2002

San Diego question: Is there any public transportation available that can get you from the cruise terminal to the zoo, or would it be best to get a taxi? I'm not sure of the routes for the trolley system. Thanks to anyone with knowledge and experience in this department.

Ditto on the Old Town Trolley Tour. Great value and you get to see all of S.D. Also, SoCal native all of our out of towners in for a visit enjoy the tour. Best deal is to Google it and there is an internet special for 35.10 for adults.

Great time will be had by all.