Sanctuary on Royal & Regal

xdudex

Hello.

Can anyone give me an idea of the number of sunbeds on the new ships for the Sanctuary? It looks to be a lot less than the normal Grand Class ships?

I have actually been on Royal but this was the day it arrived in Southampton and things were still being organised! When I was on it the 'floor space' didn't look all that big and then was taken up with those new expensive tents with the tvs in ;)

• 2 months later...

The "best" location is considered the first row behind the windscreen. These loungers are the most protected from wind, rain and sun since they are under some cover rather than under canvas. As always, personal preferences differ.

bdd2eed72172981184629fb31b65c879.jpg

We were on the Royal last year and the Sanctuary looked about the same to me in regard to number of loungers. It was not crowded and we enjoyed it the entire week. My husband loves having his own little "home" where he can come and go as he pleases.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that you have to try to book the Sanctuary as soon as you get on the ship.

Does this apply to the individual day bookings or just a booking for the whole cruise? If we just wanted a half-day reservation, when would the best time be to book it?

Thanks,

Mary

You can only book single day/half day reservations day of in the AM (although there have been occasional rumors of evening before bookings)

I have read that you have to try to book the Sanctuary as soon as you get on the ship.

Does this apply to the individual day bookings or just a booking for the whole cruise? If we just wanted a half-day reservation, when would the best time be to book it?

Thanks,

Mary

After reading numerous threads about the sanctuary, dh and I wanted to see what the hooplah was about. So:

We ran like maniacs to get 2 loungers for the week as soon as we were on board. We paid a ridiculous amount to do that. All we wanted were 2 loungers that had the most coverage. Even by doing that, my legs were horribly sun burned. The shade on the Royal is just horrible---not enough.

Each time we went into the sanctuary, there were people on our loungers. They had snuck in to the place- while we paid the money for "our" loungers, apparently the area was not watched carefully and many were able to "sneak in" and not pay. The manager told us how sorry he was- ok. Then the next day, it happened again. (We were not the only ones who felt "ripped off") Let's just say I left no tips at that place. For those of you who were on the Reflection at the Sanctuary and had no problems- I think you were just lucky.

Wow - after finding people in your reserved loungers didn't the staff require them to move? I'd be extremely miffed (and insistent) in that situation. You paid a chunk of change to reserve your special location - it's inexcusable that the attendant (or their supervisor) didn't take action.

So is my understanding correct that you can not reserve for the duration of the cruise anymore? What is the going rates?
Yes, you can. The cost of you book for the entire cruise is $30/pp/day.

Sounds like the staff on the Royal was exceptionally bad. I wouldn't have tipped them either. However, I think that's not the norm. I've done the Sanctuary several times on several different ships and the attendants have ranged from exceptional (Island) to lackadaisical (Sapphire.) I chalked the lackadaisical on the Sapphire to training new Japanese personnel just before the ship repositioned to Japan as there was quite a language barrier. I'd done the Sanctuary on the Sapphire just six weeks before and they were great. I've done the Sanctuary on the Royal and thought the staff was OK. Not good, not bad.

If I'd found someone in my lounger, I'd have said something to the staff immediately and if it wasn't taken care of right then, I would have gone to the PSD to complain. And, I would have followed up with the Captain's Circle Host with a complaint as well. Absolutely no excuse. My experience is that the staff know exactly who should be in each lounger. If they don't, they're not doing their job because that's what they're supposed to do.

Edited by Pam in CA

We were on the 10/25 Royal repositioning from NY to Fort Lauderdale. We managed to secure two lounges for the full ten days. We were told that we were the last two that they could accept for the full cruise. We never had any issues with people in our seats and we used the Sanctuary every day. I would have been all over the staff if I had found somebody in my chair. The staff during this cruise was just ok, not great, not bad. We were in the Sanctuary on the Crown and the Island and the Sanctuary staff on those ships were amazing.

We were also on the repo. When boarding we went right up and when asking about the pricing were told we could book just certain days if we wanted right then and there without having to book the whole week. So it does not seem they are very consistant with the way you are allowed to reserve a lounger. Be sure to inquire if you only want certain days.

I'm very sorry to hear about the problems others have had with the Sanctuary on various ships.

We just got off the Regal yesterday and had a very positive experience.

We were able to book loungers under cover for the entire week for $30/pp/day (as Pam said), though we were some of the last to have this opportunity because a lot of people who were doing back-to-backs from the prior 3-day cruise had the first crack at it. And, as others have mentioned, they do reserve a number of loungers for people who only want to book for a day or half-day.

We found the staff wonderfully professional and attentive, and they definitely did NOT permit passengers into the Sanctuary if they had not paid.

As for the shade, I would simply note that if you look at the material comprising the covering over portions of the Sanctuary you will see that it is not solid, so of course sun will get through. As with any location where you can see the sun, it can "get to you" and you will need to take some precautions. But, the covering does cut a significant amount of the sun's rays. We were quite comfortable and did not get burned during our time in the Sanctuary.

I hope that helps others.

We were also on the repo. When boarding we went right up and when asking about the pricing were told we could book just certain days if we wanted right then and there without having to book the whole week. So it does not seem they are very consistant with the way you are allowed to reserve a lounger. Be sure to inquire if you only want certain days.

I did mean to say inconsistant in my post.

Help! We are traveling on the Royal in January and really want to book the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. I know that many other passengers are doing a B2B and this will be their second 10 days. Does anyone have any hints on how to be able to book this? We are in a mini suite and do not have an elite status to board early.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks,

Mary

Where do you go to book for the whole cruise? This is our first Princess cruise.

Thanks!

Follow the roll call on the prior and if someone is using it on the prior trip see if they are allowed to book it for you is all I can think of.

Help! We are traveling on the Royal in January and really want to book the Sanctuary for the entire cruise. I know that many other passengers are doing a B2B and this will be their second 10 days. Does anyone have any hints on how to be able to book this? We are in a mini suite and do not have an elite status to board early.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app