Cruising with a big family

sixstrings78

Hello all. I've been on one cruise in my life and it was only my wife and I. We are currently living in Germany and are dying to go on a cruise in the eastern med. My question is, what cruise line (if any) can accomodate 6 people in one cabin? If that is not possible, can I just book two adjacent rooms? We have four kids ages 14, 13, 8 and a newborn (surprise!). Any tips as to what cruiselines I should be looking at would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are very few cabins that sleep six. Sometimes it is cheaper to book two lower category cabins than one larger occupant cabin.

Do you want adjacent or connecting cabins? Connecting have an interior door between them. Adjoining just share a wall.

A Travel agent can help steer you in the right direction. Usually HAL, Princess, Celebrity have Med cruises. There are also European lines such as MSC, Oceana, and some British ones that I cannot think of right now.

We've sailed on HAL in connecting cabins.

Decide if you want or need a balcony We don't but many people do.

Edited by SadieN

Take a look at Royal Caribbean. They have a great kids/teen program.

What we usually do is book a balcony cabin for us, and an inside directly across the hall for they kids. In your case, the baby would be with you, and depending on how the kids get along, the eight year old could bunk with the teens, or you.

Aloha,

John

Hello all. I've been on one cruise in my life and it was only my wife and I. We are currently living in Germany and are dying to go on a cruise in the eastern med. My question is, what cruise line (if any) can accomodate 6 people in one cabin? If that is not possible, can I just book two adjacent rooms? We have four kids ages 14, 13, 8 and a newborn (surprise!). Any tips as to what cruiselines I should be looking at would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

the only ones that sleep 6 are the high end suites. we are talking ten grand minimum.

2 cabins is usually much cheaper. keep in mind that there is an age minimum.. the infant may not necessary be allowed to sail at all the minimum is anywhere from 6-12 months

Take a look at Royal Caribbean. They have a great kids/teen program.

What we usually do is book a balcony cabin for us, and an inside directly across the hall for they kids. In your case, the baby would be with you, and depending on how the kids get along, the eight year old could bunk with the teens, or you.

Aloha,

John

Connecting cabins on any of the major lines would work. A good cruise travel agent can be you best adviser.

the only ones that sleep 6 are the high end suites. we are talking ten grand minimum.

2 cabins is usually much cheaper. keep in mind that there is an age minimum.. the infant may not necessary be allowed to sail at all the minimum is anywhere from 6-12 months

Actually, Royal Caribbean has family staterooms that sleep 5 (baby would be in a PnP) in various categories (ocean view, balcony, Promanade) that are way cheaper than a suite BUT have only one bath. I'd go with two connecting cabins in whatever category suits your budget.

We've cruised in the family OV cabins on Royal Caribbean that hold six--a queen, a large sofa bed and a bunkroom. The room is quite large with good storage and huge windows (at least the one we were in). We're sailing in two again, plus one inside, this Nov. with our extended family. We got a deal as it was kids sail free.

If you can go with two rooms, probably better as the only caveat with the Family OV is that there is only one bathroom. One hint is to have some of the people shower in the spa area (think: guys), which is not far from the family oceanviews; they are all the way forward.

Of course, there are suites on various ships that have more than one sleeping area, but they are pricey. Probably the best are on the Norwegain line; wow, those garden/villa suites are something else.

In Europe, you will have a minimum age to cruise of either 6 or 12 months, so no newborns. Suites are very expensive, and they are usually the ones that can handle bigger family groups. I would suggest two "connecting" cabins where you'll have a door inside the cabin to connect each one. That way, you'll have two bathrooms, that will be invaluable.

If you're looking to cruise now, you'll have a problem finding anything available at this late date, especially connecting cabins. Many people book at least a year out to get the cabins they need.

All cruiselines, at least, the mainstream ones, do have connecting cabins....you don't want "adjacent"...that simply means side by side....you want the connecting doorway between the 2 rooms, for easy and immediate access to your kids.

Ship cabins are not as large as hotel rooms....5 or 6 in one cabin would be awful....2 connecting cabins is the way to go.

I would recommend getting 2 rooms...getting ready in the morning and for dinner is a nightmare with one room..trust me!!! Royal Caribbean offers Large Family Staterooms that sleep 6..with 2 "bunks", a king, a couch sleeper and another pull down. They are spacious, but only have one bathroom. The only reason I would look into booking one room is to get the 3rd-6th passengers discounted, but from my past experience it is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums