Travel Guard

tncap

I just wanted to post a positive experience I just had with Travel Guard. I purchased their gold policy for an upcoming cruise that I ended up having to reschedule for work reasons. Submitted all the required documents and had a check cut within a week.

The $65 policy for both of us ended up paying back a little over $700 in non-refundable expenses. I was very impressed!

I just wanted to post a positive experience I just had with Travel Guard. I purchased their gold policy for an upcoming cruise that I ended up having to reschedule for work reasons. Submitted all the required documents and had a check cut within a week.

The $65 policy for both of us ended up paying back a little over $700 in non-refundable expenses. I was very impressed!

Good for you, thanks for sharing.

It is a seven day cruise but I insured the pre- and post-cruise stays for a total of 9 days. The policy paid out my actual losses which exceeded the amount I actually had "insured." I found that (strangely?) beneficial.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm am thinking about going with Travel Guard, but my main concern is injury or sickness while on vacation. Not so much trip cancelation.

My other concern is when filling out the information on the site, when it asks where you're going, I choose "Caribbean" because that's where my cruise will be going, but does that mean I wont be covered when flying into Florida?

I'm am thinking about going with Travel Guard, but my main concern is injury or sickness while on vacation. Not so much trip cancelation.

My other concern is when filling out the information on the site, when it asks where you're going, I choose "Caribbean" because that's where my cruise will be going, but does that mean I wont be covered when flying into Florida?

Yes, you will be covered. Travel Guard understands that people travel to multiple locations on a single trip, cruise or land-based.

Good to know. I also like how Travel Guard has an option to double medical coverage. So if I choose Platinum Coverage, that's $50k of medical coverage. Then to double it would be $100k. Sounds good to me.

Is that $50/$100k amount per person, or for the both of us together to split?

There seem to be TWO different Travel Guards. One directly through Costco, and the other with "AIG" on the front page. Are they the same?

Costco Travel Guard: http://www.travelguard.com/costcotravel/

AIG Travel Guard: http://www.travelguard.com/quickquote/?cmpid=kac-001-IO-Google-8930216&gclid=CJmrucLs2sACFRRhfgodz7UAVQ

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

There seem to be TWO different Travel Guards. One directly through Costco, and the other with "AIG" on the front page. Are they the same?

Costco Travel Guard: http://www.travelguard.com/costcotravel/

AIG Travel Guard: http://www.travelguard.com/quickquote/?cmpid=kac-001-IO-Google-8930216&gclid=CJmrucLs2sACFRRhfgodz7UAVQ

Same company but different plans. Travel Guard has many plans out there, some available to the general public and some limited to clients of specific travel agencies (like Costco). They tend to be generally the same but there can be very important differences so you have to read the fine print carefully of each plan -- you can't assume that if one plan has a certain feature they all do.

Edited by cruiseco

I booked my cruise on 8/29 with Costco travel. I have no preexisting medical condition that I know of, I'm not on any meds. I could buy the ins. now but I have another trip I'm about to take and would like to wait. Will prices for coverage go up if I wait?

Technically I could wait until before final payment to get insurance because I can still cancel and get a refund before than? Final payment day is 5/13/15, we should have most of our travel plans set by then we would only cancel if something absolutely terrible happened.

Edited by zephyrella14

Same company but different plans. Travel Guard has many plans out there, some available to the general public and some limited to clients of specific travel agencies (like Costco). They tend to be generally the same but there can be very important differences so you have to read the fine print carefully of each plan -- you can't assume that if one plan has a certain feature they all do.

It's weird because the non-Costco one has a lot more options for additional add-ons and stuff. The Costco one is super basic and doesn't have as much to choose from.

It's weird because the non-Costco one has a lot more options for additional add-ons and stuff. The Costco one is super basic and doesn't have as much to choose from.

I feel the same way. Maybe its best you call them and then they can give you a quote for the kind of coverage your looking for. I noticed that with Costco the "cancel for any reason" option is over $300 :eek: I'm going to wait a few months, I have no medical conditions. My husband and I are as "healthy as a horse" according to our doctor. I'm not worried about any waiver...

I feel the same way. Maybe its best you call them and then they can give you a quote for the kind of coverage your looking for. I noticed that with Costco the "cancel for any reason" option is over $300 :eek: I'm going to wait a few months, I have no medical conditions. My husband and I are as "healthy as a horse" according to our doctor. I'm not worried about any waiver...

Yeah, my main concern with travel insurance is "health coverage" for if anything happens or we get sick/injured and need see a doctor. I like the non-Costco one because there you have the option to "double" the medical coverage for only $18 for two people. So that means if I choose the Plantinum option ($50,000 in medical coverage/dental) I have the option to double that, making it $100,000. Sounds great.

But the Costco version doesn't have this upgrade. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a cruise coming up that I'm probably going to have to cancel due to not being given all the days off of work that I need. Luckily, I got insurance for the trip. How did you go about filing the claim? I know that they require a notarized statement from the employer, but how do you go about doing that if the employer can't/won't go to a notary with you?

I've got a cruise coming up that I'm probably going to have to cancel due to not being given all the days off of work that I need. Luckily, I got insurance for the trip. How did you go about filing the claim? I know that they require a notarized statement from the employer, but how do you go about doing that if the employer can't/won't go to a notary with you?

There are notaries that will come to your office. Just google for this service, and you should be able to find one.

You will have to read the instructions on how to file a claim with your insurance company. Usually, there's a number you call to start the claims process.

I sent in 33 pages of documents to ensure there would be no back-and-forth about missing something. I had my employer type up a form and luckily we had a notary in the office.

Bring the notary with you.

You'd be surprised how many there are and how easy it is to become one.

Ask around among your friends/acquaintances and may be pleasantly find someone works in a bank, law office, CPA or whatever and you didn't even know they are a Notary. Maybe their brother, sister, mother, friend is one and could conveniently accommodate your request.

Edited by sail7seas