Changing cabin arrangements

Invincible

I had a cabin not long ago that was opposite an inside one that had two mid-teenage girls staying in it, the parents were not next door but a few cabins up. The first few nights were fine but as they got to know other teens their room became a haven for them, doors closing all night, chatting in the corridor loudly as if trying to be annoying and little respect was shown to their neighbours.

One night at 2am I was at the end of my tether due to the noise and opened the door in my dressing gown to see 2 lads sat in the corridor begging to be let into the girls room, I asked them to be quiet as people were trying to sleep and one lad said, sorry but I'm trying to propose! I threatened them with security and they went.

It's not necessarily what your darling children will or wont do but what their new friends (who they probably will never see again so don't care) can get up to.

Edited by CCFC

Hee hee, I thought we were worried about fire or predators? Now it's just other teens trying to get into their cabins.

There were a good half dozen of them in there towards the end of the cruise, I can assure you it was no laughing matter, my door decorations were nicked not long after I asked them to calm down.

There were a good half dozen of them in there towards the end of the cruise, I can assure you it was no laughing matter, my door decorations were nicked not long after I asked them to calm down.

Now that is a case when you should have called security. If security comes and finds two children misbehaving, and wakes the parents at 2 am to insist they take action, and threatens them with ejection from the ship - I think future nights would be pretty quiet.

I'm not surprised the thread has moved to bad behaviour by other teenagers and away from predators. If you consider which is more likely (i) your child meeting other teenagers who aren't well-behaved, or (ii) someone kidnapping your child off the ship never to be seen again, more people would tend to worry about (i).

PS - I know there's a large school of thought that thinks child molesters like to work in an environment with thousands of people within shouting distance, thin walls, and no possible means of escape. From my theoretical knowledge only, I suspect this isn't true - they prefer quiet places where they can drive a car to, and away from, and a safe place where they can't be heard. I've certainly never heard of a small child or a teenager being kidnapped from a cruise ship like Madeline McCann, as one of the earlier posters was worried about.

Overnight in a cabin, often on a different deck? Emergency...fire...kids deciding they will go off for a wander whilst parents think they are asleep..weird predatory type people... Seeing children go into a cabin on their own? ..besides which...it's against the rules and regulations! But that seems quite irrelevant for a lot of people....

And it is utterly irresponsible for P&O not to provide adequate amounts of cotton wool for parents.

Thank goodness my daughter is now 18! We were allowed to have her in an inside cabin next door to ours on Aurora when she was 7, and she has been signing herself in and out of the children's clubs since she was 9.

Obviously P and O have become more cautious as the years have passed. The cabins haven't been an issue for years because my husband doesn't like cruising so since the age of 9 she has shared with me.