Key West

dolphin lady

Carnival Magic, Freedom- Galveston

Carnival Dream- New Orleans

Carnival Ecstasy, Victory- Miami

Occasionally Sunshine, Liberty or even Sensation (new years 5 day)- Port Canaveral

Cut down the options due to the government regulations. It's a shame. Beautiful port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If the local Conch Republic had their way, there wouldnt be a single cruise ship allowed there. Instead of having people drop some money there over a four hour period, they want you to spend $everal hundred dollar$ a night in their small, antiquated hotels, if you can call them that.

We too the bar crawl off the Freedom three years ago. Lots of fun, but a few condescending looks from the locals as we made our way through.

We liked the city, pleasant enough with some interesting history, but not worth a six hour drive from Tampa, or a few hundred bucks for a flight in a cropduster. Carnival could really clean up with cruises from Tampa, but they are rare..

Edited by zephyrhillscruisers

If the local Conch Republic had their way, there wouldnt be a single cruise ship allowed there. Instead of having people drop some money there over a four hour period, they want you to spend $everal hundred dollar$ a night in their small, antiquated hotels, if you can call them that.

We too the bar crawl off the Freedom three years ago. Lots of fun, but a few condescending looks from the locals as we made our way through.

We liked the city, pleasant enough with some interesting history, but not worth a six hour drive from Tampa, or a few hundred bucks for a flight in a cropduster. Carnival could really clean up with cruises from Tampa, but they are rare..

I don't know of very many small cities that want thousands of people invading them everyday and leaving. Key West is not a small country that relies on tourism for desperate money, but a city in Florida that does very well.

I don't know of very many small cities that want thousands of people invading them everyday and leaving. Key West is not a small country that relies on tourism for desperate money, but a city in Florida that does very well.

I don't know if I could disagree with this statement more. With over 2.6 million cruise ship, day trip and overnight hotel visitors per year, tourism is Key West's primary economic engine.

http://www.keywestchamber.org/PDF/demographics.pdf

I live in SW Florida and we drive to Key West often!! We love love love Key West and there is SOOO much to do there, weather it is your first time or your 100th time!!! What I can't stand is when the cruise ship docks there at 7am and leaves at 3pm......useless time to be in Key West!! Our cruise in December we will be on RC Brilliance and they are in from 9am-6pm (much much better).

We have found all the locals to be nothing but friendly and welcoming!!! They exist on tourism! Besides NONE of the cruise ships are there overnight, so by 5pm or so no cruise tourists. The night time is when Key West REALLY comes alive!!! Remember it is a NAVY town as well!! The Navy Seals train there! My husband is retired Navy so we stay on base at the "Fly Navy" building when we go down and enjoy Key West. It never gets old for me , we go at least a couple f times a year!!!

This is not true. The cruise ship issue is contended and the town is pretty much 50/50 about them. Most locals don't mind cruise ships...we just don't want the channel widened to allow bigger ships due to the seabed damage it would cause.

Ref the hotels comment, I wouldn't consider the Waldorf Astoria, the Marriott, the Hyatt, the Pier House, the Galleon, the Westin, Truman Annex, Sheraton Suites, Doubletree, or Sunset Key "small and antiquated."

I don't know if I could disagree with this statement more. With over 2.6 million cruise ship, day trip and overnight hotel visitors per year, tourism is Key West's primary economic engine.

http://www.keywestchamber.org/PDF/demographics.pdf

All of Florida depends on tourist. However, the city of Key West, and the residents have always wanted "less", and not "more". There is a point, where they just don't want it. The reason tourism is the primary economic engine is simply because what other business would want to be there? It's at the tip of Florida, well over a couple of hours from the next biggest city. Just because the primary industry is tourism, does not mean they want an excessive amount of it. There are only so many places to live, and the people needed to support tourism, needs to commute, and clogs up the only highway.

All of Florida depends on tourist. However, the city of Key West, and the residents have always wanted "less", and not "more". There is a point, where they just don't want it. The reason tourism is the primary economic engine is simply because what other business would want to be there? It's at the tip of Florida, well over a couple of hours from the next biggest city. Just because the primary industry is tourism, does not mean they want an excessive amount of it. There are only so many places to live, and the people needed to support tourism, needs to commute, and clogs up the only highway.

You make a great point here. We love tourism in Florida because the taxes charged by hotels helps prevent us from paying a state tax.

That said, Key West is a 4x1.3 mile island. 10,000 people by ship, especially during other festivals like Fantasy Fest, lobster mini-season, bike week, etc, can be overwhelming.

Don't even get me started on US1 lately!