Flights from Rome

Highly Sociable

We are travelling with our American cousins on the QE in November. They have an option of a direct flight back to Dallas from Rome at 11.30am on the final day. Do you think that is cutting it too fine? They should be able to get off at 7.30am and if we book them a taxi will be at the airport by 9am, so that gives them time for check in.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We flew back from Rome late last night, only a European flight, but Rome airport is HUGE! It took simply ages to get to our gate, walked miles then had to get a train.

I wouldn't want to have only 2 hours to get through security and get to the gate. I think that is cutting it a bit fine.

We have done this twice, with bus from ship to airport booked through the cruiseline (in our case, Celebrity). We had priority departure from the ship, very efficient bus service with commentary, luggage assistance, etc., and arrived at the airport in plenty of time for checkin and boarding. If Cunard provides such an option, I would take it, even if more expensive than a car service.

The trip is about an hour long. A midday flight should not be a problem, in my opinion.

We are travelling with our American cousins on the QE in November. They have an option of a direct flight back to Dallas from Rome at 11.30am on the final day. Do you think that is cutting it too fine? They should be able to get off at 7.30am and if we book them a taxi will be at the airport by 9am, so that gives them time for check in.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks

Rome airport check-in is pretty hairy, expecially when travelling to the US. I'd give myself much more time. Take a later flight or stay a day or two in Rome.

That would be DOABLE, but cutting it fine.

As others said, FCO airport (and I am guessing this IS the airport you are talking about) is a mess.

Security checks to the US are tedious and longwinded as well. Better check with the airline if more than the standard 2-hour checkin deadline is needed.

If you do wish to take this early-ish flight, I would suggest this self-debarkation option, wherby you schlepp ypur own bags off the ship, rather than waiting for your allocated time to come up.

Pre-booking a taxi is also a good idea.

Also, unless it is a weekend, you might get stuck in commuter traffic around 07.00 to 08.30

We flew back from Rome late last night, only a European flight, but Rome airport is HUGE! It took simply ages to get to our gate, walked miles then had to get a train.

I wouldn't want to have only 2 hours to get through security and get to the gate. I think that is cutting it a bit fine.

Us too - what a shambles! Rome airport was not a good experience! I wouldn't risk it.

I realize it's late to comment now, but I've twice flown back to New York from Rome on the same morning as disembarking from a Cunard cruise. Both times I arranged for the earliest possible Cunard transfer (around 7 am), arrived at FCO by 8 or so, and had absolutely no problem making flights that left in the 11 to 12 noon time frame. I even had time to spend my exta euros at the shops in the airport.

Hello,

just back from QE... the disembarkation in Civitavecchia (Rome) has been very quick and I've been able to leave the ship before the 8:30, according to the schedule. The first groups have left the ship at 7:30.

Hope It helps!

Regards

ItalianGuest